Some run by Rochester Americans (Sabres farm team)

Buffalo Rick

The Rochester Americans are still alive!  Down 3 games to 1 they beat Hershey in game 5 to force another game, in Rochester, and it’s now 3-2.  Rochester is the big underdog left in the tournament for sure.  Hershey are a big tough team.  I have seen Hershey more than any other opponent at the  War Memorial over the years but it’s been a long long time since I have attended in Rochester.  I go to Buffalo more often.  Hell, you can buy season tickets to Rochester Amerks for about the same price as one good Sabres ticket.   So this Calder Cup surprise run by the Amerks has to be good for the Sabres as a few of these guys if not 2 or 3 will have a shot at seeing time with the big club next year.  It will be nothing short of a miracle if they manage to beat Hershey the next two and get to the Calder Cup finals and the two western teams left are monsters.  Of course Rochester and Hershey do not see them in the regular season, The AHL is huge now.  And some teams can never play unless it’s the Calder cup final.  Imagine Bakersfield or San Jose playing Rochester in the finals.   No bus rides like the old days.  They would have to get on a plane. The league is not coast to coast and Rochester and Hershey are two of the oldest and most storied franchises in the league.  Both have won multiple Calder Cups.  Its fitting that these two have met once again.  We do not see Hershey as often as we did in the old days.

PS, a couple of Sabres on the team are Lawrence Pilut and Jyost.  I’m sure I spelled his name wrong but he was in Buffalo before.  I thought Pilut could stay up but they had other ideas.  I’d prefer him to Stillman for sure.  I don’t think Lawrence will stick around long because he can play in the NHL and would start on some other teams. 

Edited by Hockey Junkie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The Rochester Americans are still alive!  Down 3 games to 1 they beat Hershey in game 5 to force another game, in Rochester, and its now 3-2.  Rochester is the big underdog left in the tournament for sure.  Hershey are a big tough team.  I have seen Hershey more than any other opponent at the  War Memorial over the years but its been a long long time since I have attended in Rochester.  I go to Buffalo more often.  Hell, you can buy season tickets to Rochester Amerks for about the same price as one good Sabres ticket.   So this Calder Cup surprise run by the Amerks has to be good for the Sabres as a few of these guys if not 2 or 3 will have a shot at seeing time with the big club next year.  It will be nothing short of a miracle if they manage to beat Hershey the next two and get to the Calder Cup finals and the two western teams left are monsters.  Of course Rochester and Hershey do not see them in the regular season, The AHL is huge now.  And some teams can never play unless its the Calder cup final.  Imagine Bakersfield or San Jose playing Rochester in the finals.   No bus rides like the old days.  They would have to get on a plane. The league is not coast to coast and Rochester and Hershey are two of the oldest and most storied franchises in the league.  Both have won multiple Calder Cups.  Its fitting that these two have met once again.  We do not see Hershey as often as we did in the old days.

I love AHL hockey.  Living only 30 minutes away from Hershey my family tries to make a few games a year.  The atmosphere is great.  You may remember, I have mentioned before I used to be on the ice crew for the Norfolk Admirals (back when they were still in AHL for the Blackhawks).  Some great stories I could tell you.  I met a ton of players who went on to have successful careers in the NHL.

The Bears and Amerks used to have a great rivalry years ago when most of the AHL teams geographically remained in the northeast.  With the AHL expanding nationwide most of the North and Atlantic division teams don't play the Central or Pacific division teams which is a shame.  ( I get the $$$$$ factor).   I also get the factor of moving many AHL teams to the west coast to make travel easier on the players for their respective NHL club.

Do you remember the old IHL (International Hockey League)?  I remember when the IHL was absorbed/merged by the AHL.  That is when the AHL really began to take off.  Hats off to Dave Andrews, former  AHL President and Chief Executive Officer.... he had a vision for the AHL and it has really paid off.  Unlike Bettman who is hated throughout the NHL.

Good luck to your Amerks even though I am partial to Hershey (living close by) and to Lehigh Valley (the area where I grew up and AHL club to the Flyers).

And yes ...of the current active teams in the AHL.... Hershey is the oldest (founded in 1938) and Rochester is 2nd oldest (founded in 1956.)  And yes the Bears have the most Calder Cup wins at 11 with the Amerks in second with 6 Calder Cup wins.

Great post .......

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

@pilldoc

My home rink was the Park Arena.

My great aunt and my aunt took me there to see the bears when I was a wee lad. 

The Bears are a great value like @Hockey Junkie says about the Amerks.

I think I've taken teen girl mojo to enough games that the Giant Center will be her home rink. 

I love that the Bears and Amerks are playing in the semis.  A great lifelong rivalry for me. This Bears 🐻 team is one of the best I've seen in the last 15 years. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I love that the Bears and Amerks are playing in the semis.  A great lifelong rivalry for me. This Bears 🐻 team is one of the best I've seen in the last 15 years. 

Agree .... the Bears had some tremendous teams in the early 2000's when I was still living in Va Beach at the time. (Back when I had season tickets to Admirals and when I was on the ice crew ...fun times back then.)

On 6/2/2023 at 6:59 AM, pilldoc said:

I love AHL hockey.  Living only 30 minutes away from Hershey my family tries to make a few games a year.  The atmosphere is great.  You may remember, I have mentioned before I used to be on the ice crew for the Norfolk Admirals (back when they were still in AHL for the Blackhawks).  Some great stories I could tell you.  I met a ton of players who went on to have successful careers in the NHL.

The Bears and Amerks used to have a great rivalry years ago when most of the AHL teams geographically remained in the northeast.  With the AHL expanding nationwide most of the North and Atlantic division teams don't play the Central or Pacific division teams which is a shame.  ( I get the $$$$$ factor).   I also get the factor of moving many AHL teams to the west coast to make travel easier on the players for their respective NHL club.

Do you remember the old IHL (International Hockey League)?  I remember when the IHL was absorbed/merged by the AHL.  That is when the AHL really began to take off.  Hats off to Dave Andrews, former  AHL President and Chief Executive Officer.... he had a vision for the AHL and it has really paid off.  Unlike Bettman who is hated throughout the NHL.

Good luck to your Amerks even though I am partial to Hershey (living close by) and to Lehigh Valley (the area where I grew up and AHL club to the Flyers).

And yes ...of the current active teams in the AHL.... Hershey is the oldest (founded in 1938) and Rochester is 2nd oldest (founded in 1956.)  And yes the Bears have the most Calder Cup wins at 11 with the Amerks in second with 6 Calder Cup wins.

Great post .......

In the old days when Hershey, Rochester, Springfield, Providence, (exit), almost forgot the Baltimore Clippers, and even the Buffalo Bisons were the main teams, you had to ride a bus.  No more.  So Hershey won and is In finals and if it’s that farm team of the Kracken, who are up 3-2 on Milwaukee, it won’t be a big s ride from PA to California.  The Western team will likely be the favorite due to their outstanding record but Hershey can’t be counted out.  Good run by Amerks.  I’m sure Adams is happy that the Sabres can pluck someone from that lineup maybe?  It’s crazy how many teams, but many will never meet unless it’s the Calder Cup final

Edited by Hockey Junkie