Wings may not be done

yave1964

The wings made a huge trade for Debrincat the other day, following a flurry of signings during the frenzy. Still, with nearly eight million in cap space the Wings May still look to add one more forward.

The name that makes sense to me is Tomas Tatar. He is a solid middle six winger, plays both ends of the ice well and had 21 goals and 48 points last season. He has not gotten the offers he has hoped for, would be a great get on a two year deal.

Taresenko has been linked everywhere but only two or three teams can afford him. He fired his agents after only getting a 4x5 offer from Carolina as his best deal. He sounds more or less resigned to betting on himself with a one or two year deal. Ottawa wants him but by taking kubalik back in the Cat deal has less than five million in cap space and would have to move someone out. Would be a great fit.

My dark horse is Patrick Kane. Coming off his surgery he goes to be ready by the opener, he and the Cat were magic on a line in Chicago. They would be fun together with Larkin centering them.

Anyway you look at it, the Wings can financially afford one more big move, the back end is set, the net is three deep, another scoring winger would be ideal. Yzerman in his presser said he was going on vacation but he was not against spending to the cap if the deal made sense. I think any of these three would look great in the winged wheel on a two year deal. 

• Like 1

Yeah Tartar back in Detroit would be good that's where is was best and if they can get Kane on the cheap would be good too...Yzerman has always been one of my favorite players and favorite general managers too and looks like this is the year he takes the Red Wings to the next phase to being a playoff team again👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The wings made a huge trade for Debrincat the other day, following a flurry of signings during the frenzy. Still, with nearly eight million in cap space the Wings May still look to add one more forward.

The name that makes sense to me is Tomas Tatar. He is a solid middle six winger, plays both ends of the ice well and had 21 goals and 48 points last season. He has not gotten the offers he has hoped for, would be a great get on a two year deal.

Taresenko has been linked everywhere but only two or three teams can afford him. He fired his agents after only getting a 4x5 offer from Carolina as his best deal. He sounds more or less resigned to betting on himself with a one or two year deal. Ottawa wants him but by taking kubalik back in the Cat deal has less than five million in cap space and would have to move someone out. Would be a great fit.

My dark horse is Patrick Kane. Coming off his surgery he goes to be ready by the opener, he and the Cat were magic on a line in Chicago. They would be fun together with Larkin centering them.

Anyway you look at it, the Wings can financially afford one more big move, the back end is set, the net is three deep, another scoring winger would be ideal. Yzerman in his presser said he was going on vacation but he was not against spending to the cap if the deal made sense. I think any of these three would look great in the winged wheel on a two year deal. 

Kane is coming off of hip surgery, one which normally takes a bit of time--sometimes a LOT--from which to recover. Not sure our short-term need is long enough to get return on a deal for him. I prefer the Tatar deal over Taresenko if we are going to do one. Leave more play room for future deals as the potential of our talent comes into better focus, as will our future needs.

I already kinda think we are a bit too veteran-role-player deep, which is decreasing the chances for our young talent to get real NHL experience, though. I'd like to see Kasper get a serious opportunity to make the squad; Soderblom too; maybe even Mazur or Lombardi if they continue to impress. (Not to mention Wallinder on D and maybe Johansson). That's a LOT of young talent. If I was being critical of Stevie, I would say one too many veteran role players. Yes, we are a deeper team, which is good. It's certainly not an egregious sin. But I would have liked one more potential slot for a young player to be able to shoot for without having to be perfect. No gimmies, but more of a chance. I don't think we want to put the rebuild into overdrive, but a little acceleration would be good, IMHO. All of his moves definitely make us better for this season, but I still want our talent making its way to the show. Detroit tends to be on the slow side for doing this.

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 1

I don't know what the Wings will be doing next, and in the grand scheme of things, Detroit IS a rival to my Lightning whom I hope continue to try and get another Cup out of the current Stamkos-Hedman led core, but I am posting, as a shameless Yzerman 'homer', that Detroit fans are in for a real nice ride moving forward.

Team showed flashes of contention last season, I think fans can expect more of that, be in the race for longer....hell, maybe even make it in THIS year!

Light at the end of the tunnel?
Wings may not be quite Cup ready yet, but they are certainly OUT of that tunnel even now!

• Like 2

On 7/13/2023 at 8:32 AM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I don't know what the Wings will be doing next, and in the grand scheme of things, Detroit IS a rival to my Lightning whom I hope continue to try and get another Cup out of the current Stamkos-Hedman led core, but I am posting, as a shameless Yzerman 'homer', that Detroit fans are in for a real nice ride moving forward.

Team showed flashes of contention last season, I think fans can expect more of that, be in the race for longer....hell, maybe even make it in THIS year!

Light at the end of the tunnel?
Wings may not be quite Cup ready yet, but they are certainly OUT of that tunnel even now!

Yeah definitely out of the tunnel now with Stevie Y at the helm...I think Calgary just entering the tunnel now...reminds me of the Young Guns years in the 90s for for us so now it'll be Young Guns III now...

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 9:51 AM, SpikeDDS said:

Kane is coming off of hip surgery, one which normally takes a bit of time--sometimes a LOT--from which to recover. Not sure our short-term need is long enough to get return on a deal for him. I prefer the Tatar deal over Taresenko if we are going to do one. Leave more play room for future deals as the potential of our talent comes into better focus, as will our future needs.

I already kinda think we are a bit too veteran-role-player deep, which is decreasing the chances for our young talent to get real NHL experience, though. I'd like to see Kasper get a serious opportunity to make the squad; Soderblom too; maybe even Mazur or Lombardi if they continue to impress. (Not to mention Wallinder on D and maybe Johansson). That's a LOT of young talent. If I was being critical of Stevie, I would say one too many veteran role players. Yes, we are a deeper team, which is good. It's certainly not an egregious sin. But I would have liked one more potential slot for a young player to be able to shoot for without having to be perfect. No gimmies, but more of a chance. I don't think we want to put the rebuild into overdrive, but a little acceleration would be good, IMHO. All of his moves definitely make us better for this season, but I still want our talent making its way to the show. Detroit tends to be on the slow side for doing this.

Perron, Sprong, Fischer, ghost all free agents after the season. All are talented placeholders for the kids who will burst onto the team in 24-25. With injuries we will see edvisson, mazur and Kasper get their feet wet in a low pressure spot and ready to rock next year. I hope😁