Malkin agrees to Magnitogorsk contract during lockout

Guest Penguins-66

The fact that so many players are now making these kinds of contingency plans sure doesn't give a warm and fuzzy vibe in terms of the season starting on time, does it? :mellow:

It's definately not sounding good DMH.

I've already come to the somber realization that they're probably not going to start the season on time. I'm at the point now where I'm just praying Malkin doesn't blow out a knee while playing in Russia.

Edited by Penguins-66

@DinahMoeHumm

@Penguins-66

Or maybe the players are doing it to show the owners they won't go broke by not playing like the last lockout. Part of the owners' plans include the players feeling the financial crunch of a lockout and giving in because they haven't figured out how to save the millions they make and live reasonably off of it. Just a theory...

@Polaris922 The NHLPA has been warning the players for *years* to save their money for this coming Sept....not that helps much, you know, the ol' the more you make, the more you spend theory is sooooo true! If they are short on cash, they have nobody to blame but themselves, they have been warned. You can bet no bank will foreclose on an NHL players house during this crap, the NHLPA war chest has been built up to handle all emergencies. It's not like the owners are gonna be hurting either, but I betcha there are a few of them scrambling to pay the bills.

@jammer2, @Polaris922: It could very well be some sort of tactic on the players' part. It could also be the players scrambling to have income. But jammer is right, the NHLPA war chest has been built up to handle the emergencies. Either way, combine that with Fehr being the rep this time around and I think the owners are going to get much more of a fight than they anticipated. That certainly doesn't bode well for us, the fans, because this will probably drag on for awhile. But that's what we're dealing with now. I'll be interested to see if there is, in fact, a new offer put forth by the owners today. However, I'm still not very optimistic because whatever the offer is, assuming there is a new one, it will still probably see the two sides miles apart from a "starting grounds" for serious negotiation. Bettman and the owners seem much more interested in a fight (as mentioned in an article someone else posted) than they do serious negotiation. Time will tell...