Flames trade Tanguay to Avalanche

Calagry trades Alex Tanguay and Cory Sarich to Colorado for David Jones and Shane O'Brien.

"This trade adds needed size up front and grit on the back end while also allowing us to get younger." said Flames General Manager Jay Feaster in a statement. "We like the fact that Jones plays a north-south game, drives hard to the net, kills penalties and is a right hand shot. O'Brien is a hard guy to play against, knows how to get under the skin of the opposition and stands up for his teammates. We are pleased to add both of these players to our organization."

The deal sends the 33-year-old Tanguay back to the city where he started his career. Drafted by the Avalanche in first round (12th overall) in 1998, Tanguay played his first six seasons for Colorado before being traded to the Flames in June, 2006. Tanguay played two seasons in Calgary and had stops in Montreal and Tampa Bay before again signing as an unrestricted free agent with Calgary in July, 2010.

source

Seems like a good deal for both teams.

The Flames look to be planning on locking up the 2013-14 first pick in the draft before this years draft.

Iggie is long gone for a bag of beans

Kipper retired as he said he would and as the team said he wouldn't, leaving Joey Macdonald as the top goalie.

Tanguay is still a top six Sarich is no stu but is miles and miles ahead of Shane O'Brien who takes more dumb penalties than anyone in the game. David Jones is a Cy Young candidate every year, more goals than assists and ridiculously one dimensional. If he winds up on a line with with Glenncross they may need to put up a solid line down the ice from end to end and a no passing zone sign, because these two never pass the puck.

Brendan Shanahan said thanks but no thanks to giving up his job as dean of discipline to take over as the Flames director of Hockey operations. Somewhere in New York Shanny is still laughing at the prospect.

The saving grace is three first round picks but in a five top prospect draft, the Flames first pick is at number six. They offered all three picks to the Avalanche and were shot down, which started a conversation in which Jay Feaster made yet another poor deal, this time with rookie GM and Coach Sakic and Roy. Donating Tanguay and a serviceable Sarich for Jones who really is not that bad but is not Tanguay even at this stage and the worthlessly inept O'Brien.

Last year I picked the Hawks to storm the West. This year, already only five days after the end of the season I predict the Flames will be the worst in the West, by far and will battle for worst in all of hockey.

BTW my guess is this will be the landing spot for Bryzgolov if he can handle the cold weather.

Edited by yave1964

@yave1964 Agreed O'Brien is horrid. Even though he's not brutal or anything, seeing Joey McDonald as a #1 starter in this league, even in late June is hilarious. I'd love to see Bryz in Calgary, what a soap opera that would become!!!

• Like 1

@yave1964 Agreed O'Brien is horrid. Even though he's not brutal or anything, seeing Joey McDonald as a #1 starter in this league, even in late June is hilarious. I'd love to see Bryz in Calgary, what a soap opera that would become!!!

I love Joey Mac he is a battler who always gives it all and squeezes everything he can out of his talent and a couple of years ago he rescued the Wings when Howard went down and Conkin was terrible. He is a serviceable number two but the thought of him being a number one anywhere this side of the KHL is humorous.

Serious, Bryz has to wind up somewhere. I kind of see him as the new Khabibulin someone who can stick around for a decade as the starting goalie on a bad team.

God is Calgary going to be bad. Cammeleri wants out now but Feaster cannot get a phone call on him because of his six million dollar contract (one year left) and the only way anyone will take him is a team trying to get to the cap floor. Jones is a Glencross clone and one puck hog with no passing skill per team is enough. And moving to the new division with Vancouver, the Kings, Ducks, Sharks, the improving Oilers, no real softies in the division, while we aren't talking 1974-75 Capitals this is a team that a lot of fans will cover their heads with paper bags while watching.

Edited by yave1964