The Way Too Early Predictions For The 2023 Hockey Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

NHL HHOF

The Way Too Early Predictions For The 2023 Hockey Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

INTERNATIONAL

Boris Mikhailov

WOMEN'S HOCKEY - 1 of the following:

Jennifer Botterill, Caroline Ouellette

BUILDER CATEGORY - 1 or 2 of the following:

Red Berenson, Howard Baldwin, Ken Hitchcock, Mike Keenan, David Poile, Bryan Murray, John Muckler, Walter Gretzky

PREDICTION # 1

Theoren Fleury

Vincent Lecavalier

Henrik Lundqvist

Henrik Zetterberg

PREDICTION # 2

Theoren Fleury

Alexander Mogilny

Henrik Lundqvist

Henrik Zetterberg

PREDICTION # 3

Theoren Fleury

Curtis Joseph

Henrik Lundqvist

Henrik Zetterberg

PREDICTION # 4

Peter Bondra

Esa Tikkanen

Henrik Lundqvist

Henrik Zetterberg

PREDICTION # 5

Theoren Fleury

Rod Brind’Amour

Alexander Mogilny

Boris Mikhailov

PREDICTION # 6

Theoren Fleury

Rod Brind’Amour

Alexander Mogilny

Curtis Joseph

PREDICTION # 7

Theoren Fleury

Alexander Mogilny

Jeremy Roenick

Pierre Turgeon

PREDICTION # 8

Rod Brind’Amour

Alexander Mogilny

Jeremy Roenick

Pierre Turgeon

PREDICTION # 9

Keith Tkachuk

Pat Verbeek

Pierre Turgeon

Jeremy Roenick

PREDICTION # 10

Keith Tkachuk

Pierre Turgeon

Jeremy Roenick

Peter Bondra

PREDICTION # 11

Andy Moog

Esa Tikkanen

Kent Nilsson

Brent Sutter

PREDICTION # 12

Lorne Chabot

Claude Provost

Doug Jarvis

Butch Goring

Zetterberg no brainer

The King. Two Henrik's getting in the same time

After that?

Fleury? Dont see it. Wasted his talent on drugs and alcohol Would never in a million years get my vote

Mogilny? Looong overdue. Would love to see him in but he always is criminally overlooked

Brind'Amour? Possible, still highly visible as one of the leagues best coaches whereas a lot of these guys have faded away post career

Roenick? would be a good solid add

Mikhailov? Belongs-period. Would love to see it

Turgeon? Not quite a hall of famer inho but a damn good player

Tkachuk? Was a good player for a long time but no.

Below that, guys like CuJo, Moog, Goring, Jarvis, Tikkanen, Bondra all were good, not great, none ever, EVER belong in the hall.

So if I were to pick, Zetterberg,m Lundqvist get in no questions asked. After that I rank them

Mikhailov

Mogilnmy

Brind'Amour

Roenick

Turgeon

Tkachuk

Fleury

So the two big ones and then any two of the next four would be my choice

37 of the 46 members of the NHL 500+ goals club are in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Three of them are still playing: Jaromir Jagr, Alex Ovechkin, and Sidney Crosby. Patrick Marleau is not yet eligible. Steven Stamkos, Evgeni Malkin, and Patrick Kane will be doing the club soon. I really wish Jagr would hurry up and retire already!! There are currently 5 eligible 500+ goal-scorers not in the Hockey Hall of Fame. I believe all 500+ goal-scorers should be inducted no matter what. I really hope there will come a day when there are no NHL 500+ goal-scorers sitting outside of the Hall of Fame. This is taking too long!

RETIRED NHL 500+ GOAL-SCORERS
NOT IN THE HOCKEY HALL OF FAME

01. 566 - Patrick Marleau - Eligible in 2025
02. 538 - Keith Tkachuk - Eligible since 2013 - 9 years
03. 522 - Pat Verbeek - Eligible since 2005 - 17 years
04. 515 - Pierre Turgeon - Eligible since 2010 - 12 years
05. 513 - Jeremy Roenick - Eligible since 2012 - 10 years
06. 503 - Peter Bondra - Eligible since 2010 - 12 years

TOP 70 CANDIDATES FOR THE HOCKEY HALL OF FAME

01. Keith Tkachuk
02. Pat Verbeek
03. Pierre Turgeon
04. Jeremy Roenick
05. Peter Bondra
06. Rod Brind'Amour
07. Alexander Mogilny
08. Vincent Damphousse
09. Henrik Zetterberg
10. Theoren Fleury

11. Mike Vernon
12. Tom Barrasso
13. Curtis Joseph
14. John Vanbiesbrouck
15. Mike Richter
16. Ron Hextall
17. Mike Liut
18. Chris Osgood
19. Olaf Kolzig
20. Henrik Lundqvist

21. Andy Moog
22. Esa Tikkanen
23. Charlie Huddy
24. Craig MacTavish
25. Kent Nilsson
26. Adam Graves
27. Brent Sutter
28. Bob Nystrom
29. Butch Goring
30. John Tonelli

31. Paul Henderson
32. Dale Hunter
33. Ken Daneyko
34. Claude Lemieux
35. Bernie Nicholls
36. Randy Carlyle
37. Bobby Carpenter
38. Gary Suter
39. Trevor Linden 
40. Ray Ferraro

41. Neal Broten 
42. Steve Larmer 
43. John LeClair 
44. Tony Amonte 
45. Rick Tocchet 
46. Dirk Graham 
47. Steve Thomas 
48. Doug Weight 
49. Gary Roberts 
50. Dave Taylor

51. Stephane Richer 
52. Brian Bellows 
53. Brian Propp 
54. Bobby Smith
55. Dave Babych
56. Jason Arnott
57. Shane Doan
58. Chris Kunitz
59. Vincent Lecavalier
60. Nikolai Khabibulin

61. Lorne Chabot 
62. Dave Kerr 
63. John Ross Roach 
64. Claude Provost 
65. Jean-Guy Talbot 
66. Larry Hillman 
67. Ralph Backstrom 
68. J.C. Tremblay 
69. Doug Jarvis 
70. Garry Unger

On 9/21/2022 at 1:47 PM, yave1964 said:

Zetterberg no brainer

The King. Two Henrik's getting in the same time

After that?

Fleury? Dont see it. Wasted his talent on drugs and alcohol Would never in a million years get my vote

Mogilny? Looong overdue. Would love to see him in but he always is criminally overlooked

Brind'Amour? Possible, still highly visible as one of the leagues best coaches whereas a lot of these guys have faded away post career

Roenick? would be a good solid add

Mikhailov? Belongs-period. Would love to see it

Turgeon? Not quite a hall of famer inho but a damn good player

Tkachuk? Was a good player for a long time but no.

Below that, guys like CuJo, Moog, Goring, Jarvis, Tikkanen, Bondra all were good, not great, none ever, EVER belong in the hall.

So if I were to pick, Zetterberg,m Lundqvist get in no questions asked. After that I rank them

Mikhailov

Mogilnmy

Brind'Amour

Roenick

Turgeon

Tkachuk

Fleury

So the two big ones and then any two of the next four would be my choice

No comments on Vincent Lecavalier, Pat Verbeek, Kent Nilsson, Brent Sutter, Claude Provost, and Lorne Chabot? I think they will all get in eventually, starting with Kent Nilsson. He was good when he wanted to be, was the saying. I don't care. He belongs in the Hall.

Edited by NHL HHOF

Vincent Lecavalier is one of my favorite all time Bolts, and no offense to my Philly friends here, but I really did vomit just a little when I saw him don Philly orange n black.
Peak Lecavalier was an awesome player.... he seemed to be able to do it all... score, set up, check, cover defensively, hell, even fight a bit.

But health was always his biggest nemesis.
Taking a right cross from Jarome Iginla was nothing compared to the barrage of hand, wrist, and/or core injuries he had following him around most of his career.

As much as I love Vinnie (I still have a white, black n silver, road captaincy jersey before they moved to the ugly Maple Leaves® color scheme, in PRISTINE condition), I don't think he is an NHL Hall of Famer.
Bolts Team Hall of Famer? Absolutely.
But he didn't have the consistency or the longevity to be considered with the NHL's very best All Time, IMO.

The tail end of his career after being bought out by the Lightning with both the Kings and Flyers also serves to taint some of his image, as sadly, many will remember him for those runs, rather than his much better, prime, healthy Tampa Bay days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

cut.jpg

Potential Hockey Hall of Famers debated by NHL.com writers

Elias, Mogilny, Osgood among those mentioned as players, Poile as builder

https://www.nhl.com/news/potential-hockey-hall-of-famers-debated/c-337511082

Paul Henderson

Reggie Leach

Pierre Turgeon

Alexander Mogilny

Patrik Elias

Chris Osgood

Caroline Ouellette

David Poile

Paul Henderson

The debate regarding Henderson's potential inclusion has gone on for decades. The pragmatists will argue his NHL stats aren't heady enough to get him in, and they have a point; he had 477 points (236 goals, 241 assists) in 707 games with the Detroit Red Wings, Toronto Maple Leafs and Atlanta Flames from 1963-80. But from a historical hockey standpoint, it's Henderson's heroics during the 1972 Summit Series between Canada and the Soviet Union that deserves consideration. Henderson scored the winning goal in each of the final three games, including the iconic series winner with 34 seconds remaining in Game 8, arguably the most famous goal in hockey history, to give Canada a dramatic 4-3-1 victory in the series. It's not called the "Hockey Body of Work Hall of Fame." Moments matter, and none were bigger than Henderson's goal in 1972 or, for that matter, Mike Eruzione's goal for the United States against the Soviets at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics. Both should be enshrined for scoring goals that changed the very nature of the game, not just the score. -- Mike Zeisberger, staff writer

