Where do we go from here? i.e. the "Is it Lavvy or maybe Homer?" thread.

Guest King Knut

So for whatever else we may want to say about them, it truly seems now that Richards and Carter weren't the motivation problem. Seems like the whiz kids have the same slacker mentality on the ice.

Okay that's harsh, but they seem to have the same trouble staying "up" for 60 minutes very similarly to the way the team did two seasons ago. Losing streaks at inopportune times. They seem to get down on themselves. They seem to stay down on themselves.

When do we stop blaming the likes of Giroux and Hartnell for not being awesome enough? When does it become a larger issue?

I don't know how we're not all blaming the coach after having seen the same style of play develop over two and a half drastic roster shifts.

I don't want it to be the coach. I want to think Lavvy's awesome. But I don't get much of a sense of urgency from him in his post game comments anymore. He doesn't really seem to give a **** lately.

What I will say is that the team is either super young or super old. Jake is playing great, but he's been around a little while and maybe finally getting over his (three year) sophomore slump. But the Schenns (who have each showed moments of brilliance and each... well not) Couturier, Read (injury exemption if you ask me) and others just aren't quite relaxed yet. Giroux is once again trying to figure out how to deal with being automaticall double teamed and the rest of the team is maybe just a little too old or hurt to play the way we need.

Or Do we blame Homer? The defense isn't good. It's not really an NHL defense. Too many injuries don't help things, but it wasn't solid coming in and I think we all knew that was the major flaw in Homer's off season. We lost Carle and we all know Pronger's done and nothing much was done to secure those holes except for Schenn who is probably another year away from being terribly reliable.

Does Lavvy just know the team is too young and incomplete to expect much from? Are they sensing that and just not expecting much from themselves?

Does everyone (including Homer) just not really give a crap about this season?

What gives?

Kind of where I was going with my thread earlier this week.

I would start with Homer and let the new GM bring in another coach if that's what he wants to do. I don't think I dump on Lavy just yet. I just don't think he has a complete team.

So for whatever else we may want to say about them, it truly seems now that Richards and Carter weren't the motivation problem. Seems like the whiz kids have the same slacker mentality on the ice.

Okay that's harsh, but they seem to have the same trouble staying "up" for 60 minutes very similarly to the way the team did two seasons ago. Losing streaks at inopportune times. They seem to get down on themselves. They seem to stay down on themselves.

When do we stop blaming the likes of Giroux and Hartnell for not being awesome enough? When does it become a larger issue?

I don't know how we're not all blaming the coach after having seen the same style of play develop over two and a half drastic roster shifts.

I don't want it to be the coach. I want to think Lavvy's awesome. But I don't get much of a sense of urgency from him in his post game comments anymore. He doesn't really seem to give a **** lately.

What I will say is that the team is either super young or super old. Jake is playing great, but he's been around a little while and maybe finally getting over his (three year) sophomore slump. But the Schenns (who have each showed moments of brilliance and each... well not) Couturier, Read (injury exemption if you ask me) and others just aren't quite relaxed yet. Giroux is once again trying to figure out how to deal with being automaticall double teamed and the rest of the team is maybe just a little too old or hurt to play the way we need.

Or Do we blame Homer? The defense isn't good. It's not really an NHL defense. Too many injuries don't help things, but it wasn't solid coming in and I think we all knew that was the major flaw in Homer's off season. We lost Carle and we all know Pronger's done and nothing much was done to secure those holes except for Schenn who is probably another year away from being terribly reliable.

Does Lavvy just know the team is too young and incomplete to expect much from? Are they sensing that and just not expecting much from themselves?

Does everyone (including Homer) just not really give a crap about this season?

What gives?

King:

There is just something about the organization that I cannot put my finger on. The owner Snider wants to win every year. It puts the GM in a no-win situation. It is absurb. It forces him to make all-out, make or break decisions. Not in best interest of team. Last summer was a perfect example. And here we are now, just struggling to make the playoffs. The coach is frustrated because quite frankly, neither the GM nor the Senior VP, nor the President, nor the Owner at the top of this organzation are very good. Pretty positive outlook, eh?

BOI

The lackluster performance may be frustration from style:

My coach taught us that if you are pursuing the puck, you are chasing the play. You are forever playing catch-up, and if you are down it is a frustrating game of keep away.

Can't help but wonder if the lack of a style is truly hurting this team.

I look at the NJ series in last years playoff - how many times did they dump it in to the 3rd defenseman, only to have Brodeur play it out on his own. Got real frustrating real quick as a fan to watch the coach NOT adjust. Imagine being a player looking for answers.

I like Lavy, and have personally spoken with him - nice guy with a lot of passion. However, his approach to the game might just be completely wrong for this team (taking the high road here....).

The lackluster performance may be frustration from style:

My coach taught us that if you are pursuing the puck, you are chasing the play. You are forever playing catch-up, and if you are down it is a frustrating game of keep away.

Can't help but wonder if the lack of a style is truly hurting this team.

I look at the NJ series in last years playoff - how many times did they dump it in to the 3rd defenseman, only to have Brodeur play it out on his own. Got real frustrating real quick as a fan to watch the coach NOT adjust. Imagine being a player looking for answers.

I like Lavy, and have personally spoken with him - nice guy with a lot of passion. However, his approach to the game might just be completely wrong for this team (taking the high road here....).

Nice first post. You should stick around...

We lost Carle and we all know Pronger's done and nothing much was done to secure those holes except for Schenn who is probably another year away from being terribly reliable.

I think you mean "reliably terrible."