Simmonds Signs In Germany

Irishjim

http://fnseanc.typep...ba932970b-800wi

According to Andy Strickland, Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds has signed with Eispiraten Crimmitschau GmbH of Germany's second division, also known as Bundesleague of Germany. Blues forward Chris Stewart and him signed together. They both leave for Germany tonight. Simmonds is the fourth Flyer to head overseas so far this lockout joining Fedotenko, Voracek, and Bryzgalov.

Metzler made an interesting comment in his blog today, that Simmonds is playing in Germany with his friend Stewert, and that he isn't playing for the money, which isn't that much.

So I'm beginning to think that the mass exodus to Europe is really to put pressure on the NHL owners. Having the NHL stars play in the other leagues has to improve their ticket sales. Thus European teams may compete for NHL FAs in the future.

• Like 1

@hf101

I don't know if players are doing this to put pressure on the owners. I think they are doing it to stay in shape as there aren't many options for them here. As long as their risk is covered (via a team covering insurance) I think most players will jump on opportunities overseas.

• Like 2

@hf101

I think they are doing it to stay in shape as there aren't many options for them here. As long as their risk is covered (via a team covering insurance) I think most players will jump on opportunities overseas.

I can agree with that, especially those without family obligations. I think most of the players are viewing this as a short term opportunity. And in the process show the owners that their are jobs elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Simmons and Chris Stewart will be leaving the German club he's been playing for on Monday for an unidentified Czech Extraliga team according to Bill Metzler.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Simmonds-Leaving-Germany-Saturday-Reports-Sunday-Games/45/47151

Simmonds and Stewart are on 30-day contracts with Eispiraten. The players wanted to play together on the same club, which is why they accepted the arrangement with the minor-league German club. The contracts, signed on Sept. 24, will expire later this week. However, after a game tomorrow, the team does not play again until Friday.

According to the team’s press release, the club attempted to convince Simmonds and Stewart to prolong their stint with the team but the two players said they’d like to travel to play elsewhere in Europe. The team said that having the two NHL players on hand is an “absolute highlight” of its club history, and praised both players for their work ethic and skill.

Simmonds, who scored two goals in the team’s last game, has three goals, 10 points and 35 penalty minutes in eight games with the Ice Pirates. Stewart has four goals and 10 points in that span.