Reggie Leach

The high-scoring right wing is hardly mentioned these days unless someone is on the verge of breaking one of his records. "The Riverton Rifle" was one of the most formidable and feared goal scorers of the 1970s as part of the Philadelphia Flyers' "LBC line" with Hockey Hall of Famers Bill Barber and Bobby Clarke. He had 666 points (381 goals, 285 assists) in 934 regular-season games, and 69 points (47 goals, 22 assists) in 94 playoff games. A member of Philadelphia's 1974-75 Stanley Cup championship team, the two-time All-Star (1976, 1980) scored 30 or more goals in a season six times, and 50 or more goals twice. He led the NHL in goals in 1975-76 (61) and won the Conn Smythe Trophy as most valuable player of the postseason in 1976 with 24 points (19 goals, five assists) in 16 games. He remains the only skater to win the award playing for the team that didn't win the Stanley Cup (the Montreal Canadiens swept Philadelphia 4-0). Leach and Jari Kurri of the Edmonton Oilers are the only players to score 19 goals in one postseason. Leach also holds the record for most goals in consecutive playoff games (10 in 1976). His five goals against the Boston Bruins in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Semifinals on May 6, 1976, tied him with Edouard "Newsy" Lalonde, Maurice Richard, Darryl Sittler and Mario Lemieux, all Hockey Hall of Famers. Leach received the Order of Canada, one of the nation's highest civilian honors, in October. -- William Douglas, staff writer

Pierre Turgeon

The forward had 1,327 points (515 goals, 812 assists) in 1,294 games with the Sabres, New York Islanders, Montreal Canadiens, St. Louis Blues, Dallas Stars and Colorado Avalanche. There are 14 NHL players who had 1,300 or more career points who are in the Hall. Turgeon is the only one who isn't. He also had 97 points (35 goals, 62 assists) in 109 playoff games. But back to his regular seasons: Turgeon was outstanding, but the nit that many want to pick with him is that he didn't win many awards. His only one was the Lady Byng Trophy, given to the player who has "exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct," in 1992-93 with the Islanders. I mean, the guy was one of the best, individual accolades pointing that out to the masses or not. Just seems that if that's the reason he still hasn't been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, it's a shame. -- Tracey Myers, staff writer

Alexander Mogilny

I scratch my head every year when the Hockey Hall of Fame induction class is announced and Mogilny isn't part of it. Eligible since 2009, Mogilny was one of the first Russian players to play in the NHL after defecting from the then-Soviet Union in 1989 and had 1,032 points (473 goals, 559 assists) in 990 regular-season games in 16 NHL seasons with the Buffalo Sabres, Vancouver Canucks, New Jersey Devils and Toronto Maple Leafs from 1989-2006. He tied for the NHL lead in goals with Teemu Selanne when he had 76 with Buffalo in 1992-93 and scored 55 goals with Vancouver in 1995-96 and 43 with New Jersey in 2000-01. Mogilny, who was voted to the NHL Second All-Star Team in 1992-93 and 1995-96, compares favorably to 2017 inductee Paul Kariya, who played one fewer game (989) and had 71 fewer goals (402) and 43 fewer points (989). Mogilny helped the Devils win the Stanley Cup in 2000 (Kariya never won the Cup) and, like Kariya, won an Olympic gold medal with the Soviet Union in 1988 (Kariya won with Canada in 2002). -- Tom Gulitti, staff writer

Patrik Elias

Fact: Elias is the greatest offensive player in New Jersey Devils history. Born in the Czech Republic, he was the first European-born captain (2006-07) in Devils history and the first forward to have his number retired by the Devils, a feat that shouldn't be ignored for an organization known for goaltending and defense. New Jersey was a great defensive team, but when it needed a big goal, Elias was either scoring or setting it up. He holds Devils records in goals (408), assists (617), points (1,025), power-play goals (113), power-play points (333), short-handed points (33), game-winning goals (80) and overtime goals (16) in 1,240 regular-season games. In 162 Stanley Cup Playoff games, he has the most goals (45), assists (80), points (125), power-play goals (21) and power-play points (52) in New Jersey history, winning the Stanley Cup in 2000 and 2003. Elias was able to compete, win the battles and make the big plays for which elite forwards already in the Hall of Fame have been recognized. -- Mike G. Morreale, staff writer

Chris Osgood

Osgood doesn't get the respect he deserves. He won 401 games, 13th in NHL history, and the Stanley Cup three times, twice as a starter. Had he won another championship as a starter, would you think of him differently? How about the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP? Well, in 2008-09, he might have been one win short of each. He led the Red Wings to Game 7 of the Cup Final, going 15-8 with a 2.01 goals-against average, a .926 save percentage and two shutouts. Had he won the Vezina Trophy as the NHL's top goalie, would you think of him differently? He was runner-up to Jim Carey in 1995-96, even though each had the same number of first-place votes (five) from the general managers and better stats than Carey in GAA (2.17 to 2.26) and save percentage (.911 to .906). -- Nicholas J. Cotsonika, columnist

Caroline Ouellette

For me, this one is easy: Caroline Ouellette. I could go on and on, but let's start with this. She, like Hayley Wickenheiser and Jayna Hefford, earned four consecutive gold medals at the Olympics, the only three women to ever do so. Wickenheiser and Hefford are in the Hall of Fame. So far, Ouellette is not, though I suspect that will be corrected in the coming years. She won a national championship at the University of Minnesota-Duluth, the Clarkson Cup four times with the Montreal Les Canadiennes, the World Championships six times -- she finished second six more times -- and is third all-time in international scoring among Canadian women with 242 points (87 goals, 155 assists) in 220 games, behind only Wickenheiser and Hefford. Ouellette is a true giant of hockey, not just the women's game, and she deserves induction. -- Amalie Benjamin, staff writer

David Poile

Poile has not won the Stanley Cup, and that's the only knock against him. It's not enough to keep him from joining his father, Bud Poile, in the Hockey Hall of Fame as a builder. David Poile has been at the helm as a general manager for 40 years, starting in 1982 with the Washington Capitals and holding that role for 15 seasons before he was hired to start the Nashville Predators from scratch. Builder? Poile is exactly that. He constructed the Predators from Day One and has been at it ever since. He didn't just build a team; he built a franchise and has been there every step of the way as Nashville has become one of the best hockey towns in the United States. Hall of Famer? Poile is the only person who has been a GM for at least 3,000 regular-season games; next is Glen Sather with 2,700. Poile is set to become the first GM to 1,500 wins. Next is Lou Lamoriello with 1,372. His teams have made the playoffs in 29 of his 38 seasons as a GM. That includes 14 straight in Washington. It took the Predators until their sixth season to get in. They've missed three times in the past 18. They went to the Stanley Cup Final in 2017. Poile wants that championship to complete his hockey life, but he shouldn't need it to get into the Hall of Fame with all he's done. -- Dan Rosen, senior writer

Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2023 could include Lundqvist

Goalie ranks sixth all-time in wins; Mogilny, Zetterberg among those to be considered

https://www.nhl.com/news/hockey-hall-of-fame-class-of-2023-candidates/c-337602292

cut.jpg

The Hockey Hall of Fame inducted the Class of 2022 in Toronto on Monday.

Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Daniel Alfredsson, Roberto Luongo, Riikka Sallinen and Herb Carnegie now have their plaques hanging in the Esso Great Hall, forever enshrined among hockey's all-time greats.

The Class of 2023 is next. It won't be voted on until June when the Hall of Fame's 18-member selection committee will meet. Candidates must receive at least 75 percent of the votes to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

A maximum of four male players, two female players, two builders or one builder and one referee or linesman may be inducted in a single year.

Here are many of the potential candidates for the Class of 2023 in alphabetical order, including three in their first year of eligibility in the player category:

FIRST-YEAR ELIGIBLE

Corey Crawford

Crawford, a goalie, was a two-time Stanley Cup champion with the Chicago Blackhawks (2013, 2015). He is third in Blackhawks history in wins (260) and regular-season games played (488), first in save percentage (.918) and second in goals-against average (2.45) among goalies who appeared in at least 100 games. He is also first in Blackhawks history in Stanley Cup Playoff wins (52), GAA (2.38), and save percentage (.918). Crawford twice won the William M. Jennings Trophy, awarded to the goalie(s) having played a minimum of 25 games for the team with the fewest goals scored against it (2013 with teammate Ray Emery, 2015 shared it with Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price).

Henrik Lundqvist

Lundqvist is arguably the closest to being a lock among the first-year eligible candidates in 2023. The former New York Rangers goalie is sixth in NHL history in wins (459), ninth in games played (887), and 17th in shutouts (64). His 459 wins are also the most by a Europe-born goalie in League history and among goalies who have appeared in at least 300 games, Lundqvist is eighth in save percentage (.918) and tied for 20th in goals-against average (2.43). He helped the Rangers get to the Eastern Conference Final three times (2012, 2014 and 2015), advancing to the Stanley Cup Final in 2014. He won the Vezina Trophy as the NHL's top goalie in 2011-12 and finished in the top six of voting in each of his first 10 seasons. Lundqvist had a 2.30 GAA and .921 save percentage in 130 career playoff games. The best comparable to Lundqvist is Luongo, who appeared in 157 more regular-season games and had 30 more wins and 13 more shutouts, but a higher GAA (2.52) and a similar save percentage (.919). Neither won the Stanley Cup, but both won an Olympic gold medal; Lundqvist won with Sweden at the 2006 Torino Olympics and got the silver at the 2014 Sochi Olympics. He also won a gold medal at the 2017 IIHF World Championship and silver medals in 2003 and 2004.

