Is Lavy at Risk; If So, When?

Howie58

Greetings:

I'll begin by saying that a coaching change will probably not do much given the assembled talent. But some might say a disciplinarian is in order. Is Lavy on the hot seat? If so...another few losses? Mid-point?

Best,

Howie

Howie

I think you raise to interesting points.

1. The assembled talent has been misjudged and poorly assembled by Gomer. We lack grit and toughness. And, every time I post that we need more toughness, someone replies, "We don't need more goons." Adding toughness and grit does not mean we have to add goons who can't play. The presently constructed lineup loses too many battles in front and along the boards which is why we have trouble winning close games.
  2. Lavy's "system" is easily defeated by teams who are disciplined in their own zone. Furthermore, he has shown zero ability to adjust to the talent he has and the team's defensive zone play is eerily reminiscent of the keystone cops.

In my opinion, Gomer and Lavy need to go. It's time to rebuild and develop a winning nucleus.

• Like 1

@Howie58

i'm having a hard time figuring out where the problems lie, the team is down some players due to injury, simmonds is now out, hartnell has been out that's 1/3 of your top 6 forwards and your two most rugged wingers, hartnell's injury caused a shuffling of lines that no one seems to have gotten used to and now with simmonds gone they get shuffled again. plus those guys are two of our more prototypical flyers players in that they are rugged but have some skill.

i don't see a team that is losing puck battles along the boards, like @caluso does, i see a team that cannot accept a pass on their backhand at all, a team that cannot make a decent outlet pass and is easy to play against because they are tentative.

luke schenn's bad play on the back hand off a draw that lead directly to the gw goal is to me symptomatic of this team, every player has been playing like that this year.

we're not good , from soup to nuts, if someone were to be the scapegoat it should be the gm, he blew it with carle and jagr, and your hockey team doesn't get better replacing them with gervais and fedotenko.

the passing and lack of crispness can be blamed on the players and the coach, i would hope that the team doesn't get blown up by this management team, i would hope they get replaced and the new regiem does the rebuild, i think there are talented players on the roster and guys that will pay a price to make a hockey play so i'm in favor of a gm coming in and rebuilding the defensive corps, and a coach that will make the players work on areas that need improvement, right now if i'm Laviollette i don't know if i would know where to start , the job of getting this team to improve looks overwhelming. but i think i'd start with bantam passing , and cross over skating drills and go from there.

all that to say, i think no one is safe the team is a mess through bad luck and mismanagement.

@Howie58

i'm having a hard time figuring out where the problems lie, the team is down some players due to injury, simmonds is now out, hartnell has been out that's 1/3 of your top 6 forwards and your two most rugged wingers, hartnell's injury caused a shuffling of lines that no one seems to have gotten used to and now with simmonds gone they get shuffled again. plus those guys are two of our more prototypical flyers players in that they are rugged but have some skill.

i don't see a team that is losing puck battles along the boards, like @caluso does, i see a team that cannot accept a pass on their backhand at all, a team that cannot make a decent outlet pass and is easy to play against because they are tentative.

luke schenn's bad play on the back hand off a draw that lead directly to the gw goal is to me symptomatic of this team, every player has been playing like that this year.

we're not good , from soup to nuts, if someone were to be the scapegoat it should be the gm, he blew it with carle and jagr, and your hockey team doesn't get better replacing them with gervais and fedotenko.

the passing and lack of crispness can be blamed on the players and the coach, i would hope that the team doesn't get blown up by this management team, i would hope they get replaced and the new regiem does the rebuild, i think there are talented players on the roster and guys that will pay a price to make a hockey play so i'm in favor of a gm coming in and rebuilding the defensive corps, and a coach that will make the players work on areas that need improvement, right now if i'm Laviollette i don't know if i would know where to start , the job of getting this team to improve looks overwhelming. but i think i'd start with bantam passing , and cross over skating drills and go from there.

all that to say, i think no one is safe the team is a mess through bad luck and mismanagement.

I agree with what you say. And I'd add the following. Dumping either or both Lavy and Homer would mean little if we bring in people from the organization. We need outsiders with the proverbial fresh set of eyes. Recycling Murphy or promoting an Asst. GM will perpetuate the problems, not solve them.

Best,

Howie

I agree with what you say. And I'd add the following. Dumping either or both Lavy and Homer would mean little if we bring in people from the organization. We need outsiders with the proverbial fresh set of eyes. Recycling Murphy or promoting an Asst. GM will perpetuate the problems, not solve them.

Best,

Howie

Howie:

I agree with everything that you and Mojo say.

I do not think it is Laviolette as much as the result of GM moves or lack thereof, and a perfect storm of injuries.

BOI