The 2023 Hockey Hall of Fame Inductees

NHL HHOF

The 2023 Hockey Hall of Fame inductees will be announced this coming Wednesday, June 21, at 3:00 PM. The selection announcement will be made live on TSN4, TSN.ca and the TSN App.

MY FINAL PREDICTION

Boris Mikhailov

Henrik Lundqvist

Rod Brind'Amour

Alexander Mogilny

Caroline Ouellette

Howard Baldwin

David Poile

In the meantime...

Edited by NHL HHOF

My two cents

Lundqvist is a rock solid absolute no brainer first ballot hall of famer

Zetterberg barely missed last year. He slides in with his countryman the King

Alexander Mogilny finally gets the call after being criminally overlooked for so many years.

Boris Mikhailov gets in, truthfully he should have went in way ahead of countryman Yakyuchev who inexplicably made it four or five years ago.

Some woman i have never heard of and wont remember five minutes after the election.

Builder category i am going out on a limb and choosing Ken Hitchcock. 

Dark horses would have to be JR and Tkachuk who both appear to have the numbers but never the votes. A lot of people like CuJo but i see him as a long lasting goalie who had good but not great numbers. 

23 hours ago, yave1964 said:

My two cents

Lundqvist is a rock solid absolute no brainer first ballot hall of famer

Zetterberg barely missed last year. He slides in with his countryman the King

Alexander Mogilny finally gets the call after being criminally overlooked for so many years.

Boris Mikhailov gets in, truthfully he should have went in way ahead of countryman Yakyuchev who inexplicably made it four or five years ago.

Some woman i have never heard of and wont remember five minutes after the election.

Builder category i am going out on a limb and choosing Ken Hitchcock. 

Dark horses would have to be JR and Tkachuk who both appear to have the numbers but never the votes. A lot of people like CuJo but i see him as a long lasting goalie who had good but not great numbers. 

Will the current war in Russia cause the Hall of Fame committee to avoid inducting Boris Mikhailov and Alexander Mogilny at this time? HHOF fearing they won't show up to the ceremony. Alexander Mogilny previously declined an invitation to the Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame. Mogilny serves as President of Amur Khabarovsk of the KHL.

• Like 1

Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2023 could include Lundqvist

Goalie is 6th all-time in wins; Mogilny, Tkachuk, Zetterberg among those to be considered

https://www.nhl.com/news/henrik-lundqvist-tops-2023-hall-of-fame-candidates/c-344934868

Candidates must receive at least 75 percent of the vote from the selection committee to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. A maximum of four retired male players, two retired female players, two builders or one builder and one retired official may be inducted in a single year.

David Poile is the only Builder mentioned in the article. Among the 500+ goals club members, only Keith Tkachuk, Pierre Turgeon, and Jeremy Roenick are mentioned. Pat Verbeek and Peter Bondra are not.

The rest of the mentioned players - Corey Crawford, Henrik Lundqvist, Justin Williams, Tom Barrasso, Rod Brind'Amour, Patrik Elias, Theo Fleury, Sergei Gonchar, Curtis Joseph, Reggie Leach, Alexander Mogilny, Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Henrik Zetterberg, Alexander Maltsev, Boris Mikhailov, Jennifer Botterill, Karyn Bye-Dietz, Meghan Duggan, Caroline Ouellette

FzE4qSVXwAIdqsE?format=png&name=small

HENRIK LUNDQVIST LEADS POTENTIAL NOMINEES FOR 2023 HOCKEY HALL OF FAME CLASS

The Hockey Hall of Fame's 2023 class is scheduled to be unveiled on Wednesday. Carol Schram examines first-time eligibles and recurring candidates on the men's and women's sides.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/henrik-lundqvist-leads-potential-nominees-for-2023-hockey-hall-of-fame-class

Henrik Lundqvist is expected to headline the Hockey Hall of Fame’s class of 2023

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2023/06/21/henrik-lundqvist-is-expected-to-headline-the-hockey-hall-of-fames-class-of-2023.html

Henrik Lundqvist, Henrik Zetterberg, Jennifer Botterill, Caroline Ouellette, David Poile are among the top candidates being considered by the board chaired by Hall of Famer Mike Gartner, who was inducted in 2001. The long wait also could be over for point-a-game Russian winger Alexander Mogilny and goalie Curtis Joseph. 