Justin Williams

Williams, known affectionately as "Mr. Game 7," was one of the most clutch players in the NHL in the past quarter-century. He did most of his damage in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, winning the Stanley Cup three times with the Carolina Hurricanes in 2006 and the Los Angeles Kings in 2012 and 2014. He was the Conn Smythe Trophy winner as the most valuable player in the playoffs in 2014, when he had 25 points (nine goals, 16 assists) in 26 games, including five points (two goals, three assists) in three Game 7 wins. The forward had 102 points (41 goals, 61 assists) in 162 playoff games, including eight game-winning goals. His teams went 8-1 in Game 7s, and he has the most points (15) and is tied for the most goals (seven) in NHL Game 7s. Williams finished his career with 797 points (320 goals, 477 assists) in 1,264 regular season games.

OTHER PREVIOUSLY ELIGIBLE CANDIDATES

Jennifer Botterill
Eligible since 2014

Botterill won gold with Canada at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics, 2006 Torino Olympics and 2010 Vancouver Olympics, after taking home silver at the 1998 Nagano Olympics. She also won gold at the IIHF Women's World Championship five times (1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2007) and was named MVP of the 2001 and 2004 tournaments. The forward had 174 points (65 goals, 109 assists) in 184 games over 14 years with Canada's National Women's Team, including 59 points (26 goals, 33 assists) in 40 games at the World Championships. Botterill had 340 points (157 goals, 183 assists) in 113 games at Harvard University and is the only two-time winner of the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award, awarded annually to the top player in NCAA Division I women's ice hockey (2001, 2003).

Rod Brind'Amour
Eligible since 2013

Brind'Amour won the Stanley Cup with the Carolina Hurricanes in 2006. Now the Hurricanes coach and Jack Adams Award winner as the League's coach of the year in 2020-21, he finished his NHL career with 1,184 points (452 goals, 732 assists) in 1,484 games. Considered one of the best defensive forwards of his generation, he won the Selke Trophy in 2006 and 2007. 

Karen Bye-Dietz
Eligible since 2005

Bye-Dietz was part of the United States women's team that won a gold medal at the 1998 Nagano Olympics and a silver medal at the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics. The forward also helped the United States win silver at six IIHF Women's World Championships (1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001). She is a member of the IIHF Hall of Fame (2011), the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame (2014), and the University of New Hampshire Hall of Fame (1998).

Meghan Duggan
Eligible since 2022

Duggan's crowning achievement on the ice came at the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics, where she was the captain of the United States gold-medal-winning women's team. She was also the captain at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and the 2014 Sochi Olympics when the U.S. won silver. Duggan won seven gold medals and earned a silver at the IIHF Women's World Championship, including as captain in 2015, 2016 and 2017. The forward played six seasons of professional hockey, including four with the Boston Blades (2011-15), winning the Clarkson Cup (Canadian Women's Hockey League championship) in 2013 and 2015. She also played one season with the Buffalo Beauts (2015-16) and her final pro season with the Boston Pride (2016-17). A standout at the University of Wisconsin, she helped the Badgers to three NCAA Division I national championships (2007, 2009, 2011) and had 238 points (108 goals, 130 assists) in 159 games.

Patrik Elias
Eligible since 2019

Elias holds the New Jersey Devils records for goals (408), assists (617), points (1,025), shots on goal (3,287), power-play goals (113), power-play points (333), short-handed points (33), game-winning goals (80) and overtime goals (16). The forward also has the most goals (45), assists (80), points (125), power-play goals (21), power-play points (52) and shots on goal (444) in Devils postseason history and won the Stanley Cup with New Jersey in 2000 and 2003. 

Sergei Gonchar
Eligible since 2018

Fellow Russia-born defenseman Sergei Zubov's induction in 2019 could pave the way for Gonchar, who finished his NHL career in 2015 with 811 points (220 goals, 591 assists) in 1,301 regular-season games, an average of 0.62 points per game. He is 16th among NHL defensemen in points, 10th in power-play points (427), and scored at least 50 points nine times. By comparison, Zubov is 20th among defensemen in points with 771 (152 goals, 619 assists) in 1,068 games, an average of 0.72 points per game. Gonchar won the Stanley Cup with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2009.

Curtis Joseph
Eligible since 2012

Joseph, with 454 NHL wins, has more wins than Hall of Fame goalies Terry Sawchuk (445), Jacques Plante (437), Tony Esposito (423), Glenn Hall (407), Grant Fuhr (403) and Dominik Hasek (389). They each won the Stanley Cup at least once; Joseph never won the Stanley Cup. He never won the Vezina Trophy but was a finalist three times (1993, 1999, 2000).

Reggie Leach
Eligible since 1987

Leach was part of the Philadelphia Flyers' "LCB line" with Hockey Hall of Famers Bobby Clarke and Bill Barber. He had 666 points (381 goals, 285 assists) in 934 regular-season games, and 69 points (47 goals, 22 assists) in 94 Stanley Cup Playoff games, winning the Stanley Cup with the Flyers in 1975. The forward scored 30 or more goals in a season six times and 50 or more goals twice, including an NHL-best 61 in 1975-76. Leach won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player in the playoffs in 1976 with 24 points (19 goals, five assists) in 16 games, and remains the only non-goalie to win the award playing for the team that lost in the Stanley Cup Final when the Montreal Canadiens swept Philadelphia.

Alexander Maltsev
Eligible since 1987

Like Boris Mikhailov (candidacy below), Maltsev won gold at the 1972 Sapporo Olympics and 1976 Innsbruck Olympics. The forward is a nine-time IIHF World Championship gold medal winner and was inducted into the IIHF Hall of Fame in 1999. He had 202 points (102 goals, 100 assists) in 151 games with the Soviet national senior team and played for Dynamo Moscow in the Soviet League from 1967-84, scoring 329 goals in 530 games.

Boris Mikhailov
Eligible since 1984

Aleksander Yakushev's induction in 2018 should pave the way for Mikhailov. The 78-year-old was the right wing on the Soviet national team's top line with Valeri Kharlamov and Vladimir Petrov. The captain from 1972-80, he won a gold medal at the 1972 Sapporo Olympics and 1976 Innsbruck Olympics and helped the Soviets win the IIHF World Championship eight times. Mikhailov was inducted into the IIHF Hall of Fame in 2000.

Alexander Mogilny
Eligible since 2009

With Paul Kariya inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2017, it stands to reason Mogilny should be there, too. A forward, Mogilny played 990 NHL games, one more than Kariya, and scored 71 more goals (473-402) and 43 more points (1,032-989). Mogilny won the Stanley Cup with the New Jersey Devils in 2000; Kariya never won the Cup. They each won a gold medal at the Olympics (Mogilny with the Soviet Union at the 1988 Calgary Olympics, Kariya with Canada at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics), the IIHF World Championship (Mogilny 1989, Kariya 1994), and the IIHF World Junior Championship (Mogilny 1989, Kariya 1993).

Chris Osgood
Eligible since 2014

Osgood is a three-time Stanley Cup champion with the Detroit Red Wings (1997, 1998, 2008), and was the starting goalie in 1998 and 2008. He also led the Red Wings to the Stanley Cup Final in 2009, losing in seven games to the Pittsburgh Penguins. He is 13th in League history in regular season wins (401) and ninth in playoff wins (74).

Caroline Ouellette
Eligible since 2022

Ouellette is one of three women who have won four Olympic gold medals, joining Canada's National Women's Team teammates Hayley Wickenheiser and Jayna Hefford, who are each in the Hockey Hall of Fame. She won gold at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics, 2006 Torino Olympics, 2010 Vancouver Olympics and 2014 Sochi Olympics, scoring 26 points (nine goals, 17 assists) in 20 games combined. Ouellette also won gold six times at the IIHF Women's World Championship and earned silver at the other six tournaments she played in from 1999-2015. The forward also won the Clarkson Cup with Montreal of the Canadian Women's Hockey League four times and an NCAA Division I title at the University of Minnesota-Duluth in 2003.

David Poile

The Nashville Predators general manager would go into the Hall of Fame in the builder's category and join his father, Bud Poile who was the first GM of the Philadelphia Flyers and Vancouver Canucks. David Poile has been at the helm as a general manager for 40 years, starting in 1982 with the Washington Capitals and holding that role for 15 seasons before he was hired to build the Predators from scratch. Poile is the only person who has been a GM for at least 3,000 regular-season games; next is Glen Sather with 2,700. Poile is set to become the first GM to 1,500 wins; next is Lou Lamoriello with 1,373. His teams have made the playoffs in 29 of his 38 seasons as a GM, including 14 straight in Washington. Nashville went to the Stanley Cup Final in 2017 and has made the playoffs in 15 of the past 18 seasons.

Jeremy Roenick
Eligible since 2012

Roenick has the second most points (1,216) and the fourth most goals (513) among eligible players not in the Hall of Fame. But Roenick never won the Stanley Cup or a major NHL award. He also never won a gold medal on the international level with the United States, but he got silver at the 1991 Canada Cup and the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics.

Keith Tkachuk
Eligible since 2013

Tkachuk has the most goals of any Hall of Fame-eligible player with 538, which ranks 33rd in NHL history. He also has 527 assists for 1,065 points in 1,201 games. The forward won a gold medal with the United States at the 1996 World Cup of Hockey but never won the Stanley Cup or a major NHL award.

Pierre Turgeon
Eligible since 2010

Turgeon has the most points of any eligible player not in the Hall of Fame with 1,327 (515 goals, 812 assists) in 1,294 games. He also has 97 points (35 goals, 62 assists) in 109 Stanley Cup Playoff games. Turgeon never won the Stanley Cup, and his only major individual award was the Lady Byng Trophy for skill/sportsmanship in 1992-93.

