The Oilers are being absolutely crushed by terrible goaltending

JR Ewing

-Not a real hot take, I know.

-Not going to be a long post because it's so obvious.

A quick look at where the Oiler rank in some analytics:

xGoalsFor% - 1

High Danger Chance% - 1

xGoalsFor - 1

xGoals Against - 1

Scoring Chance% - 2

Scoring Chances Against - 2

High Danger Chances Against - 2

-I mention those so that people who don't watch their games can spare me with the lazy "they need a blueline" or "they don't have anybody who can defend" arguments.

Goaltending numbers

GA Above Expected - 32

SV% - 31

-Stuart Skinner is struggling badly and, even after started 7 games in an 8 game team winning streak, is last among starts in SV%. Jack Campbell is being $5M to play in the AHL, was just pulled from his last start, and is sporting an 0.888 SV%.

-Young Olivier Rodrigue has a .935 SV%, but the coach hasn't played him since Campbell's arrival. The Oilers are sewering the development of a kid who may well be a goaltender in the king of all sunk cost example.

-Forget about Grant Fuhr and Andy Moog, the Oilers current goaltending situation makes me wax poetic for the days when their tandem was Tommy Salo and Joaquin Gage.

-Ken Holland's inability to do better than Chris Osgood (conservatively) cost Detroit a Cup or two. That continued inability to get anything even approaching Osgood's league-average quality is costing one of the top teams from having a chance to win on a nightly basis, and is robbing one of the very greatest players in the history of this league from his opportunity to shine when it matters the most.

-The decade of darkness was maddening, but this is just sad.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, thegx.ca said:

Totally agree they need goaltending desperately...

Skinner has recovered very nicely, and gone back to the form he showed in his rookie year. His monthly totals have consistently improved, and he now has a SV% above league average:

image.png

He sits 5th in the league in Wins and 5th in Quality Starts. He's well above average in Quality Start%, hasn't had a Really Bad Start since November, and has taken the pressure off management to not go out and make a desperate over-payment. He was solid last year and has returned to that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Skinner has recovered very nicely, and gone back to the form he showed in his rookie year. His monthly totals have consistently improved, and he now has a SV% above league average:

image.png

He sits 5th in the league in Wins and 5th in Quality Starts. He's well above average in Quality Start%, hasn't had a Really Bad Start since November, and has taken the pressure off management to not go out and make a desperate over-payment. He was solid last year and has returned to that.

That'll probably their downfall again during playoffs same as last year thinking the goalie/defence problems fixed themselves...

8 hours ago, thegx.ca said:

That'll probably their downfall again during playoffs same as last year thinking the goalie/defence problems fixed themselves...

Gotcha. Maybe you can describe how good defensive teams play and what the Oilers defensive problems are?

Edited by JR Ewing

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

Gotcha. Maybe you can describe how good defensive teams play and what the Oilers defensive problems are?

A good defensive team are like Vegas they can win in the playoffs with just mediocre goaltending...they don't just load the majority of minutes to their top 2 lines...basically coached old style like Sutter/McClelland/Bowness/Brindamoure/etc man on man instead of zone defense...the Oilers biggest defensive problems are not having a top ten goalie in this league and by playing their best players which are only on their top 2 forward lines most of the game that leaves the majority of the Oilers game time vulnerable defensively which when they are scoring isn't as noticable anddoesn't matter as much but like when in the playoffs these weaknesses show more...the teams I mentioned above are more balanced with their minutes for the entire team and roll their lines for the most part instead of the majority of the minutes going to only half their team...plus I just think Skinner isn't good enough to be a number one goalie like Campbell wasn't...

@thegx.ca

A good defensive team are like Vegas they can win in the playoffs with just mediocre goaltending...they don't just load the majority of minutes to their top 2 lines...basically coached old style like Sutter/McClelland/Bowness/Brindamoure/etc man on man instead of zone defense...

So, the quality of defense is much more about a style of structure being played rather than the effectiveness of that structure? Why would you care HOW chances are reduced, as long as that they ARE reduced? I'll tell you one thing for sure: NHL coaches couldn't care less.

Similarly, it would likely pain you, then, to learn that the Golden Knights employ a zone defense. In fact, in their win over the Oilers last playoffs, it was written about to no end how the Vegas was consistently exposing the Oilers man-to-man defense.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/the-vegas-golden-knights-may-have-revolutionized-defensive-structure-164652469.html

Jim Montgomery on zone/vs man-to-man: "A lot of teams are going to this. You’re seeing it more and more in the league. We protect areas: we care more about where shots come from and what we give up. Typically, if you look at the analytics, it rewards teams that play that way, in quality scoring chances against.”