THE 2023 HOCKEY HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES

https://www.hhof.com/induction/induction2023/induction2023.html

https://www.hhof.com/induction/induction2023/abouttheclass.html

Mike Vernon

Tom Barrasso

Pierre Turgeon

Henrik Lundqvist

Caroline Ouellette

Pierre Lacroix

Ken Hitchcock

IND23_landing_desktop.jpg

• Good Post 1

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME ANNOUNCES THE CLASS OF 2023

The Hockey Hall of Fame announced Henrik Lundqvist, Tom Barrasso, Caroline Ouellette, Pierre Turgeon, Mike Vernon, Ken Hitchcock and Pierre Lacroix as the class of 2023.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/hockey-hall-of-fame-announces-the-class-of-2023

Trio of netminders headline 2023 Hockey Hall of Fame class

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/henrik-lundqvist-mike-vernon-tom-barrasso-among-seven-named-to-2023-hockey-hall-of-fame-class-1.1975881

5 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

Somebody contact Dale Hunter with this news, stat!

I got nothing right this year, but I'm pretty happy with this year's inductees. Three players from the 80s-90s, which helps to shorten the backlog. The induction of Pierre Turgeon brings the list of retired NHL 500+ goal-scorers who are not in the Hockey Hall of Fame down to 5. Also, I think they had to induct Tom Barrasso and Mike Vernon to make up for Henrik Lundqvist not having any Stanley Cup championships. Some people on the committee must have protested. Barrasso and Vernon each have 2 Stanley Cup championships. Tom Barrasso and Pierre Turgeon were teammates in Buffalo.

The NHL teams that will be represented at the 2023 Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremony...

Tom Barrasso

Buffalo Sabres

Pittsburgh Penguins

Ottawa Senators

Carolina Hurricanes

Toronto Maple Leafs

St. Louis Blues

Mike Vernon

Calgary Flames

Detroit Red Wings

San Jose Sharks

Florida Panthers

Pierre Turgeon

Buffalo Sabres

New York Islanders

Montreal Canadiens

St. Louis Blues

Dallas Stars

Colorado Avalanche

Henrik Lundqvist

New York Rangers

Pierre Lacroix

Quebec Nordiques

Colorado Avalanche

Ken Hitchcock

Dallas Stars

Philadelphia Flyers

Columbus Blue Jackets

St. Louis Blues

Edmonton Oilers

46 GOALTENDERS IN THE HOCKEY HALL OF FAME

01. 1945 - Charlie Gardiner
02. 1945 - Georges Vezina
03. 1958 - Alec Connell
04. 1958 - Hugh Lehman
05. 1958 - Paddy Moran
06. 1959 - Tiny Thompson
07. 1961 - George Hainsworth
08. 1961 - Percy LeSueur
09. 1961 - Oliver Seibert
10. 1962 - Harry Westwick
11. 1963 - Riley Hern
12. 1963 - John Bower Hutton
13. 1964 - Bill Durnan
14. 1965 - Clint Benedict
15. 1966 - Frank Brimsek
16. 1967 - Turk Broda
17. 1969 - Roy Worters
18. 1971 - Terry Sawchuk
19. 1972 - Hap Holmes
20. 1973 - Chuck Rayner
21. 1975 - Glenn Hall
22. 1976 - Johnny Bower
23. 1978 - Jacques Plante
24. 1980 - Harry Lumley
25. 1980 - Gump Worsley
26. 1982 - Emile Francis (Builder Category)
27. 1983 - Ken Dryden
28. 1984 - Bernie Parent
29. 1985 - Gerry Cheevers
30. 1987 - Ed Giacomin
31. 1988 - Tony Esposito
32. 1989 - Vladislav Tretiak
33. 1993 - Billy Smith
34. 2003 - Grant Fuhr
35. 2006 - Patrick Roy
36. 2011 - Ed Belfour
37. 2014 - Dominik Hasek
38. 2016 - Rogie Vachon
39. 2018 - Martin Brodeur
40. 2019 - Jim Rutherford (Builder Category)
41. 2020 - Ken Holland (Builder Category)
42. 2020 - Kim St-Pierre
43. 2022 - Roberto Luongo

44. 2023 - Tom Barrasso

45. 2023 - Mike Vernon

46. 2024 - Henrik Lundqvist

FzMUGsqWwAA7qtv?format=png&name=900x900

cut.jpg

Barrasso, Lundqvist, Vernon voted to Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Goalies headline list of 7 to be inducted; Hitchcock, Lacroix, Ouellette, Turgeon also elected

by Nicholas J. Cotsonika @cotsonika / NHL.com Columnist

https://www.nhl.com/news/tom-barrasso-henrik-lundqvist-mike-vernon-voted-to-hockey-hall-of-fame-class-of-2023/c-344958184

Henrik Lundqvist had posters of Tom Barrasso and Mike Vernon on his wall.