Henrik Zetterberg
Eligible since 2022

Zetterberg won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player in the Stanley Cup Playoffs in 2008, when he scored 27 points (13 goals, 14 assists) to lead the Detroit Red Wings to the Stanley Cup championship. He scored 24 points (11 goals, 13 assists) in the 2009 playoffs when the Red Wings fell one win short of going back-to-back. Zetterberg is fifth in Red Wings history in goals (337), assists (623) and points (960), with Hall of Famers Gordie Howe, Steve Yzerman, Alex Delvecchio and Nicklas Lidstrom ahead of him. He is also fifth in Red Wings history in playoff points (120) despite being 10th in games played (137). The forward, who was selected by Detroit in the seventh round (No. 210) of the 1999 NHL Draft, also won gold with Sweden at the 2006 Torino Olympics and the 2006 IIHF World Championship, making him a member of the IIHF's Triple Gold Club (Stanley Cup, Olympic gold, World Championship gold).

Hall of Fame class of 2023: Projecting next year’s inductees

Henrik Lundqvist is a first-ballot lock, but the competition for every other spot will be stiff.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/hall-of-fame-class-of-2023-projecting-next-years-inductees/

The 2022 Hockey Hall of Fame class was one of the most satisfying in recent memory because it appealed to so many different types of candidacy.

It gave us the first-ballotters in Daniel and Henrik Sedin and goaltender Roberto Luongo, a trio that took the Vancouver Canucks to within a game of the 2010-11 Stanley Cup.

It gave us the long-overlooked, at least in the minds of some passionate Ottawa Senators fans, in Daniel Alfredsson, inducted five years after he gained eligibility.

It shed spotlight on one of the most dominant women’s players ever in forward Riikka Sallinen, the first European woman ever inducted.

Perhaps most importantly, it righted a wrong in finally, posthumously inducting Herb Carnegie, a potential superstar-level talent who was barred from the NHL during his peak playing years because he was Black, predating Willie O’Ree’s NHL debut. Carnegie went in as a builder.

So what will the Class of 2023 bring? Now that the 2022 group is enshrined, it’s never too early to speculate on who gets the next round of Hall calls.

FIRST-BALLOT LOCK

Henrik Lundqvist
Open-and-shut case for Hank. He’s sixth all-time in wins, 10th in save percentage, first all-time in handsomeness, five-time Vezina Trophy finalist, Olympic gold medallist. He’s even 16th all-time in playoff save percentage at .921, just behind Jacques Plante. Lundqvist shared a generation with the likes of Carey Price, Marc-Andre Fleury and Roberto Luongo but, to me, ‘The King’ was the best and most consistently great of the group.

STRONG ODDS

Caroline Ouellette
“It would qualify as a mild surprise if Ouellette doesn’t get the nod on Monday” is what I wrote before the 2022 inductions were announced. I was surprised indeed when she wasn’t inducted, but she still is a lock to get into the Hall soon. She’s one of the most decorated players of all-time, owning four gold medals and four Clarkson Cup titles. She’s a CWHL MVP and a Clarkson Cup MVP.

Jennifer Botterill
Botterill, the first two-time winner of the NCAA’s Patty Kazmaier Award, is a three-time Olympic gold medallist and five-time world champion with Canada, not to mention a two-time MVP at the Worlds. She’s an institution of women’s hockey. It’s a matter of when, not if, for her induction.

Alexander Mogliny
The discourse around Mogilny has gotten loud enough that it might finally be his time come 2023. Not only was Mogilny the first defector from the Soviet Union but, among players with at least 900 career games, he has the second highest career points per game among Hall eligible players not yet inducted. On talent alone, he’s long overdue, a two-time second-team all-star who co-led the NHL in goals with 76 in the 1992-93 season. I don’t think the Russian invasion of Ukraine would damage his chances of induction in 2023 given he’s best known for escaping an oppressive Russian regime.

LEGIT CONTENDERS

Curtis Joseph
Adjusted Hockey’s Paul Pidutti has been the talk of the hockey-debating community thanks to his revolutionary player-card project that is helping lay out players’ Hall of Fame resumes in concise, legible ways. And, wow, does CuJo’s card ever pop. He’s the No. 17 goalie of all-time according to Pidutti’s metrics. Even before those new revelations, he was seventh all-time in wins. My wins philosophy is: “Wins are overrated, unless you have a TON of them, as that means you were really good for a really long time.”

Henrik Zetterberg
When a Hall of Very Good type like Alfredsson gets in, it turns great-but-not-elite players like Zetterberg into virtual locks. The 960 points are impressive enough, but he also was a tremendous two-way forward who took his game to a different level in the postseason. Sometimes it feels like The Conn Smythe Shift in 2008, his Stanley Cup winning campaign with the Detroit Red Wings, cemented his future induction. One possible factor holding him back a year: his better hockey half, Pavel Datsyuk, is eligible for 2024 induction and will be a first-ballot lock. Might the Hall want Datsyuk and Zetterberg going in as a duo?

Rod Brind’Amour
When three-time Selke Trophy winner Guy Garbonneau earned a Hall of Fame induction as part of the 2019 class, it created some momentum for Brind’Amour. He won two Selke Trophies and earned a Stanley Cup ring in 2005-06 but was a much greater offensive threat than Carbonneau. Brind’Amour has 1,184 points. Only three other players who were eligible before this year and not in the Hall have more.

Shannon Szabados
She last played organized league games in 2018-19. Where is the buzz for Szabados. Hello? Two-time Olympic gold-medallist? Two-time best goaltender at the Olympics? NWHL best goaltender? First woman to get a win and a shutout in the SPHL, where she competed against men for 47 games over three seasons? She’s one of the all-time greats. Easy Hall call in my books.

Sergei Gonchar
Playing many of his best seasons during Dead Puck, Gonchar quietly accumulated great offensive numbers. He’s 19th in goals, 17th in assists and 19th in points among defensemen in NHL history. He never won a Norris Trophy, but his stat line is otherwise remarkably similar to Doug Wilson’s. His induction probably helped Gonchar’s case.

Meghan Duggan
Duggan is one of the sport’s all-time great leaders, regularly wearing the ‘C’ for some dominant U.S. national teams, including the one that captured Olympic gold in 2018. She’s a CWHL and NWHL champion. She’s also a trailblazer. She was a vital voice in helping the U.S. women’s team negotiate fair compensation from USA Hockey in 2017.

Patrik Elias
For me, Elias is more Hall of Very Good, but other players with similar resumes have been inducted, so he has a shot. He’s a two-time Stanley Cup winner with 400-plus goals, 1,000-plus points and one first-team all-star selection.

LET ME MAKE A CASE FOR…

Tom Barrasso
Which goaltenders have (a) at least one Vezina Trophy, (b) multiple Stanley Cup rings and (c) more than 350 wins? The list: Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Marc-Andre Fleury, Terry Sawchuk, Jacques Plante, Grant Fuhr, Dominik Hasek…and Tom Barrasso. Let that sink in for a minute. This is the company Barrasso kept in his career. So why doesn’t he get the Hall love? Easy: his personality. He was among the prickliest, most anti-media players of his generation. But that has nothing to do with his ability to stop pucks. In my mind, Barrasso should have been inducted years ago.

Tim Thomas
I can’t take credit here, actually. It was my colleague Steven Ellis who made the case for Thomas having one of the best career peaks of any goalie in recent memory, and Pidutti’s player card supports the case pretty well. Check out Ellis’ argument here.

FIRST-TIMERS OF NOTE

Justin Williams
How much does the Hall of Fame value clutch play? Should Mr. Game 7, the 2014 Conn Smythe Trophy winner, get a look?

Corey Crawford
The two-time Stanley Cup champ was overshadowed by some other superstar netminders in his career but was quietly pretty great. Won 260 games, .918 career save percentage…but, still, there’s just no way you can induct Crawford before Joseph, Thomas or Barrasso.

WORTH ANOTHER LOOK

Keith Tkachuk: The 500 goal, 2,000 PIM club: Pat Verbeek, Brendan Shanahan and Tkachuk.

Jeremy Roenick: More than 1,200 points, one of 24 players with multiple 50-goal/100-point seasons.

Kim Martin Hasson: Great international career. She helped Sweden pull a legendary upset over USA in the 2006 Olympics, where she was named best goaltender.

Theoren Fleury: Better than a point per game despite playing back half of career in Dead Puck.

Meghan Agosta: She fits my definition of a Hall of Famer in that she was the best in the world, or right there, for several seasons. Three Olympic gold medals, 2010 tourney MVP, and she torched the CWHL for multiple scoring titles.

Boris Mikhailov: One of the more rugged forwards on the powerhouse Soviet squads during a career spanning from the early 1960s to the early 1980s. A great goal-scorer, too.

Jere Lehtinen: Three-time Selke Trophy winner as a winger. Very impressive.

Julie Chu: A staple for Team USA who won a ton in the CWHL, Chu was a forward on the national team but played some defense in the CWHL. Her spouse Caroline Ouellette has better Hall odds, but how cool would it be if they got inducted together?

Florence Schelling: The Swiss puck-stopper was the 2014 Olympic MVP in the women’s tourney and also blazed a trail after retiring when she became GM of Bern in the Swiss League in 2020.

Karyn Bye-Dietz: Cammi Granato got the headlines on the late-1990s U.S. squads but Bye-Dietz was a major offensive contributor, too.

