Burke named President of Hockey Operations

Guest hf101

"I don't intend to be the spokesperson for the team," Burke said at the team's introductory news conference. "I intend to have a background role. I'm not the general manager of the Calgary Flames. Jay Feaster is. It's my pleasure and honour to be able to work with him."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=431209

For how long?  I'm expecting the title will be President of Hockey Operations and GM as Burke likes to be in control.

I actually think this is a good move for the Flames.  Burke really is responsible for the turn around for the Leafs.

.....  so will we see Phaneuf back in Calgary?

And the Canucks/Flames rivalry jumps to a new high. :)

Let's wait to see the Vegas odds for how long Feaster will remain in position, with Burke breathing down his neck.

I kind of wanted Burke to be the GM of an expansion/relocation team in Markham Ontario, personally, just to heat-up the Leafs' rivalry. :P

As long as he keeps his yap shut and tries to rebuild his tarnished reputation. He is way too hands on.

He is a great trader type, a fair to middling drafter, and is horrible when it comes to Free agents!

It is just a matter of time until Feaster is moved out.

• 2 weeks later...

@Rusty  Mr.Feaster, don't buy a new house in Calgary!

No Doubt. But Feaster has had a pretty big role in the rebuild. So hopefully he gets to stay around for that. He's definitely more interesting to hear talk on the tv then old Sutter was. I love Sutter, but tough to listen to talking about the business side of hockey.

@mattcoco35  Welcome!  I think Feaster's stubborn streak stopped the Flames from getting real value for Kipper and Iggy. If they pulled those trades a few years ago, the return would have been triple. He kept putting it off, trying in vain to get the Flames into the playoffs.....but he should have realized the lack of young depth in the org. The goal should be winning the cup, not making the playoffs, and Feaster put those plans on the back burner for an extra 5 years. Part of being a good GM is evaluating their depth in the AHL and the prospect pool, and Feaster failed to see the cupboard was bare. Tanguay was the second best Flame forward for how long?  A big clue lies right there.

Hey Jammer, All true no arguments here.

That being said, Mr Burke doesn't work quietly in the background! So we'll see how it plays out. I respect the guy and his work though.

He did mention that he'll leave the media up to Feaster (mostly) but if history is any indicator he'll find his way into the media spotlight sooner rather than later!

And thanks for having me.

UPDATE: A little interview with Feaster about this year. http://downloads.flames.nhl.com/podcasts/feaster_sept27.mp3

Edited by mattcoco35