Canes Acquire Brent Burns from Sharks

Burns traded to Hurricanes by Sharks

San Jose receives forward Lorentz, goalie prospect Makiniemi for defenseman; Carolina also gets forward Pederson

NHL.com @NHLdotcom
 3:10 PM
  •  
cut.jpg

Brent Burns was traded to the Carolina Hurricanes by the San Jose Sharks on Wednesday.

San Jose received forward Steven Lorentz, goalie prospect Eetu Makiniemi and a third-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft.

Burns, a 37-year-old defenseman, had 54 points (10 goals, 44 assists) in 82 games for the San Jose Sharks last season. He has three seasons remaining on the eight-year, $64 million contract ($8 million average annaul value) he signed with San Jose on Nov. 22, 2016.

The Sharks will retain 33 percent of the remaining salary. 

"Brent has been an elite offensive defenseman in the NHL for a long time," Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said. "He has produced at a consistent level throughout his career, and we believe adding him brings us closer to our goal of winning the Stanley Cup."

Selected by the Minnesota Wild in the first round (No. 20) of the 2003 NHL Draft, Burns has 777 points (227 goals, 550 assists) in 1,251 regular-season games and 62 points (20 goals, 42 assists) in 94 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

Burns is the Sharks all-time leader in goals (172), assists (422), points (594), power-play goals (54) and power-play points (205) among defensemen.

In 18 NHL seasons, Burns has scored at least 20 goals three times and at least 60 points five times. He won the Norris Trophy as the top defenseman in the NHL in 2016-17 when he had 76 points (29 goals, 47 assists) in 82 games. Burns has played in 679 straight games, second among active players in the NHL behind Phil Kessel (982).

The Hurricanes also received forward Lane Pederson, who had two assists in 29 games for the Sharks last season. The 24-year-old has five points (one goal, four assists) in 44 regular-season games for the Sharks and Arizona Coyotes.

"Lane is a young center who helps solidify our depth down the middle," Waddell said.

The Hurricanes (54-20-8) finished first in the Metropolitan Division last season, losing to the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Second Round.

Lorentz, a 26-year-old forward, is a restricted free agent. He had 13 points (eight goals, five assists) in 67 regular-season games last season and no points in five playoff games. Selected by Carolina in the seventh round (No. 186) of the 2015 NHL Draft, he has 21 points (10 goals, 11 assists) in 112 regular-season games and three assists in 16 playoff games.

Makiniemi, a 23-year-old goalie, was selected by Carolina in the fourth round (No. 104) of the 2017 NHL Draft, played 14 games for Chicago in the American Hockey League last season (11-2-1, 2.06 goals-against average, .922 save percentage, two shutouts).

The Sharks have not reached the Stanley Cup Playoffs the past three seasons after qualifying 14 of the previous 15. They were 32-27-13 this season, 20 points behind the Nashville Predators for the second wild card from the Western Conference.

San Jose, which hired Mike Grier as the first Black general manager in NHL history on July 5, is the only NHL team without a coach.

The Sharks signed forward Oskar Lindblom to a two-year contract on Wednesday. Financial terms were not disclosed.

The forward joined San Jose one day after he was placed on waivers by the Philadelphia Flyers for the purposes of buying out the final season of his contract. The 25-year-old had one season remaining on the three-year, $9 million contract ($3 million average annual value) he signed July 22, 2020. He went unclaimed and became an unrestricted free agent Wednesday.

•  

On 7/13/2022 at 4:11 PM, Brewin Flames said:

The Sharks signed forward Oskar Lindblom to a two-year contract on Wednesday.

A great signing by the Sharks.

I would expect before long they add his BFF who is still available Robert Hagg could play the 5th-7th D man in a pinch.

I wish Oskar all the luck on his new team. Still can't believe the Flyers moved on from him to add ND and Braun. Mindboggling dumb.

incorrect-flyers-fire-fletcher-shirt-shirt.thumb.jpg.e28f93bf450c62402b33c2919d442e1c.jpg

Where can i find this shirt????

:beer:

Edited by OccamsRazor

• 2 weeks later...

I like this signing for the Canes they get a vet and a steady one at that.

We'll see if he and Slavin can find the chemistry he and TD had.

I hope the Canes being cheap doesn't come back and bite them in the ass.

On paper it is a solid replace even if Burns is 37.

2 years would have been as far as i would want to commit without ever seeing him play in Carolina.

:PopcornSmiley2:

I'm not sure I'm wild about Burns on the 'Canes.

However, the top 4 d are all about the same age and are in their prime. 

The forwards are still good, the team is built, douchebag or not, Deangelo put up points from the blue line and they will need replaced by someone. 

Burn's presence lessens the burden on a younger player.

Now is the time to make hay if you're running this team IMO.

They had terrible luck with goaltender injuries at the end of the season. 

The roster is pretty close to "run it back" territory, and why not?  It was a good team, there are good prospects that lessen the loss of Trochek's defection for a payday.

I don't see where this move cripples the team, similarly I don't think it makes the team better either. It has strong lateral move/replacing lost production vibes.