Predicted 2023 Hall of Fame player inductees

Henrik Lundqvist
Caroline Ouellette
Alexander Mogilny
Curtis Joseph

Predicting the Hockey Hall of Fame class of 2023
https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35019879/predicting-hockey-hall-fame-class-2023

The Hockey Hall of Fame welcomes its newest class on Monday night in Toronto with a fascinating group: Vancouver Canucks legends Daniel and Henrik Sedin, their former teammate Roberto Luongo, former Ottawa Senators great Daniel Alfredsson, Finnish women's hockey icon Riikka Sallinen and the late Herb Carnegie, a pioneering Black player.

Who will join them in the class of 2023?

There is one lock in next year's group of first-year-eligible players. But beyond that, there might be an opportunity to open the doors for some men and women who have been waiting far too long for their hockey immortality.

Here's our ranking of candidates for next year's Hockey Hall of Fame class.

1. Henrik Lundqvist, goalie (first year of eligibility)

Hail to the King. Lundqvist is a lock. Whether it's in 2023 or if he has to wait for some arbitrary reason, he's getting in. The former New York Rangers goalie -- who signed with, but did not play for, the Washington Capitals before retirement -- won the Vezina Trophy in 2011-12 and was a finalist for the award five times. He's sixth in career wins (459), and every retired player in front of him on that list is in the Hall of Fame. That includes Roberto Luongo, who did not win the Vezina during his career.

The Stanley Cup eluded him, as Lundqvist's Rangers made the Final only once with him in the crease. But he has plenty of other championship hardware, backstopping Sweden to Olympic gold in 2006 and silver in 2014, while also winning IIHF world championship gold and World Cup of Hockey bronze. Expect an impeccably dressed Lundqvist to be giving his induction speech next year.

2. Caroline Ouellette, forward (second year)

We considered Ouellette a lock for the class of 2022 in her first year of eligibility. That she didn't make the cut speaks more to the selection committee's inexplicable obsession with having only one woman inductee each year -- the last time it allowed the maximum of two was in 2010 with Cammi Granato and Angela James -- than her worthiness as a candidate.

The forward is one of only five athletes to win a gold medal in four consecutive Winter Olympics, helping the Canadian women to the top of the podium in 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014, along with Olympic silver in 1998. She won six gold medals in the IIHF women's world championships. Ouellette had a 2.36 points-per-game average in 97 games with University of Minnesota-Duluth. She also won the 2009 Clarkson Cup with the Montreal Stars, becoming only one of three players to win the Clarkson Cup, Olympic gold and worlds gold. The other two are Hayley Wickenheiser and Jayna Hefford, and she should join them in the Hall next year.

3. Alexander Mogilny, right wing (14th year)

For many, Mogilny's continued absence from the Hockey Hall of Fame has moved beyond the point of agitation to one of outright resentment. No disrespect intended for Henrik and Daniel Sedin, but the Hall of Fame rubber-stamped two first-year-eligible candidates who don't rank in the top 150 retired players in points-per-game average, while Mogilny, the 34th-best scorer in that category (1.042), lingers into his 14th year of eligibility.

He's 55th all time in goals scored (473) and 56th in adjusted goals (480). Among inactive players, he's 34th in goals-per-game average (0.478). All of that was achieved while he played the majority of his games in the defensive trap era. He's a Triple Gold Club member, having won the Stanley Cup in 2000 with the New Jersey Devils. As much as the Sedin twins' magic is a unique part of hockey history, so is Mogilny's place as the first Soviet defection to the NHL. It's an absolute joke he remains on this list year after year.

It's mind-boggling that Alexander Mogilny is not in the Hockey Hall of Fame. 

4. Sergei Gonchar, defenseman (sixth year)

Gonchar is 17th in career points among defensemen with 811 in 1,301 NHL games. Everyone ahead of him save for Gary Suter is in the Hall of Fame. That includes Nicklas Lidstrom, with whom Gonchar has the misfortune of sharing an era. The Detroit Red Wings Hall of Famer -- considered one of the best defensemen in hockey history -- is the only blueliner who amassed more goals (236) and points (985) than Gonchar did (220 goals, 811 points) from 1994-95 to 2014-15, which was the span of the Russian defenseman's career.

Gonchar won the Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh in 2009 and finished in the top five in voting for the Norris Trophy four times. He won Olympic silver in Nagano, bronze in Salt Lake City and IIHF worlds silver in 2010. He's got a case.

5. Meghan Duggan, forward (second year)

We had Jennifer Botterill ahead of Duggan last year, but we're flip-flopping them for the class of 2023 projection. On the chance the Hall inducts two women in the same class, we don't believe they'll both come from Team Canada.

Duggan won seven IIHF world championship gold medals and captained the U.S. women's Olympic hockey team to gold in the 2018 Pyeongchang Games. She won the 2011 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award as the top women's player in the NCAA while playing for Wisconsin. Off the ice, she played in integral role in the national team's fight with USA Hockey over inequitable support and conditions in comparison to the men's team. Her profile is high after becoming director of player development for the New Jersey Devils this year.

6. Rod Brind'Amour, center (10th year)

Guy Carbonneau walked into the Hall of Fame in 2019 and left the door open for Brind'Amour. Carbonneau was the more decorated defensive center, winning the Selke Trophy three times and finishing as a finalist six times, while Brind'Amour won twice in his only two years as a finalist.

But the two aren't even in the same conversation when it comes to being complete players: Brind'Amour finished with 1,184 points in 1,484 games, while Carbonneau had 663 points in 1,318 games. He captained the Carolina Hurricanes to the Stanley Cup in 2006 and won IIHF worlds gold in 1994. His prowess as a coach has brought more attention to his career as a player. Like Mogilny, there's been a vocal group of fans and pundits backing Brind'Amour's Hall of Fame candidacy. Perhaps 2023 is the year.

Rod Brind'Amour's case is bolstered by a Stanley Cup run with the Hurricanes. 

7. Jennifer Botterill, forward (ninth year)

Botterill helped Team Canada win Olympic gold in 2002, 2006 and 2010 and five IIHF world championships, capturing MVP in that tournament twice. But it was her dominance in the NCAA that sets her apart. Playing with Harvard, she amassed 319 points in 113 games, scoring at least a point in all but one of her college games. She was the first player to win the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award twice as the top player in U.S. women's college hockey. Botterill also had 155 points in 78 Canadian Women's Hockey League games.

She's a player who could be in already and whose profile has only grown because of her work in the Canadian media.

8. Henrik Zetterberg, center (second year)

Zetterberg finished his career with 960 points in 1,082 games, including 337 goals. His greatest individual accomplishment was winning the Conn Smythe in the Red Wings' 2008 Stanley Cup win. That ring earned him Triple Gold Club status, along with championships in the 2006 Olympics and the 2006 world championships with Sweden.

The problem for Zetterberg is his competition. Brind'Amour was a similar player and unlike Zetterberg won the Selke (twice). Then there's Pavel Datsyuk, Zetterberg's Red Wings teammate, who also has a strong case for the Hall.

9. Curtis Joseph, goalie (11th year)

CuJo's Hall of Fame argument was always one of stats vs. impact. He's seventh in career wins (454), just five in back of Lundqvist. He's seventh in career games played (943). But he never won a Vezina Trophy, though he was a finalist three times. He also never won the Stanley Cup, but neither did Luongo nor Lundqvist. He won World Cup of Hockey silver in 1996 and played one game in Canada's run to the 2002 Olympic gold medal.

There's been an interesting development in the "stats vs. impact" argument, however: Hockey historian Paul Pidutti has created a statistical measure of a Hall of Fame candidate's worthiness. According to Pidutti, Joseph is the 17th-greatest goalie in NHL history and sixth best of his era. Keep in mind, however, that the Hockey Hall of Fame hasn't inducted two goalies in the same class since Harry Lumley and Gump Worsley in 1980.

10. Keith Tkachuk, forward (ninth year)

Tkachuk amassed 538 goals and 1,065 points in 1,201 games over his 18-season career. He led the league in goals only once (1996-97) but was otherwise a model of consistency. He's 33rd all time in goals scored. Every player ahead of him who is Hall of Fame-eligible is enshrined. He won World Cup gold in 1996 and Olympic silver in 2002 but never the Stanley Cup.

It's a solid but unspectacular career, but those numbers are hard to ignore.

Other first-year-eligible former NHLers

One interesting Hall of Fame case for a player in his first year of eligibility: Corey Crawford, who helped the Chicago Blackhawks to Stanley Cup wins in 2013 and 2015. From 2010 to '17, only Lundqvist and Marc-Andre Fleury had more wins than Crawford (213), who also had a .918 save percentage in that stretch. Although he shared the Jennings Trophy for fewest goals allowed for a team twice, he was never a Vezina Trophy finalist. There are a number of more accomplished goalies ahead of him -- he doesn't crack the top 50 in career wins -- but he was an important part of one of that decade's best teams.

Defenseman Jay Bouwmeester has a strong international case -- five gold medals, including 2014 Olympic gold -- and a steady, 17-year NHL career that included an iron man streak of 737 games. Fellow blueliners Andrei Markov, Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook and Mike Green are also in their first years of eligibility. So is forward Justin Williams, whose "Mr. Game 7" reputation was earned while he won three Stanley Cups with the Carolina Hurricanes and Los Angeles Kings.

Big-name holdovers

After Keith Tkachuk, the players with the greatest number of goals who aren't in the Hall of Fame are Pat Verbeek (522), Pierre Turgeon (515), Jeremy Roenick (513) and Peter Bondra (503). There's been vocal support for Theo Fleury, who had 1,088 points in 1,084 games. Like Roenick, he fills the "Fame" requirement; also like Roenick, he never won a major individual award. Former New Jersey Devils forward Patrik Elias, scoring winger Steve Larmer and former Columbus Blue Jackets and New York Rangers star Rick Nash also have their backers.

