leafs preview Is this finally the year??????

yave1964

FINAL RECORD 50-21-11 111 points 2nd in division. Made short work of Bolts before being bounced by Panthers

ADDITIONS Domi and Bertuzzi bring scoring and grit to the middle six. Klingberg hopes to rediscover scoring touch on the second power play. Martin Jones hopes to be adequate backup goalie. Ryan Reaves brings grit.

Youngsters, a lot of folks are really high on Matthew Knies, I think it is just Leaf fans overrating prospects again. Speaking of which this is make or break year for Nick Robertson. 

DEPARTURES whipping boy Holl takes his game to Detroit. Simmonds likely retiring. Both easily replaced not so much Ryan O'Reilly or Michael Bunting.  Schenn, Astin-Reece and Kerfoot are depth losses.

The hope is that Bert, Max and Klingberg can replace O'Reilly, Schenn and Bunting. Yikes. 

Matthews and Nylander need new deals, both sooner than later so it is not a distraction throughout the season.

SO THE QUESTION, CAN THE LEAFS WIM IT ALL?  IMHO yes, absolutely. A ridiculous amount of talent but every year that they don't is more pressure. Even a great season and defeating Tampa in the first round did not save Dubas job. Marner and Tavares locked up long term Matthews will be key. Nylander with no trade protection may be dealt for defenseman, Carolina seems a natural fit. I believe they win the division with around a 110 points and have the best record in the East. How it translates come postseason, I see them losing in the conference final to my pick to win it all who I haven't written up yet.

• Good Post 1

On 8/23/2023 at 8:48 AM, OccamsRazor said:

No not their year once again.

I know shocker?

Wonder what they get in return for trading Matthews at the deadline?

I think it'll be Nylander leaving but if they get him to stay all the better...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...