Now he's entering the Hockey Hall of Fame with them.

The goalies were elected by the 18-member selection committee Wednesday with Pierre Turgeon and Caroline Ouellette. Ken Hitchcock and Pierre Lacroix were elected in the Builders category.

The Class of 2023 will be inducted in Toronto on Nov. 13.

"It's really cool," Lundqvist said. "… As a kid when you grow up, you look at the goalies that are playing well and how they play the game and how they compete. That's how you get inspired."

Lundqvist was elected in his first year of eligibility.

Selected in the seventh round (No. 205) of the 2000 NHL Draft by the New York Rangers, Lundqvist played for the Rangers from 2005-20, helping them advance as far as the Stanley Cup Final in 2014.

He was a finalist for the Vezina Trophy five times and won it in 2012 when he was voted the NHL's best goalie. The native of Are, Sweden, won 459 games, sixth in NHL history and most among goalies born in Europe. He had a .918 save percentage, tied for eighth among goalies who have played at least 300 games (Cory Schneider, Corey Crawford).

Lundqvist also won a gold medal with Sweden at the 2006 Torino Olympics and a silver medal at the 2014 Sochi Olympics.

"I just want to say thank you to the committee for voting me in," Lundqvist said. "I mean, growing up as a kid, thinking about players in the Hall of Fame … It's such a big inspiration to me why I started playing hockey."

Barrasso and Vernon were elected after long waits.

Selected in the first round (No. 5) in the 1983 NHL Draft by the Buffalo Sabres, Barrasso went from high school to the NHL. The Boston native won the Calder Trophy as the rookie of the year and the Vezina.

He said fear was a driving factor, because he wanted to succeed so badly to stay with the Sabres.

"It was an amazing year, as an 18-year-old turning 19," Barrasso said. "I never achieved that level of success again in my career, which is crazy to say -- individually, anyway. It was just an amazing run."

Barrasso, who was a Vezina finalist four more times, helped the Pittsburgh Penguins win the Stanley Cup in 1991 and 1992.

He won 369 games for the Sabres, Penguins, Ottawa Senators, Carolina Hurricanes, Toronto Maple Leafs and St. Louis Blues from 1983-2003. At the time of his retirement, he ranked 12th in NHL history. Today he's tied for 20th with Pekka Rinne.

"I was definitely not waiting by the phone," Barrasso said with a laugh. "In fact, they had a hard time getting ahold of me even after they had made the decision. I think as a player, you're competitive, and you hold yourself in certain regard as how you think your career was.

"And then this obviously the ultimate honor, and do you make that grade or not? It's not for you to decide. It's for others to decide. So as time goes by, you think, 'Well, it's not going to happen.'"

He said he had grown to accept that and was OK with his career whether or not he made the Hockey Hall of Fame.

"It's a tremendous honor to have been selected by the committee, and it puts a bit of a validation on … what I thought along the way of my career," he said.

Selected in the third round (No. 56) of the 1981 NHL Draft by his hometown Calgary Flames, Vernon was the runner-up to Patrick Roy of the Montreal Canadiens for the Vezina in 1989, when he helped the Flames win the Cup.

His captain was Lanny McDonald, who is now the chairman of the board of directors of the Hockey Hall of Fame. McDonald and Mike Gartner, the chairman of the selection committee, called each person selected Wednesday.

"Well, I thought Lanny was calling me for a golf game," Vernon said with a laugh. "It was great to hear his voice."

Vernon also won the Cup and the Conn Smythe Trophy voted as the most valuable player of the Stanley Cup Playoffs with the Detroit Red Wings in 1997.

He won 385 games for the Flames, Red Wings, San Jose Sharks and Florida Panthers from 1982-2002. At the time of his retirement, he ranked seventh in NHL history. He ranks 16th today.

"Yeah, it is an emotional time for me," Vernon said. "Might be a long time coming, but it's still worth it."

Vernon thought back to his roots in a hockey family -- roots to which many goalies can relate.

"Hockey was instilled in me at a very young age, and I had older brothers that used to shoot pucks on me, so I was obviously the guy that was stuck in net, and it was fun," Vernon said. "I just enjoyed the game, and the game means a lot to me. It still means a lot to me, and I loved it."

