Minnesota Wild @ Nashville Predators, Tuesday 11-15-22, 7:00pm, Bridgestone Arena

MNSOTA

1 minute ago, ClusterChuck said:

Surprised ?!?...That's a must if we want to pay our youth soon like Boldy and others. I want it done at trade deadline.
Since both Dumba and Spurge signed their big contracts, They've coasted. Hence the CC term. 

Yea, because there is ALWAYS a chance Dumba stays on at a significantly lower cap hit.
I don't see what else he can offer to the Wild though, so I would be inclined to believe he wouldn't be retained.

I think he is what he is at this stage of his career....perhaps he can be 'hidden' on a deeper team that could get him to use his shot and physical gifts more, but Minnesota doesn't seem to be that team, not with the reshaping of the roster, and as you said, up n comers needing ice time.

As for players coasting, that seems to be the case with MANY players who sign big deals.
Fat Cat Syndrome I call it.

Sometimes, I think players may even do it subconsciously.
They work their tails off for that big money, then get it, are rightly proud, then take a deep breath....then TOO MANY deep breaths after that, and sorta forget what got them there in the first place.
That too can categorized as a 'theory' :rolleyes: 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

19 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

I said last game put FG with EK and Foligno. There's no 'Grief' line anymore, That was last season. 
Give Rossi a chance on L-1 to maybe spark something in him...Or anybody at this point. L-1 has been cold for a while.

I agree.  I had the same thoughts some weeks ago.  IF FG is such a 'swiss army knife,' then he should be able to slightly impersonate Greenway (sans the size and reach).  What he CANNOT do, is impersonate a highly skilled center (or adequate finisher like Hartman was) and play with Zucc and Kap.  You just cannot make him have more skill and finishing.  You also don't put him out in a Top 3 on a shootout like the Sharks game - Evason is going to lose his job if he doesn't stop with the GF nepotism.  It just doesn't work aside from bottom 6 - no matter how much he tries to force it.  The guy is also almost 30 - he ain't getting any better.🙄

The line combos this year have been perplexing, as has the timing of the line assignments.  DE got lucky last year until the playoffs exposed his stubbornness (when he should have made a few changes).  Now, this year, he is overthinking things - and it shows.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

^^ I call it the "I made it" signing and they lose a bit of that intensity that got them to that big contract.

Agreed.  It is even more exacerbated by the duration of the big $.  The duration of Spurgeon's deal is ludicrous.  It will cause another Suter-like buyout, as it takes him within a few years of age 40 - long past his 'sell by date.'  His current performance is a harbinger of what the last few years of the deal will look like (and worse).  A gaffe on top of two BAD gaffes.

• Good Post 1

Just now, EmptyShelf said:

Agreed.  It is even more exacerbated by the duration of the big $.  The duration of Spurgeon's deal is ludicrous.  It will cause another Suter-like buyout, as it takes him within a few years of age 40 - long past his 'sell by date.'  His current performance is a harbinger of what the last few years of the deal will look like (and worse).  A gaffe on top of two BAD gaffes.

BG authorized that last Spurgeon contract and it WILL haunt him and be a single millstone rivaling the two he inherited - just a poor decision.  5 years term was PLENTY (and likely too much).

10 minutes ago, EmptyShelf said:

That's about the only choice with Spurge. But either way we can't keep 2 6M D's 
Problem with Dumba is he wouldn't take less to stay (Substantial) and nobody would probably pay that amount in a trade, We'd have to probably pay a part for some time being.
It's almost the rare possibility that it would be financially benefical to just let him walk. I don't think teams do that tho.

Edited by ClusterChuck

Tell you what...Matt Boldy may be in a bit of drought offensively, but it's not for lack of trying.

That guy is paying the price, sticking his nose in the tough areas, getting smashed out there to try and make plays.
Also hustling all the time to loose pucks.

I'd imagine that will balance the ledger eventually when he will see lots of offensive production again if he keeps doing what he is doing.
Very impressed with his work ethic and glad he is a member of the Minnesota Wild.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Tell you what...Matt Boldy may be in a bit of drought offensively, but it's not for lack of trying.

That guy is paying the price, sticking his nose in the tough areas, getting smashed out there to try and make plays.
Also hustling all the time to loose pucks.

I'd imagine that will balance the ledger eventually when he will see lots of offensive production again if he keeps doing what he is doing.
Very impressed with his work ethic and glad he is a member of the Minnesota Wild.

A goal would surely help get his swagger back. 😎

• Like 1