Was Montomgery right? Can we tell if it helped in Edmonton? Here are the Oilers numbers posted from last season, using a man-to-man, and this year since switching to zone defense:

image.png

They went from middling defensive numbers at their very best, to posting numbers right at the top of the league. The point of playing defense is to lower the number and quality of chances your team surrenders; not to play a certain style.

the Oilers biggest defensive problems are not having a top ten goalie in this league

I almost feel silly pointing this out, but goaltending and defense aren't the same thing. A team plays defense to limit the number and quality of scoring chances their goaltender sees. The goalie stops what the defense allows.

and by playing their best players which are only on their top 2 forward lines most of the game that leaves the majority of the Oilers game time vulnerable defensively which when they are scoring isn't as noticable anddoesn't matter as much but like when in the playoffs these weaknesses show more...the teams I mentioned above are more balanced with their minutes for the entire team and roll their lines for the most part instead of the majority of the minutes going to only half their team...

Do the Oilers play their bottom six less than other teams? It takes a few minutes, but it's pretty easy to check out.

I took the top two teams in each division to see the average ice time of their bottom six to compare it to the Oilers this season. As it turns out, these teams use their bottom six for an average of 13:06 per night, but the number is really elevated because of the Golden Knights, who use those forwards for 16:30. The non-Vegas use of the bottom-six: 12:36 per night
The Oilers? 12:36

image.png

So, it turns out that the team you mention don't use their bottom-six any more than do the Oilers, but the Golden Knights definitely use their bottom-six much more than any other team in the league.

plus I just think Skinner isn't good enough to be a number one goalie like Campbell wasn't...

Jack Campbell has a SV% of .881 and a Quality Start% of 30% the last couple of years, resulting in his banishment to the American League. Skinner's numbers are .909 and 61%. They're obviously not comparable players.  Would I like the Oilers to get a bonafide #1 with a track record in this league? Jeez, of course. Did Skinner recover enough to not force their hand in a grotesque over-payment for something like that? Yes, that's clear.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

@thegx.ca

So, the quality of defense is much more about a style of structure being played rather than the effectiveness of that structure? Why would you care HOW chances are reduced, as long as that they ARE reduced? I'll tell you one thing for sure: NHL coaches couldn't care less.

Similarly, it would likely pain you, then, to learn that the Golden Knights employ a zone defense. In fact, in their win over the Oilers last playoffs, it was written about to no end how the Vegas was consistently exposing the Oilers man-to-man defense.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/the-vegas-golden-knights-may-have-revolutionized-defensive-structure-164652469.html

Jim Montgomery on zone/vs man-to-man: "A lot of teams are going to this. You’re seeing it more and more in the league. We protect areas: we care more about where shots come from and what we give up. Typically, if you look at the analytics, it rewards teams that play that way, in quality scoring chances against.”

Was Montomgery right? Can we tell if it helped in Edmonton? Here are the Oilers numbers posted from last season, using a man-to-man, and this year since switching to zone defense:

image.png

They went from middling defensive numbers at their very best, to posting numbers right at the top of the league. The point of playing defense is to lower the number and quality of chances your team surrenders; not to play a certain style.

I almost feel silly pointing this out, but goaltending and defense aren't the same thing. A team plays defense to limit the number and quality of scoring chances their goaltender sees. The goalie stops what the defense allows.

Do the Oilers play their bottom six less than other teams? It takes a few minutes, but it's pretty easy to check out.

I took the top two teams in each division to see the average ice time of their bottom six to compare it to the Oilers this season. As it turns out, these teams use their bottom six for an average of 13:06 per night, but the number is really elevated because of the Golden Knights, who use those forwards for 16:30. The non-Vegas use of the bottom-six: 12:36 per night

image.png

So, it turns out that the team you mention don't use their bottom-six any more than do the Oilers, but the Golden Knights definitely use their bottom-six much more than any other team in the league.

Jack Campbell has a SV% of .881 and a Quality Start% of 30% the last couple of years, resulting in his banishment to the American League. Skinner's numbers are .909 and 61%. They're obviously not comparable players.  Would I like the Oilers to get a bonafide #1 with a track record in this league? Jeez, of course. Did Skinner recover enough to not force their hand in a grotesque over-payment for something like that? Yes, that's clear.