Ouellette is one of three female players who has won at least four Olympic gold medals, joining Canada women's national team teammates Hayley Wickenheiser (five) and Jayna Hefford (four). Wickenheiser and Hefford are in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Ouellette won gold at the Olympics in 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014, totaling 26 points (nine goals, 17 assists) in 20 games. She won the gold six times at the IIHF Women's World Championship and earned silver at the other six tournaments she played in from 1999-2015. Ouellette also won the Clarkson Cup playing for the Canadiennes de Montreal in the Canadian Women's Hockey League four times and an NCAA Division I title at the University of Minnesota-Duluth.

Turgeon has the most points of any eligible player not in the Hall of Fame with 1,327 (515 goals, 812 assists) in 1,294 games with the Sabres, New York Islanders, Canadiens, Blues, Dallas Stars and Colorado Avalanche. He also had 97 points (35 goals, 62 assists) in 109 playoff games. 

Hitchcock is the fourth-winningest coach in NHL history, with a record of 849-534-127 with 88 ties in 22 seasons with the Stars, Philadelphia Flyers, Columbus Blue Jackets, Blues and Edmonton Oilers. He guided Dallas to the Stanley Cup in 1999.

Lacroix was GM of the Quebec Nordiques and Avalanche from 1994-2006. He built Stanley Cup-winning teams in 1996 and 2001.

NHL.com senior writer Dan Rosen contributed to this report

Edited by NHL HHOF
  • Good Post 1

cut.jpg

Turgeon's induction into Hockey Hall of Fame is long time coming

Forward had been only retired player in NHL history with at least 1,300 points to have never received call

https://www.nhl.com/news/pierre-turgeons-induction-into-hockey-hall-of-fame-a-long-time-coming/c-344962172

Pierre Turgeon had been the only retired player in NHL history with at least 1,300 points to have never received a call from the Hockey Hall of Fame.

That all changed Wednesday.

"When you stop and you look back when you're young, but then you go through what you go through and the people that help you get there, it has been a great journey and a privilege to be a part of that journey," said Turgeon, who amassed 1,327 points (515 goals, 812 assists) in 1,294 games over 19 NHL seasons with the Buffalo Sabres, New York Islanders, Montreal Canadiens, St. Louis Blues, Dallas Stars and Colorado Avalanche.

Candidates had to receive at least 75 percent of the vote from the selection committee to be inducted. A maximum of four former male players, two former female players, two builders or one builder and one retired official may be inducted in a single year.

Turgeon will be entering the Hall alongside a class that includes former NHL goalies Henrik Lundqvist, Tom Barrasso and Mike Vernon, and former Canada women's national team forward Caroline Ouellette. Former coach Ken Hitchcock and former general manager Pierre Lacroix were voted in in the builder's category.

The induction ceremony will be held at the Hall in Toronto on Nov. 13.

Turgeon's NHL career began when he was selected by the Sabres with the No. 1 pick in the 1987 NHL Draft, and it didn't take long for him to make an impact. He had 88 points (34 goals, 54 assists) in 80 games as a 19-year-old in 1988-89, and 106 points (40 goals, 66 assists) in 80 games the following season.

Turgeon's most productive season in the NHL came in 1992-93 with the Islanders, who acquired him in a trade with the Sabres for future Hall of Fame forward Pat LaFontaine on Oct. 25, 1991. Turgeon finished tied for fifth in the League that season with 132 points (58 goals, 74 assists) in 83 games and won the Lady Byng Trophy, which is given annually to the player voted best to combine sportsmanship, gentlemanly conduct and ability.

Turgeon continued to produce during his first full season with the Canadiens in 1995-96, when he had 96 points (38 goals, 58 assists) in 80 games, but he would be traded to the Blues on Oct. 29, 1996.

Although Turgeon's time in St. Louis was limited because of injuries, which caused him to miss 67 games from 1997-2000, he still averaged more than a point per game in his five seasons with the Blues (355 points in 327 games).

Following stints with the Stars and Avalanche, Turgeon retired from the NHL on Sept. 5, 2007, after groin and calf injuries limited him to 17 games in 2006-07.

Sixteen years later, it's been quite the wait for Turgeon to get into the Hall, but he doesn't look at it that way.

"You know, if you look at the selection of the committee, there are a number of people they're looking at and there are a lot of great players that had great careers," Turgeon said. "So, it's got to be tough for them to decide. For me, it's just a privilege to be a part of this.

"It's crazy. I played hockey for a living, and I still play and I still go out there twice a week because I love the game so much. So, it is definitely an honor and a privilege to be part of this."

cut.jpg

Hitchcock shared coaching wisdom on path to Hockey Hall of Fame

Grateful for relationships built over course of 22 NHL seasons behind bench

by Dave Stubbs @Dave_Stubbs / NHL.com Columnist

https://www.nhl.com/news/ken-hitchcock-elected-to-hockey-hall-of-fame/c-344962180

Coaching legend Ken Hitchcock has made it his career's mission to give to others. On Wednesday, he was nearly overwhelmed to be on the receiving end, elected as a Builder among the Hockey Hall of Fame's seven-member Class of 2023.