Among the goalies, two-time Vezina winner Tim Thomas, Vezina winner and five-time finalist Tom Barrasso, 1997 Conn Smythe winner Mike Vernon and three-time Stanley Cup winner Chris Osgood are all still in the mix.

For women's players, USA hockey star Julie Chu, Team Canada forward Meghan Agosta and goalie Shannon Szabados should be considered. Internationally, keep an eye on Swiss goalie Florence Schelling and Swedish goalie Kim Martin.

In the Builders category, innovative goalie coach Francois Allaire, former Michigan coach Red Berenson and Nashville Predators general manager David Poile could all get the call. Then there's Canadian hockey icon Paul Henderson, still trying to prove that one goal in 1972 could garner a place in the Hall of Fame outside of the memorabilia displays.

2023 Hockey Hall of Fame predictions: 6 players who should get the call

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-lundqvist-mogilny-headline-prediction-for-2023-hockey-hall-of-fame-inductees-194019089.html

This past weekend was a celebration of hockey history writ large as the 2022 Hockey Hall of Fame inductees were honoured for their contributions to the sport.

Daniel and Henrik Sedin headlined a class that also included Daniel Alfredsson, Roberto Luongo, Riikka Sallinen and the late Herb Carnegie. It’s a stellar class that stands out among the Hall’s illustrious history.

By its very nature, the Hall is an exclusive place and we’re going to look ahead to identify who may get inducted next year. The Hall still has an archaic rule in place, allowing a maximum of four men’s players and two women’s players per year. This is a prediction of next year’s class, and there were some tough cuts.

Alexander Mogilny

Mogilny’s omission from the Hall makes no sense. He scored prolifically in bunches at every level he played at, he’s a member of the Triple Gold Club (a Stanley Cup, IIHF World Championship and Olympic gold medal) and ranks 81st all-time with 1,032 points. For a history museum, it’s an affront to a pivotal era of hockey to ignore Mogilny, who became the first NHL draftee to defect from the former Soviet Union to play in North America. Without him, we simply may not have the influx of Russian players who have made their immeasurable impact on the league. Mogilny made the All-Star team six times and tied for the league lead with 76 goals during the 1992-93 season. It’s time for the Hall to correct their greatest oversight.

Henrik Lundqvist

Lundqvist headlines all first-year eligible players next year and he’s almost certainly a lock for 2023. An all-time legend for the New York Rangers, Lundqvist ranks sixth in career wins (459) and became the first goalie to post 11 30-win seasons during his first 12 years in the league. He was the best goaltender during the 2006 Olympics, leading Sweden to a gold medal, to go along with his gold medal from the 2002 IIHF World Championships. Affectionately nicknamed King Henrik, it makes too much sense to induct the goaltender with the most wins by any European.

Rod Brind’Amour

Putting aside the fact that Brind’Amour looks like he could still log 20 minutes per night, he’s a popular candidate to join the Hall in 2023 as one of the premier two-way players of his generation. A two-time Selke Trophy winner, Brind’Amour captained the Carolina Hurricanes to their lone Stanley Cup victory in 2006 and he was a nightmare to play against. But don’t let Brind’Amour’s attention to the defensive end fool you; he posted 452 goals and 1,184 points in 1,484 games. Start sculpting the Rod the Bod statue now.

Caroline Ouellette

It’s somewhat astonishing Ouellette wasn’t inducted into the 2022 class and the Hall’s current rules of capping selection to just two women’s players per year is a sexist and outdated rule. Ouellette should be a lock for 2023, winning four Olympic gold medals for Canada, along with six gold and six silver medals at the IIHF Worlds. Ouellette could simply shoot the lights out and was appointed as a member of the Order in Canada in 2009. One of the best scorers in the history of women’s hockey, Ouellette ought to be a lock.

Curtis Joseph

Joseph played in a golden era of goalies and ranks seventh all-time with 454 career wins. He endeared himself to a locked-in and perpetually moody Maple Leafs fan base, and was named a runner-up for the Vezina Trophy three times during his career. Although he never won a Stanley Cup, Joseph is undeniably one of the best goalies of his generation, he has an Olympic gold medal on his resume, he’s a three-time All-Star and was simply better than a lot of goalies that have already been enshrined in the Hall.

Jennifer Botterill

Botterill won three Olympic gold medals with Canada and was named the MVP of the IIHF Women’s World Championships in 2001 and 2004. She became the first player to win the Patty Kazmaier Award twice, awarded annually to the NCAA’s best women’s player. Botterill is one of the most prolific scorers in women’s hockey history, she showed up in the big times, including an incredible performance in the 2010 Olympic gold medal game, and is now paving the way in the media as one of Sportsnet’s lead hockey analysts.

Just missed the cut: Henrik Zetteberg, Sergei Gonchar, Julie Chu, Shannon Szabados, Keith Tkachuk, Jay Bouwmeester, Rick Nash

An early look at top candidates for 2023 Hockey Hall of Fame class

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/an-early-look-at-top-candidates-for-2023-hockey-hall-of-fame-class/

The 2022 Hockey Hall of Fame induction celebrations begin Friday and last throughout the weekend before culminating in an anticipated induction ceremony Monday.

This year’s class consists of former NHLers Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Roberto Luongo, Daniel Alfredsson, Finnish women’s star Riika Salinen, plus Herb Carnegie in the builder’s category.

The HHOF player category can feature a maximum of four men and two women each year, so with the 2022 class about to be enshrined we thought it fitting to look ahead to 2023 and highlight some notable players eligible to be inducted next year.

THE LONE FIRST-BALLOT LOCK?

Henrik Lundqvist is the closest thing we have to a lock in 2023. “King Henrik” earned a reputation as one of the best and most consistent goaltenders of the NHL’s salary cap era. He won the Vezina Trophy in 2012, finished top-six in Vezina voting in each of his first 10 seasons in the league, and is the only goalie in NHL history to win at least 30 games in each of his first seven seasons. In fact, the only time within his first 12 seasons that Lundqvist didn’t reach 30 wins was the shortened 2012-13 campaign during which he led the league with 24 wins in 43 appearances.

Although his teams never won a Stanley Cup, Lundqvist advanced to three Eastern Conference Finals and did his part in the post-season, posting a career .921 playoff save percentage, 2.30 GAA and 10 shutouts in 130 appearances. Internationally, the 40-year-old Are, Sweden native backstopped his country to Olympic gold in 2006 during his NHL rookie campaign. That gold-winning roster featured Hall of Famers Nicklas Lidstrom, Mats Sundin, Peter Forsberg, plus 2022 inductees the Sedins and Alfredsson. That gold medal is in addition to the silver he added at Sochi 2014 and a world championship gold in 2017.

A heart condition ultimately ended his playing career in 2020. He finished his NHL career with a 459-310-96 record, .918 save percentage, 2.43 goals-against average and 64 shutouts, ranking sixth all-time in regular-season wins, eighth in total saves, ninth in games played and top 20 in shutouts.

OTHER NOTABLE FIRST-YEAR ELIGIBLE PLAYERS

Former Chicago Blackhawks netminder Corey Crawford is a two-time Stanley Cup (2013, 2015) and William M. Jennings Trophy winner. Crawford’s prime years were from 2010 to 2017, during which he registered a .918 save percentage and 2.37 GAA while only Lundqvist and Marc-Andre Fleury posted more regular-season victories during this stretch. Perhaps more importantly is the fact Crawford led all goalies in playoff wins in that eight-year span and both his save percentage and goals-against improved when the games mattered more.

Jay Bouwmeester is one of only 11 Canadians in the Triple Gold Club. He won back-to-back world championships in 2003 and 2004, was a member of Canada’s 2014 Olympic gold-winning roster and won his first and only Stanley Cup with the Blues in 2019. Bouwmeester was also, for a time, the NHL’s active iron man, suiting up for 737 consecutive regular-season games between 2004 and 2014. That 737-game streak is the ninth-longest in NHL history. The smooth-skating Bouwmeester also added World Cup gold medals in 2004 and 2016. His playing career ended following a scary cardiac episode on the St. Louis bench in February of 2020.

Justin Williams doesn’t have the regular-season numbers to gain HHOF consideration, however he’s on this list because he was among the most clutch playoff performers of the 21st century – particularly when a series was on the line. He won his first Stanley Cup with Carolina in 2006 then two with the Kings in 2012 and 2014. Williams earned the moniker “Mr. Game 7” because his teams went 8-1 in Game 7s throughout his career. He scored seven goals in Game 7s and has an NHL record 15 points in Game 7s. He was awarded the 2014 Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP.

A career member of the Canadiens, Andrei Markov spent 16 seasons in Montreal and during his time in the league only four blueliners accumulated more points than the skilled Russian blueliner. He won a gold medal with Russia at the 2008 world championships.

Other first-year eligible defencemen that enjoyed excellent NHL careers: Dustin Byfuglienwas a physical force that had success both as a forward and defenceman who finished top-15 in Norris votes in six separate seasons. He won a Stanley Cup with Chicago in 2010 but played his best hockey with the Thrashers and Jets. Brent Seabrook was a three-time Cup winner with the Blackhawks and formed one of the top defensive pairings of the era alongside Duncan Keith who’s likely to one day get inducted into the HHOF. Mike Green, meanwhile, was an elite scorer from the back end early in his career, finishing as Norris runner-up in 2008 and 2009.

IS 2023 FINALLY THEIR YEAR?

