Pens Offseason Moves Going Forward

B21

Now that the Malkin deal is official and we have a cap number to work with, what should the Pens do next? As it stands right now, we have 9 forwards and 6 defenceman under contract plus Fleury and Vokoun. 17 total. Cap hit (based solely on salaries) is $55,798,334.

I'll assume that they bring back Bortuzzo with the mandatory 10% raise which brings the total to 18 players at $56,375,834. I'll also assume Letang gets dealt. Back to 17 players with a total cap hit of $52,625,834.

Kunitz / Crosby / ???

Neal / Malkin / Bennett

??? / Sutter / ???

Vitale / Glass / ???

Jokkinen

Martin / Orpik

Depres / Niskanen

Bortuzzo / Engelland

Fleury / Vokoun

So you have about $11,000,000 to spend and have to accout for what would come back in any Letang deal.

Take it from there (anyone) or...keep Letang....and take it from there.

My thoughts....

1 - Buyout Jokkinen. Not a reflection of him...but he just doesn't fit. And I can use that $2,100,000 elsewhere.

2 - Resign Dupuis. 4 years. $4,000,000 per.

3 - Resign Adams. 2 years. $750,000 per.

4 - Resign Cooke. 2 years. $2,000,000 per.

5 - Resign Jeffrey. 1 years. $632,500.

Coming back for Letang - I mentioned in another thread Stewart/Shattenkirk/1st from St. Louis. Maybe...too much. And doesn't work cap wise here.

So I'll throw out another....Letang to Columbus for Jack Johnson and 2 of their 3 1sts this year (too little?). That leaves us with...

Kunitz / Crosby / Dupuis

Neal / Malkin / Bennett

Cooke / Sutter / Jeffrey

Glass / Vitale / Adams

Martin / Orpik

Depres / Johnson

Bortuzzo / Niskanen

Engelland

Fleury

Letang

21 players. $62,515,477

Buying out Glass and finding 1-2 4th liners is also an option to be entertained.

I like your ideas. I'd like to keep Letang but if rumors are true he just wants too much. He hasn't said much, and I'm not sure that bodes well for the hometown discount idea.

I REALLY don't want Glass. And I don't think Jeffrey is worth anything either but I tolerate him better than Glass.

Next year is when the real crunch will come. After the 2013-2014 season, the Pens will have more money tied up in 6 players than the remaining 17. Better hope you can fill up on cheap young talent :)

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 1m

Based on next season's cap, that would leave $31.1M for the remaining 18 players to fill out a 23-man roster -- $1.72M each. #NHL #Pens

Next year is when the real crunch will come. After the 2013-2014 season, the Pens will have more money tied up in 6 players than the remaining 17. Better hope you can fill up on cheap young talent :)

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 1m

Based on next season's cap, that would leave $31.1M for the remaining 18 players to fill out a 23-man roster -- $1.72M each. #NHL #Pens

Ah - but if Shero follows GM B21's plan there will be about $24,000,000 (if you want to max out) to spend on 4-5 fowards, 5 defenceman and a back-up goalie (or just over $2,000,000 per player).

The only big UFA that will likely he resigned is Kunitz I/M/H/O.

Sutter ($2,066,667) and Depres ($840,000) will be RFA who would be brought back. Bortuzzo, too.

Engelland and Vitale will be UFA but can be brought back for well under $1,000,000. I think Oprik would not be resigned. Ditto Niskanen. In steps (hopefully) Poulliot, Dumoulin, Harrington and Maata. Maybe Kuhnhackl. Vokoun gets replaced with either Zatkoff or Hartzell. None of the aformention except for Poulliot ($1,300,000) making over $1,000,000.

Very early preview of the 2014-15 Pens...

Kunitz / Crosby / Dupuis

Neal / Malkin / Bennett

Cooke / Sutter / Kuhnhackl

Vitale / Adams / ???

Martin / J. Johnson (Or whoever they would have gotten back in the Letang deal)...

Depres / Poulliot

Bortuzzo / Dumoulin

Harrington / Maata

Pretty much the same squad in 2015-16, too with whoever distinguishes themselves among the young defencemen takin on larger roles (Martin's contract would be up).