Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Oilers Agree On a Long Term Deal

rnh.jpg.2a6d872d98e12f813cd45f74c5fbc39e.jpg

From NBC Sports:
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Oilers agree to 8-year, $41M extension (nbcsports.com)

For the meantime, it appears as if the Big Four (McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, Nugent-Hopkins) will remain together in Edmonton.

RNH just signed an 8yr, 41M contract which carries a cap hit of 5.125M and will take the 28 year old forward to his 36th birthday.
He took a bit of a discount from his previous contract (6M) to stay on.
Contract appears to carry no crazy things like NTCs or NMCs, so, if at some point the Oilers want to trade him or RNH wants out, a deal with another team can be made much more easily.

But according to what has been written about RNH, he really does like to play in Edmonton and if all goes well, it looks like he will finish his career there.

Now the Oilers can turn their attention to a few other contracts they do well to try and re-sign as well as figuring out how they will keep Darnell Nurse and Ethan Bear around after next season... Nurse will be a UFA, Bear an RFA.

Congrats to RNH though.
Oiler for life now? 
We will see.

Nugent-Hopkins signs eight-year, $41 million contract to stay with Oilers

Forward scored 35 points in 52 games, could have become unrestricted free agent July 28

NHL.com @NHLdotcom
 1:30 PM
  •  
cut.jpg

Oilers sign Nugent-H

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins signed an eight-year, $41 million contract with the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday. It has an average annual value of $5.125 million.

The 28-year-old forward scored 35 points (16 goals, 19 assists) in 52 regular-season games for the Oilers, and two points (one goal, one assist) in four Stanley Cup Playoff games. He could have been an unrestricted free agent July 28.

After the Oilers were swept by the Winnipeg Jets in the Stanley Cup First Round, Nugent-Hopkins said he wanted remain with Edmonton.

"I love being an Oiler, I always have," he said May 25. "My goal has been to stay an Oiler. ... I've said it from Day One, I love being an Oiler and it's something I've taken a lot of pride in over the last 10 years."

The No. 1 pick by Edmonton in the 2011 NHL Draft, Nugent-Hopkins has scored 478 points (185 goals, 293 assists) in 656 regular-season games, and 14 points (three goals, 11 assists) in 21 playoff games. He's scored at least 22 goals four times in his 10 NHL seasons.

Sorry guys, I posted there wasn't anything "crazy" like NTCs or NMCs, well, I posted that, apparently, before all the contract details were finalized.
Now showing on capfriendly com, there IS indeed a NMC throughout the life of the contract, though the numbers and term were correct.

Well, STILL a good deal AAV wise for his age and skillset, but if RNH skills start to decline steadily, he will be, in fact, a tough contract to move unless he is bought out.

Wishing him and the Oilers the best though..... guy stays out of controversy, just wants to play hockey, wants to do it in Edmonton, and has the skills to help the team.
Hopefully he ages well.

NMC.thumb.jpg.639ce9ea85ab3fd32d7936300319bf78.jpg

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I'm sorry about the delayed response. I only had access through a tablet for the past couple of days, and tapping/typing on a glass screen is for the birds...

Yes, I'm thrilled with the AAV, though the term is a little bit longer than I would have preferred. This is the kind of thing you can get with a contract where the player gave up some money to stay in a city he likes. Nugent-Hopkins is a versatile player and, as Bill James pointed out many years ago, the kind of player who does a bunch of things really well, as opposed to one or two great, is the kind who can be underrated.

He doesn't rely on all-world speed to get the job done, but possesses a good hockey brain, crazy edges, and didn't play a heavy style of hockey, so his age 30+ abilities ought to stay in range.

This also represents something we haven't seen very much of at all in the Oilers history: their ability to get a good player and keep a good player without damaging the relationship to the extent that they want out of town. This is as welcome a change as I've seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1