Former Detroit Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg was also on that 2006 Olympic team with Lundqvist so it would be fitting to see these compatriots inducted together – like how the Sedins and Alfredsson entered the Hall together in 2022. Zetterberg didn’t get voted in during his first year of eligibility although he certainly has a Hall of Fame worthy trophy case. The talented two-way forward is one of only 30 members of hockey’s Triple Gold Club, winning a world championship gold the same year Sweden won the Olympic tournament. He won his first and only Stanley Cup in 2008 and was awarded the Conn Smythe after leading the playoffs with 13 goals and 27 points in 22 games, scoring the eventual game winner in the clinching game, en route to beating the Penguins in the Final. Zetterberg’s 960 NHL points ranks seventh all-time among Swedish players, plus he received Selke and/or Lady Byng votes in all but one season during his career.

Could this finally be the year Alexander Mogilny gets the call? The influential and supremely skilled Russian forward has been eligible since 2009 yet continuously gets snubbed. He’s in the 1,000 point club and fourth all-time in points among Russian players. His 473 goals ties him with Denis Savard for 55th in NHL history but the fact he did it in just 990 games means he’s ranked top 20 all-time in goals per game among those with at least 400. He won a Stanley Cup with the Devils in 2000 and a Lady Byng Trophy with the Maple Leafs in 2003. Mogilny, who wore No. 89 throughout his career after being selected 89th overall in the 1988 NHL Draft, was the first player to defect from the former Soviet Union when he joined the Sabres in 1989 which opened the door for his contemporaries like Sergei Fedorov and Pavel Bure to do the same.

Women’s hockey legends Caroline Ouellette and Meghan Duggan were eligible for the first time in 2022 but missed the cut.

Ouellette won a whopping four Olympic and six world championship gold medals with Team Canada during her two-decade playing career. Hayley Wickenheiser and Jayna Hefford are the only other players to win at least four gold medals at the Olympics. Ouellette added eight Four Nations Cup titles and four Clarkson Cup championships and produced at better than a point-per-game pace in both the world championships and Olympic tournaments.

Duggan won seven world championship gold medals and the 2011 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award as the top women’s player in the NCAA. Currently a member of the New Jersey Devils front office, the Danvers, Mass., is a three-time Olympic medallist and her international career was capped off by her captaining the United States to an Olympic gold medal in 2018.

Guy Carbonneau, a three-time Selke and three-time Cup winner, was inducted in 2019 nearly 20 years after he retired. Could Rod Brind’Amour follow a similar path to the Hall? Brind’Amour split the first half of his career between the Blues and Flyers before eventually taking his game to new levels with the Hurricanes in the back nine of his playing days. He captained Carolina to the franchise’s first Cup win in 2006 and won back-to-back Selke Trophies at age 35 and 36, retiring after the 2009-10 campaign. His 1,484 games played is 25th-most in NHL history and both his 452 goals and 1,184 points rank top 60 all-time.

Others still not in HHOF who could receive 2023 consideration: Theo Fleury, Patrick Elias, Pierre Turgeon, Jeremy Roenick, Keith Tkachuk, Mike Vernon, Tom Barrasso, Mike Richter, Rick Nash, John LeClair, Sergei Gonchar

Who will get the call to Hockey Hall of Fame in 2023?

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2432797/amp

With this year's Hockey Hall of Fame festivities wrapped up, it's time to take a peek at who might be getting the call in 2023.

This year's class signified a potential changing of the guard in induction procedures, as no players enshrined in 2022 won a Stanley Cup. Maybe that lowers the bar going forward, or maybe this year is just an anomaly. Either way, it strengthens the cases for a long list of players who have been on the bubble for a while now. 

Predicting a full class in any year is difficult, but next year's collection is especially difficult considering the lack of first-year star power. The list of recently retired players eligible for induction in 2023 is underwhelming at best, but we'll dive into that later.

It's worth noting a maximum of four male players and two female players can be inducted in a single year. 

Now let's get to the list.

Lock it in

Henrik Lundqvist

The King is the only first-year eligible player we see making the Hall next year. Lundqvist retired fifth all-time in wins (Marc-Andre Fleury has since usurped him on the list) and was unquestionably one of the most dominant netminders the league has ever seen. He sits fourth in save percentage among all goalies to play at least 500 regular-season games, and he provided the Rangers 57.2 wins above replacement from 2007-08 (the season Evolving-Hockey's data dates back to) up until his final season on Broadway - nearly 20 more wins than his closest competitor over that span.

Lundqvist won gold and silver medals at the Olympics for Sweden as well as gold and bronze at the world championship. He won the Vezina Trophy in 2011-12 and was a finalist on four other occasions. He never won the Stanley Cup, but Lundqvist was notoriously clutch in the playoffs throughout his career. He registered a 1.74 goals against average in 15 elimination games from 2012-15 and won an NHL-record six consecutive Game 7s over that span.

The Hall of Fame might as well have started making Lundqvist's plaque the day he announced his retirement.

Time to make it right

Alexander Mogilny

Mogilny sits alone in this category because, quite frankly, his omission from the Hall is ridiculous. Every year he's snubbed, hockey fans aware of his credibility get more irritated, and there's only one way to fix it: Induct him.

He's entering his 14th year of eligibility, and several inferior forwards have been inducted while he awaits enshrinement. Mogilny meets the point-per-game threshold, is a Triple Gold Club member (Stanley Cup, world championship gold, and Olympic gold), and is one of the most influential figures in the sport's history as the first player to defect from the former Soviet Union to play in the NHL.

With a relatively weak class coming up, it would be the perfect opportunity to give Mogilny the spotlight he deserves. If he's passed over again, it's time the Hall, at the very least, explains why they've continuously snubbed one of the all-time greats.

Could be their year

Rod Brind'Amour

Brind'Amour has now been eligible for a decade and is subject to one of the more divisive resumes among fringe Hall of Famers. He captained the Hurricanes to a Stanley Cup in 2006, won two Selke's, and has two international gold medals for Canada. He falls well below a point per game, but nearly 1,500 contests in the NHL is nothing to scoff at. Brind'Amour's also nabbed a Jack Adams as Hurricanes coach to pad his credentials, so maybe a Cup ring from behind the bench will push him over the hump.

Pierre Turgeon

Turgeon has been eligible for 13 years but hasn't wooed the induction committee enough to this point. He has more points than any eligible player not already in the Hall of Fame but never won anything other than a Lady Byng in 1992-93. Despite suiting up for six teams in a 19-year career, Turgeon was never able to capture a Stanley Cup and didn't represent Canada internationally at the senior level. His numbers are Hall-worthy, but if he hasn't gotten in yet, it's hard to believe he ever will.

Caroline Ouellette

Ouellette was a surprise omission from the 2022 class, missing out in her first year of eligibility despite an impeccable resume. The Canadian icon won four Olympic gold medals, six world championships, four Clarkson Cups, and an NCAA national title. She's also the CWHL's all-time leading scorer. We don't expect Ouellette to be waiting much longer.

Sergei Gonchar

Gonchar sits 16th all-time in points by a defenseman, and all those ahead of him - aside from Gary Suter - have been inducted into the Hall of Fame. Even rearguards below Gonchar in the scoring ranks have been enshrined, including Sergei Zubov, Borje Salming, Rob Blake, Scott Niedermeyer, and Chris Pronger. Of course, Gonchar doesn't have the same individual accolades as that group of legends, but he's a Cup winner, a two-time All-Star, and a five-time medal winner for Russia across various tournaments. It shouldn't come as a surprise if he gets in.

Jennifer Botterill

Botterill is entering her ninth year of eligibility, which is quite a surprise considering her resume. She, like many in Canada's golden era of women's hockey, has a stack of Olympic and world championship gold medals, but Botterill stands above many of her peers thanks to an incredible 340 points in 113 games across four seasons at Harvard - good for first all-time in the NCAA.

Henrik Zetterberg

Zetterberg is eligible for the second year after an impressive career as one of the best two-way centers of his generation. Despite his accomplishments, his case will probably be debated for years to come. The unflappable Swede is a Triple Gold Club member with a Conn Smythe to boot, but he isn't a point-per-game player and was never a finalist for a major regular-season award besides a Calder Trophy runner-up in 2002-03. It also may be controversial in the eyes of some fans to induct Zetterberg before former Red Wings teammate Pavel Datsyuk, who's not eligible yet but boasts a more impressive career. Perhaps the solution is to induct them both.

Curtis Joseph

Cujo is approaching his 11th year of eligibility but will probably have to wait longer, with Lundqvist likely to headline the 2023 class. It's rare for the Hall to choose two goalies in one year, and the optics of inducting a lock and a perennially fringe candidate alongside each other would be strange. That said, if Lundqvist gets in without Joseph, the latter will be the only goaltender ranked top 10 in wins absent from the Hall. Joseph ranks seventh in that category, but having no Stanley Cups or Vezinas hurts his case. If you look closely, though, Cujo was a finalist for top goalie three times and was snubbed in 1993 despite leading the league in saves, save percentage, and goals saved above average. Joseph may have to wait at least another year, but one wonders how long he can be denied.

Other First-year eligibles

Jay Bouwmeester

Bouwmeester was a quality top-pairing defenseman for much of his 17-year career and has Triple Gold Club status, but his numbers are simply too low to warrant serious consideration. He had a terrific career, but the Hall of Fame is out of his reach.

Brent Seabrook

Seabrook's situation is similar to Bouwmeester's: Lots to be proud about but not worthy of hockey's highest honor. Seabrook is mainly remembered for his albatross contract, but he was a star blue-liner at his peak, playing a vital role in three Stanley Cups for Chicago as well as an Olympic gold for Canada in 2010. He may have his number retired at the United Center one day, but don't expect any considerable Hall of Fame noise.

Justin Williams

Williams' resume tops the other first-year players in this category, but he's a longshot. "Mr. Game 7" is one of the most famous playoff performers in history, evidenced by his three rings and Conn Smythe from 2014. Although he's highly accomplished and universally liked, Williams just doesn't have Hall of Fame stats.

