Turning over a new Leaf

yave1964

My take on the 2013-14 Toronto Maple Leafs.

If anyone ever needs to drop the puck, it is the Leafs.

What a horrible way to end a breakthrough season. The Leafs were relevant for the first time since pre the last strike/lockout/fan screwing, Randy Carlyle brought in his nasty type of old time hockey, the team led the league in fighting majors, by double digits and HALF the teams in the league had less than half the fights the Leafs did. They won with fear and intimidation just as the Ducks did in their heyday under Carlyle, Kadri and JVR had breakout seasons, the goaltending while not league best was not a weakness as in years past, Franson became top puck moving blue liner, the team was exciting and relevant.

Then came game 7. 3 goal lead in the third. 2 goal lead with less than 90 seconds to go. Phil Kessel this close to exercising the demons from the deal that sent him to Toronto. And then....well if you don't know by now you are not a hockey fan.

Graboski is gone, ripping the organization. Macarthur didn't throw roses on the way across Ontario to Ottawa. The Leafs are having cap problems trying to resign their remaining Restricted free agents. But in a huge offseason, building off of the solid year they had last year, they added:

Dave Bolland, a top winning checking center.

Resigning Tyler Bozak

And the cream of this years free agent crop and a perfect player for nasty Carlyle, David Clarkson.

Then adding best backup goalie in the game Jonathan Bernier for replaceable Matt Frattin finished things off.

So where are they now?

Joffrey Lupul missed all but 16 games and scored at over a point a game when he was in, so he is like an addition as well.

The top nine forwards include All Star Kessel, Lupul, Clarkson, Bozak, Bolland, Kadri, Kulemin and JVR. Dangerous bunch. A tough hitting blue line is led by Franson, Phaneuf and Gardiner who can all move the puck. Colton Orr as well as Fraser and Mclaren will fight anyone anytime anyplace and team toughnes is stressed, as is proven by the decision to allow Macarthur and Grabo go and replaced with the grittiness of Clarkson and Bolland.

Bernier will battle for playing time with Reimer, a healthy competition that should push both to be better.

Overall, I really like the club. I like Clarkson, even though I think he was a bit overrated and overpaid but hey, that is what you do in free agency.

I think they are a solid playoff team with a need to add another blueliner to take the next step, but they are spirited and fun to watch.

I agree I think they could be dangerous looking at the top 6 of JVR-Bozak-Kessel and Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson, thats one of the most solid top 6s in the league. Leafs outplayed Boston most of the series except for game one and parts of games throughout the series (never an entire game). The Leafs had a better if not equal head to head record against every other top 8 in the East. People can say what they want about the Leafs now, but they are no longer a pushover and I think a lot more playoff hockey for the buds is coming.

• Like 1

I agree I think they could be dangerous looking at the top 6 of JVR-Bozak-Kessel and Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson, thats one of the most solid top 6s in the league. Leafs outplayed Boston most of the series except for game one and parts of games throughout the series (never an entire game). The Leafs had a better if not equal head to head record against every other top 8 in the East. People can say what they want about the Leafs now, but they are no longer a pushover and I think a lot more playoff hockey for the buds is coming.

I think this club is a bit weak at center but I like the style a lot. fun club, got their feet wet in the playoffs last year and should be much better this year.
  • Like 2

Funny how the Leafs have become respectable again by going back to the style of the original owner Conn Smythe, notorious for his comment "if you can't beat them in the alley you can't beat them on the ice". Looks like lots more of the same coming our way in the new season.

• Like 1

Funny how the Leafs have become respectable again by going back to the style of the original owner Conn Smythe, notorious for his comment "if you can't beat them in the alley you can't beat them on the ice". Looks like lots more of the same coming our way in the new season.

Welcome to the forum and starting off with a Conn Smythe quote to boot!!

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about pressure!!  Young Toronto Maple Leaf goalie prospect Christopher Gibson has to make the Baby Leafs or get sent back to Finland to finish his mandatory army stint. All young men must serve at least 180 days in the military, before moving on into the working world, they do make however, make exceptions for youngsters playing pro hockey. He is attempting to out-duel Garret Sparks for the back up AHL job the Leafs have open. With the Syria situation worsening, I'm thinking the army in any European country is a little unsettling right now. He should be more than motivated. His life may depend on this goaltending skills, as odd as that sounds. Christopher is not to be confused with the Ducks young goalie stud John Gibson, who just may be the best young goalie out there, but effectively blocked by Jonas Hiller and rising star Victor Fasth.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/09/04/leafs-goalie-gets-army-pass-to-audition-for-farm-team/

• 2 weeks later...