"It's such a great honor," Hitchcock said from Kelowna, British Columbia, the news coming to him in a Toronto call from Lanny McDonald and Mike Gartner, respectively the Hall of Fame's chairman and 18-member Selection Committee chairman.

"My career started in minor hockey, coaching kids. To reach this stage is almost overwhelming to me. When the call came from Lanny today, I was in complete shock, not really ready for it. … This is an unbelievable honor for a guy who started his hockey just coaching kids."

From Midget AAA and coaching hockey fundamentals to girls in his native Edmonton, Hitchcock graduated to guide the Western Hockey League's major-junior Kamloops Blazers to great success during the late 1980s. 

He would further that experience in the minor pros toward 22 seasons for five NHL teams from 1995-2019. The 71-year-old won 849 games for the Dallas Stars, Philadelphia Flyers, Columbus Blue Jackets, St. Louis Blues and Edmonton Oilers. He is ranked fourth in NHL coaching wins during a 1,598-game career that included the 1998-99 Stanley Cup championship with the Stars and being voted winner of the 2011-12 Jack Adams Award with the Blues as the best coach in the League.

In 14 of his 22 seasons, he took his teams to the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hitchcock has also served as either head or associate coach internationally for Canada at the IIHF World Championship, World Juniors, World Cup of Hockey and three Olympic Games. In 2019, he was presented the Order of Hockey in Canada, awarded by Hockey Canada to individuals for their outstanding contributions or service to the growth and development of the sport.

Every step of the way, Hitchcock was a sponge for every drop of hockey information that came his way. And with each step, he took great pride in sharing his coaching wisdom with others, remembering the generosity of Canadian university coaches.

"They gave up every summer so we could learn," Hitchcock said, a list of legendary collegiate coaching names coming off the top of his head. "It was a combination of Tom Watt, Clare Drake, George Kingston, Dave King, Dr. (Robert) Hindmarch … they put clinics on every summer so they could teach us how to properly run practices, build teams, everything … 

"I was left with a profound knowledge. When they finished the meetings, they said, 'Now go out and share.' The NHL isn't a league about sharing (coaching) information, but I felt like I owed it to the people who allowed me to get the information. It was kind of my life's work. 

"I donated time every summer to give back. I learned from those guys that there's real value in giving back and sharing information. I know it really helped me when [coaches] were dealing with each other in the Olympics. Being able to share information was really valuable, and I had learned how to do that years earlier from the university coaches."

Indeed, in April 2020, a year after having been dismissed by the Oilers -- his final NHL coaching job -- and with the League paused during the pandemic, Hitchcock eagerly moved online to be a presenter with the NHL Coaches' Association mentorship program, outlining a 10-point plan geared at effective communication and leadership in building a team. 

Clearly, he was delighted to be back in school.

"I want a chance to learn every day," he said. "That's what a coach loves. It's great when you feel that you're learning something."

With so many ports of call during his NHL career, Hitchcock is immensely proud that he burned no bridges, maintaining friendships where dismissals might lead to a lingering bitterness. It's for that reason that he is one of the most popular men in hockey, held universally in high regard.

"What I'm proudest of is that I survived," Hitchcock said. "In this business, if you get fired and you do a good job and you have good relationships with people, there's a really good chance you get hired again. I felt really proud of the fact that I didn't leave places with bad blood, because we're in that business of getting hired and fired. 

"The other thing I feel really proud of is the relationships that I've been able to maintain since I stopped coaching. I've had strong friendships with people that I've worked with; they continue to this day. At the end of the day, that's what matters to me -- all the friends that I've made in the game of hockey."

Hitchcock truly was in his teaching element during his NHL Coaches' Association presentation three years ago, using multimedia to share his plan. 

"I'm really proud the fact that while I coached, I stayed current," Hitchcock said, embracing technology that didn't exist when he stood behind his first bench. "I worked really hard in the offseason to stay current, even as I got older. I really understand how valuable that was, looking back on it now.

"Over time, I've come to realize that I'm never not going to love coaching. I'm never going to think of myself as not a coach."

And there won't be a day when Hitchcock, now a Hall of Famer, won't be watching and listening, absorbing as a student and sharing as a teacher.

cut.jpg