Jump to content

Phantoms game suspended......


Recommended Posts

The Adirondack Phantoms' game against the Springfield Falcons was postponed on Sunday after a Springfield player was seriously injured.

Wade MacLeod of the Falcons was taken to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield after he was hit during the second period, according to a new release from the Falcons. He was "stable and alert" after suffering a seizure, the team said.

The Phantoms' Brandon Manning was given a two-minute minor penalty for boarding on the play

The game was initially delayed after the injury took place during the second period and the teams were sent to their dressing rooms. Later, the remainder of the game was postponed. Both coaches and the officials agreed to resume the game at a later date.


Link to comment
Share on other sites


I agree from this angle it doesn't look that bad. One has to wonder how this affects Manning going forward. Jones was never the same after injuring Bergeron.

Manning's tweet:

"I would like to give my best to Wade MacLeod and his family. never had any intention of ever hurting another player.."

Link to comment
Share on other sites


from Puck Daddy:

Manning hit MacLeod, a Northeastern alumnus, into the glass in the Falcons’ defensive end. Nearly half a minute passed before MacLeod skated to the benches and collapsed onto the ice, suffering convulsions. He was quickly stretchered off the ice by arena medical staff and placed into an ambulance.

Sounds as if he was dazed from the hit as he tried to get himself to the bench.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is today's update.


SPRINGFIELD – With his parents and girlfriend at his side, Wade MacLeod of the Springfield Falcons was resting comfortably Monday at Baystate Medical Center.

He continues to undergo observation and tests following his collapse late in the second period of Sunday’s American Hockey League game at the MassMutual Center. No official diagnosis of his injury and its cause will be forthcoming until later in the week.

“Wade is resting, and feeling a lot better. He was alert all night, and he has a good appetite. His doctors and the hospital staff have been fantastic in their care,” said his stepfather, Garth Essery of Campbellville, Ontario.

MacLeod declined to be interviewed, but did send word through his stepdad that he wanted to thank his teammates and Falcons fans for their concern.

“There has been an impressive outpouring of support through the social media, and Wade is very appreciative of it. He thanks everybody for thinking of him,” Essery said.

In Sunday afternoon’s American Hockey League game at the MassMutual Center, MacLeod took a hit from Adirondack Phantoms defenseman Brandon Manning, who was whistled for a boarding penalty.

As MacLeod headed back to the Springfield bench, he collapsed on the ice.

Falcons management indicated that MacLeod, a 26-year-old right wing, had suffered a seizure. After he was taken to the hospital, players and coaches of both teams agreed that the game should be postponed.

“It did not look like that bad of a hit. He sort of got rubbed along the board, a part of hockey. It didn’t look like there was any intent to injure,” Essery said.

He and his wife, Colleen MacLeod Essery, came to Springfield for the weekend from their home in Campbellville to watch their son play.

“This is a tough situation for us, but as hockey parents we know these things can happen. It turned out to be a difficult time, but the good thing is, we were here for him. I’ve known Wade and rooted for him since he was 16 years old. He’s never had any injury like this,” Essery said.

“He has been playing so well lately, and we’ve been wanting to get here and see him and his girlfriend (Karly Duncan). We picked this weekend because Springfield had three home games, and it was a holiday weekend, just like here. We have Family Day in Canada at this time.”

MacLeod's family fully supported the decision to postpone the game.

“The decision reflected the mood. At that point, nobody had the heart to continue. The players and coaches, on both teams, were concerned about Wade,” Essery said.

Naturally, questions arise as to what the future holds for MacLeod as a hockey player.

“Of course he’s hoping to continue with his dream (of playing in the National Hockey League), but right now, his health comes first,” his stepfather said.

MacLeod came to the Falcons in March of 2011, signing a pro contract after completing his career as a star for Northeastern in Hockey East. This season, he has four goals and six assists in 19 games after splitting his time between Springfield and Evansville of the ECHL.

Lately, MacLeod stepped up as an offensive force as the Falcons saw some of their players promoted to Columbus. At the time of his injury, he had a string going in which he posted at least one point in eight games.

As for MacLeod’s teammates and coaches, they had Monday off. They will get back to work Tuesday in preparation for another three-game weekend.

Bruce Landon, the team’s president/general manager, will need to find a player to fill MacLeod’s roster spot. Prior to Sunday’s game, the team did make two changes, adding defenseman Cody Goloubef, sent back to them from their Columbus parent club, and signing right wing Kent Vogelhuber. Landon indicated that more changes might be forthcoming after Monday night’s game for Columbus at Anaheim.

He’s also waiting to hear from AHL headquarters, and Adirondack club officials, before setting a makeup date for the Sunday postponement. One of the issues is, do the teams resume play at the point of postponement, with Adirondack leading 2-1, or do they replay the game from scratch?

“Nothing to report yet,” Landon said.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty scary situation. The video is poor quality but the hit doesn't look all that bad.

A bad hit. But it did not look all that bad as you said. The worst part of that is the numbers were square, but it did not seem like he hit him that hard (ie. Manning was not skating, just gave him a good push). 2m was the right call.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to be insensitive, but why was the game suspended?? I have seen allot of brutal injuries in hockey games, but the game was never "suspended". Even with Hawerchuk 's jugular cut, they still finished the game.

Have seen NHL games go on but games in the minors have been suspended before after serious injuries. Guess at that level it's up to the players and coaches the way the article reads. No millions at stake I suppose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to be insensitive, but why was the game suspended?? I have seen allot of brutal injuries in hockey games, but the game was never "suspended". Even with Hawerchuk 's jugular cut, they still finished the game.

Probably because the refs offered the choice to suspend the game, and both teams lacked the desire to continue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...