Leafnutt

I'm an old school hockey fan who doesn't want to see hockey fights completely eliminated. I do think that one way to cut down on the number of fights in the league (and the injuries that may result) would be to make it a rule that anyone involved must remove protective helmets before throwing a punch. Anyone who gets involved without removing their lids would be subject to a game misconduct and a 5 minute major.

Combatants will think twice before starting a confrontation. A good example was seen by anyone watching todays game between Buffalo and Philadelphia. Scott Hartnell and Drew Stafford dropped the gloves, sticks AND helmets before getting down to business. Great fight and fair. I believe this will help cut down the number of fights and serious hand injuries from punching helmets and face shields. Any thoughts out there?

@Leafnutt

Welcome HockeyForums!

I do think that one way to cut down on the number of fights in the league (and the injuries that may result) would be to make it a rule that anyone involved must remove protective helmets before throwing a punch. Anyone who gets involved without removing their lids would be subject to a game misconduct and a 5 minute major.

I disagree though on the removal of helmets before a fight, I wouldn't make it mandatory. Most serious head injuries from fights occur when a helmet less player hits their head on the ice from awkwardly losing their balance or from being knocked out.

I do think that the number of fights will continue to decrease throughout the leagues since fighting has been limited in the youth leagues.