I care less about stats and more about results...what I see is Edmonton Hall of Fame offence not being enough to win in playoffs...while more defensive minded teams are going further without Hall of Fame offensive production...Cup wins and playoff wins are what counts...maybe it'll be different for Edmonton this year but history is against them whereas teams that consistently win in the playoffs have history on their side...

10 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

@thegx.ca

image.png

image.png

Regarding your stats for the top 6 months versus bottom 6 minutes might be skewed for not accounting for special teams...in either event despite what the stats says just watching Oilers games it's pretty obvious they only play the other lines more when the games aren't on the line whereas when they are behind or it's a tight game the majority of the minutes go to their Hall of Famers...

14 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

@thegx.ca

image.png

image.png

As for the goalies Skinner is doing better now obviously but there are ups and downs year to year even Markstrom sucked last year and Shertirken not bet e good this year same with Ullmark but that doesn't mean Skinner is anywhere in the same class as them...time will tell if sticking with Skinner and this defence will make a difference or if it'll be the same unsuccessful playoffs of old - but I'm of the opinion it'll be the same playoffs failures of old...

I am in three fantasy leagues with most of these guys, I traded for Skinner in every single league about game ten for around fifty cents on the dollar. Edmonton always starts slow than catches fire. From a fantasy standpoint I love Skinner and it will get better. Ek'/ nurse/bouchard are damn good quality if someone wakes Holland up another will be added. I picked them to win the championship my mind has not been changed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thegx.ca said:

I care less about stats and more about results...what I see is Edmonton Hall of Fame offence not being enough to win in playoffs...while more defensive minded teams are going further without Hall of Fame offensive production...Cup wins and playoff wins are what counts...maybe it'll be different for Edmonton this year but history is against them whereas teams that consistently win in the playoffs have history on their side...

/slapsforehead

Which is why they switched their defensive structure from one which saw them giving up too many high quality chances in favour of one which concentrated on them becoming more defensive-minded, and which sees them now giving up the fewest high quality chances in the league... This doesn't comport to your "they can't play defense" argument.

19 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

@thegx.ca

image.png

image.png

And it doesn't pain me at all that Las Vegas used zone defence to beat Edmonton since chasing McJesus around the rink isn't a solution either so all you've proven is that zone defense works against the Oilers doesn't mean it shouldn't be man to man against other teams...bottom line is the teams I've mentioned are more defensive teams than Edmonton and that's why I think they'll do better in the playoffs...

8 minutes ago, thegx.ca said:

Regarding your stats for the top 6 months versus bottom 6 minutes might be skewed for not accounting for special teams...

The time on ice accounted for special teams.

in either event despite what the stats says just watching Oilers games it's pretty obvious they only play the other lines more when the games aren't on the line whereas when they are behind or it's a tight game the majority of the minutes go to their Hall of Famers...

Literally every team plays their best players when they're trailing.

3 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I am in three fantasy leagues with most of these guys, I traded for Skinner in every single league about game ten for around fifty cents on the dollar. Edmonton always starts slow than catches fire. From a fantasy standpoint I love Skinner and it will get better. Ek'/ nurse/bouchard are damn good quality if someone wakes Holland up another will be added. I picked them to win the championship my mind has not been changed. 

If Holland adds to their defence like he did with Ekholm a defensive defensemen their chances obviously only go up...but I gotta say fantasy league has no bearing on real life haha don't you agree? I mean I've been watching hockey and playing fantasy leagues my whole life and even in a lifetime fantasy league and I never think that anything in fantasy will ever translate to championships in real life...out of all my years of existence it's almost a given that defence wins championships the exceptions being the Hall of Fame offenses of the Gretzky Oilers and Lemieux Penguins etc...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The time on ice accounted for special teams.

Literally every team plays their best players when they're trailing.

Not as much as Edmonton and ok if it's accounted for special teams that still doesn't change my mind because those stats don't match what I see every year...I mean is anyone taking your stats and concluding that Edmonton is just as defensively oriented team as any in the league?

@thegx.ca

I'll just respond to the last one I see because every couple of minutes I get a new pop-up informing me of three or four responses to just a single post of mine... Please, for the love of all that's good in this world, figure out how to break up quotes in a single post.