Possible candidates for the 2023 HHOF class

https://www.tsn.ca/possible-candidates-for-the-2023-hockey-hall-of-fame-class-1.1818220

For the first time in a long time, the Hockey Hall of Fame welcomed a class of new inductees on Monday.

After COVID-19 delayed the enshrinement of the 2020 class until last November, the Hall’s selection committee did not name a set of 2021 inductions. This year, there are six getting the call.

Just as they stuck together their whole career, Vancouver Canucks legends Daniel and Henrik Sedin are getting the nod as a pair, joining goaltender Roberto Luongo, Daniel Alfredsson, Riikka Sallinen and Herb Carnegie as members of the 2022 class.

Now, we look ahead to next year’s crop, featuring holdovers from this year and fist-time eligible players. Just like this year’s group, there are plenty of deserving candidates.

First-year eligible

Henrik Lundqvist

There were 21 goaltenders selected before the New York Rangers took Henrik Lundqvist 205th overall in the 2000 NHL Draft. Not one of them went on to have the kind of success the King did.

Lundqvist spent his entire 15-year playing career on Broadway, finishing with a record of 459-310-96, a save percentage of .918 and a goals-against average of 2.43. He was as consistent as they came from the start.

He made his debut as a 23-year-old and immediately took over as New York’s No. 1 goaltender, winning 30 games and earning the nod for the NHL’s All-Rookie Team. The Swede never let his guard down, tallying an 11-season run that saw him post a 2.28 GAA and a save percentage of .921 while playing in five All-Star games. In addition to being sixth on the NHL’s all-time goaltender wins list (459), he owns the Ranger record for wins, playoff wins (61), shutouts (64) and games played (887). 

Lundqvist’s performance sharply declined during the 2018-19 and after another tough season the following year, he had his contract bought out by the Rangers and signed with the Washington Capitals on a one-year deal in 2020.

However, after signing, Lundqvist announced he would miss the season and required surgery to correct an irregular heartbeat. Less than nine months after having the procedure, he announced his retirement in August of last year.

The Rangers honoured King Henrik in a January ceremony where he became the 11th member of the Rangers to have his jersey ascend to the rafters at Madison Square Garden.

Corey Crawford

Corey Crawford may not have as decorated a career as Lundqvist, but he also spent more than a decade in the crease for one team as one of the NHL’s elite goaltenders. That isn’t easy to do.

While Crawford did not play during the Chicago Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup run of 2010, he backstopped them to a pair of Cup victories in 2013 and 2015, winning the William M. Jennings Trophy in each of those two campaigns. 

For a franchise that has employed some elite goaltending over the years, Crawford ranks near the top in nearly every statistical category for netminders. He’s third in games played (488) behind Tony Esposito and Glenn Hall, second in wins (260), third in total saves (12,778), second in save percentage (.918) and third in goals-against average (2.45).

Like Lundqvist, Crawford eventually departed the team that drafted him in the fall of 2020, signing a two-year, $7.8 million deal with the New Jersey Devils. But before he appeared in a game, Crawford announced he was taking an indefinite leave from the team for personal reasons and eventually made his retirement official in January of 2021. 

Justin Williams

The career statistics might not scream Hall of Fame, but few players of the modern era align more with winning than Justin Williams.

Nicknamed “Mr. Game 7” for his tendency to show up when it mattered most, Williams played 19 seasons in the NHL with four different teams and had playoff success at pretty much every stop.

The Coburg, Ont., native won three Stanley Cups – one with the Carolina Hurricanes in 2006 and two with the Los Angeles Kings in 2012 and 2014 – and played in nine Game 7s throughout his playoff career, winning eight of them.

He was named the Conn Smythe Trophy winner for scoring nine goals and adding 16 assists in 26 games during L.A.’s 2014 Cup run and reached the postseason in 12 of his 19 seasons.

Williams also stayed effective late into his NHL career, reaching the 50-point plateau in 2017-18 and 2018-19. At the time of his last appearance the following season, Williams had eight goals through 20 games.

For his career, the winger amassed 320 goals and 477 assists in 1,264 NHL games.

Other notable names: Jimmy Howard, Ben Bishop, Dustin Byfuglien

Returning candidates

Alexander Mogilny

Only six players have scored more than 75 goals in a season, and five of them are in the Hall of Fame.

And after Monday’s announcement, Alexander Mogilny is still waiting.

While he may not have been able to fully replicate his iconic 76-goal 1992-93 season with the Buffalo Sabres, Mogilny still reached the 30-goal mark seven times during his 16-year NHL stay. He was also a north of a point-per-game player for much of his career, retiring in 2006 with 473 goals and 559 assists in 990 career regular-season games.

He also has 86 points in 124 playoff games, winning the Stanley Cup with the New Jersey Devils in 2000 after arriving in a trade from the Vancouver Canucks.

Henrik Zetterberg

Selected in the seventh round of the 1999 NHL Draft, nobody was more synonymous with the later years of the Detroit Red Wings' dominance than Henrik Zetterberg.

While he missed out on gaining entry to the 2022 class announced Monday in his first year of eligibility, the winger's case will merit consideration each year he remains on the ballot.

Zetterberg is fifth in Red Wings history in goals (337), assists (623) and total points (960). He won the Conn Smythe Trophy in 2008 when he tallied 13 goals and 14 assists in 27 games as the Red Wings captured their fourth Stanley Cup in 11 years. He also starred the following postseason with 11 goals and 13 assists in 24 games as Detroit fell just short of repeating as champs.

Internationally, Zetterberg won gold with Sweden in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino.

Caroline Ouellette

A mainstay on Canada's national women's team for years, Ouellette is one of three players to win at least four Olympic golds in women's hockey, joining Hall of Famers Hayley Wickenheiser (five) and Jayna Hefford (four). 

She won gold at the 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014 Games, tallying 26 points in 20 Olympic contests. 

A native of Montreal, Ouellette has also helped Canada to six IIHF Women's World Hockey Championship titles ans six second-place titles from 1999 to 2015. She trails Wickenheiser and Hefford in all-time national team scoring with 87 goals and 242 points.

Ouellette also won the Clarkson Cup playing for the Canadiennes de Montreal in the Canadian Women's Hockey League four times and is the third all-time leading scorer in the history of the NCAA's University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs with 229 points in 97 games.

Meghan Duggan

Meghan Duggan spent more than 10 years as a dynamic forward for the United States women’s national team, captaining the group to a gold medal at the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics.

She also served as captain for American teams that won the Olympic silver medal in 2010 and 2014 while helping lead the U.S. to seven first-place finishes at the IIHF Women’s World Hockey Championship. All in all, she played 144 games with the women’s national team, recording 43 goals and 35 assists for 78 points.

In college, Duggan starred at the University of Wisconsin, winning three national championships (2007, 2009, 2011) and tallying 238 points in 159 games for the Badgers. In 2011, she was named the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award winner as the top player in NCAA Division I women’s hockey.

Curtis Joseph

Curtis Joseph has been on the Hall of Fame ballot for 10 years now, but the fact remains that he is seventh in goaltender wins all-time with 454. That’s more than HOFers Terry Sawchuk (445), Jacques Plante (437), Tony Esposito (423), Glenn Hall (407), Grant Fuhr (403) and Dominik Hasek (389). However, all those players all won at least one Stanley Cup, which Joseph never did.

Over a 19-year career spent primarily with the St. Louis Blues, Toronto Maple Leafs and Edmonton Oilers, the Keswick, Ont., native owns a GAA of 2.79 and a save percentage of .906.

Patrik Elias

Rarely does anyone make it to 20 years in the NHL – let alone with one team. Patrik Elias is one of those rare cases, playing 20 seasons all for the New Jersey Devils.

Elias only posted more than 81 points in a campaign once – tallying 96 in 2000-01 with 40 goals and 56 assists – but his consistency over two decades in the league is tough to ignore.

So is his impact on the Devils. He is the franchise’s leader in goals (408), assists (617), points (1,025) and game-winning goals (80). His 1,240 games played for the team rank third in franchise history behind Ken Daneyko (1,283) and Martin Brodeur (1,259).

He also led the Devils to two Stanley Cups, one in 2000 and the other in 2003 alongside Hall of Famers Scott Stevens and Martin Brodeur.

Other notable names: Karyn Bye-Dietz, Jennifer Botterill, Rick Nash, Pierre Turgeon, Rod Brind’Amour, Sergei Gonchar

18 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The King

Mogilny 

JR or rod

Looking at all the predictions from the 7 sources listed above – NHL, TSN, ESPN, SportsNet, TheScore, DailyFaceOff, and Yahoo – it appears the writers think or know for a fact that the Hall of Fame committee will continue to hold off on inducting the remaining members of the NHL 500+ goals club, and they will also continue to ignore the 1980s, and induct more recently retired players, like they did this year. As for the remaining eligible 500+ goals club members – Keith Tkachuk, Pat Verbeek, and Jeremy Roenick were all considered pests that no one liked, while Pierre Turgeon and Peter Bondra were the nice guys.

The writers all seem to be in agreement about three things – Henrik Lundqvist, Rod Brind’Amour, and Alexander Mogilny have to be the ones inducted next!

So, in addition to my 12 predictions in the opening post, here are a few more (male player category only) – 

PREDICTION # 13

Rod Brind’Amour

Alexander Mogilny

Henrik Lundqvist

Henrik Zetterberg

PREDICTION # 14

Pierre Turgeon

Rod Brind’Amour

Alexander Mogilny

Henrik Lundqvist

PREDICTION # 15

Peter Bondra