Not as much as Edmonton and ok if it's accounted for special teams that still doesn't change my mind because those stats don't match what I see every year...I mean is anyone taking your stats and concluding that Edmonton is just as defensively oriented team as any in the league?

A quick search for "oilers improved defensive play" shows numerous non-Oiler articles regarding this since the coaching change and the focus on improving defensively. I don't suspect that will make much of a difference. You started today by talking about how the best way to play defense is man-to-man like the Golden Knights and whiffed on that one when it became inconvenient, and just sort of casually brush aside literally anything that doesn't jibe with your view of "Edmonton can't play defense".

Around this site, I've famously put the Oilers and their management on blast for their failures, so have definitely earned the right to point out when they do something right and not be called an unfairly biased fan.

Out of interest of not answering multiple responses for any single post of mine, I'll bow out for now. Have a good one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

These guys are UFA who will be moved at or near the deadline. 

Zaitsev

Hanifin if not resigned

Tanev

Lyinushkin

Bean

Edmundson

Edmonton is sorely lacking cap space but where there is a Will there is a way. Any of these guys healthy and playing second line would make them even deeper.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

@thegx.ca

I'll just respond to the last one I see because every couple of minutes I get a new pop-up informing me of three or four responses to just a single post of mine... Please, for the love of all that's good in this world, figure out how to break up quotes in a single post.

A quick search for "oilers improved defensive play" shows numerous non-Oiler articles regarding this since the coaching change and the focus on improving defensively. I don't suspect that will make much of a difference. You started today by talking about how the best way to play defense is man-to-man like the Golden Knights and whiffed on that one when it became inconvenient, and just sort of casually brush aside literally anything that doesn't jibe with your view of "Edmonton can't play defense".

Around this site, I've famously put the Oilers and their management on blast for their failures, so have definitely earned the right to point out when they do something right and not be called an unfairly biased fan.

Out of interest of not answering multiple responses for any single post of mine, I'll bow out for now. Have a good one.

Ok...if reading multiple posts is too onerous for you then yeah by all means I'll try to put it all into one post but seems odd that reading multiple posts would cause problems since we are on a posting forum afterall...

As for your nit picking my posts and trying to pigeon hole me into Oilers can't play defense I really don't know how you got that from my posts...all I'm saying is other teams are better defensively than the Oilers and I think it's because of coaching/goaltending/defencemen...you are just trying to twist that into something more specific to fit your stats explain everything narrative...bottom line is nobody thinks the Oilers don't have goalie defensive issues but you so we'll just have to agree to disagree on that...

And as for the so called wiff about man to man vs zone coverage I never said it's the be all end all so read or quote my posts better...we all know that nobody here is an NHL coach and you might be an NHL statistical analysis but that still doesn't mean the Oilers are fine defensively or in net...time will tell and like I said before results is what I care about so when the Oilers win the Cup we'll debate again whether it was more because of offence or defence or goaltending etc...

Until then history has shown the Oilers haven't won enough in the playoffs for reason you and I disagree on...nothing matters much until that changes...

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Zaitsev

Hanifin if not resigned

Tanev

Lyinushkin

Bean

Edmundson

Edmonton is sorely lacking cap space but where there is a Will there is a way. Any of these guys healthy and playing second line would make them even deeper.

If my choice and no cap I'd take Tanev and Hanifin not just because I'm a Flames fan but because they are the best out of that bunch for playoff purposes(defense)...adding Tanev and Hannifin to the Oilers would almost make them perfect in my opinion...if they could also add a goalie like Markstrom/Demko/Brobovski that would make it perfect in my opinion meaning only an all star team(Olympic) team would be better...

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Not sure how to erase quotes after accidently pressing quote too much...

• Haha 1

Doesn't have to be defencemen either like if they somehow added a RNH like player like Backland or Granlund or Coleman etc that'd be awesome too then their 3rd line would be meaningful and the team overall more deep...even a Yanni Gourde or Jarkrock would be awesome...but obviously only Grandlund is a possibility which still would be a huge addition...even a Trevor Lewis to play with Derek Ryan is a significant improvement to me...

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 4:44 PM, yave1964 said:

Zaitsev

Hanifin if not resigned

Tanev

Lyinushkin

Bean

Edmundson

They got Corey Perry for league minimum that's good news for Edmonton and bad news for everyone else haha good move just like signing Evander Kane back then👍👍

• Like 1