The Bruins new behind the scenes show

Guest jammer2

Behind the B, the new show produced by the Bruins has some great behind the scenes stuff. Almost to good, I'm not sure Horton's agent liked being included in this production. There has to be a bit of trust there that the conversation is not being recorded, no? Anyways, their behind the scenes show is WAY better than the Flyers, showing in depth criticism of Segin and why he should be moved. This is the kind of stuff people wanna hear from this type of show! Take note Flyers, do it right, or don't do it at all!

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/watch-peter-chiarelli-bruins-staff-decision-deal-tyler-172048513--nhl.html

@jammer2

wow.  That ought to light a fire in Seguin this season.  But ya know, I don't know if I"m in favor of anyone's performance reviews put out in the public eye like this.  Seguin is 21, maybe part of the problem is the Bruins rushing him to the NHL.

@hf101  To the Bruins credit, they left out all the off ice stuff, it was only briefly mentioned by Cam Neely. I get what you are saying, it is kind of tacky to air that stuff for public consumption. They really aren't saying anything that has not been mentioned in every bar and watercooler in Boston. When you sign up to be a NHL player, you sign on to be a public figure, whose salary is indirectly payed by the season ticket holders of each team. Public scrutiny is part of the job. The question here of course is, did the Bruins cross the line as a management team in their criticism.

In a way, I believe the Bruins management team is coyly trying to tell the public why they gave up on such a promising part of their future. It's not like it's acceptable to air this kind of stuff in a press conference....but under the guise of a behind the scenes program, that is the perfect opportunity to explain themselves. When you add the on ice reasons with the well publicized off ice drinking, you get a real clear picture of why Boston did what they did, perhaps this was a convenient forum to properly explain themselves?

At least Boston's show has put forth a real effort to give fans the kind of stuff they really want to hear. The wishy washy Flyers version is nothing like this. I know one thing, if I was a Bruins fan, I'd be real interested to see what they do next....is that not the kind of response these teams would want when airing a behind the scene show?  

@jammer2

I agree, I just don't think I really "like" the concept of these one sided reality shows to this extent.  Yet at the same time, of course, I like learning what goes on.   I think the problem is the more people like them, more detail will be sought after.   The key really is defining where that line shouldn't be crossed.

I've never read a players contract, but I would expect there must be some language that protects them also.

Could you imagine Clarkie in one of these back in the day with Lindros?  We would all love it, but it still probably crosses the line of what should be kept within the office.

@hf101  "I've never read a players contract, but I would expect there must be some language that protects them also."

Not sure how that works. I would assume that being public figures, they are open to legitimate scrutiny. The line they can't cross is into their private lives...I think that's why the Bruins left out the drinking problem, cause it could be interpreted as slander.....or at least leave them open to an ugly law suit.

When "Oil Change" came out, I felt bad to watch the boardroom stuff on the screen, and came away with a "Oh no... They're not very smart." impression. Then, I saw the Flyers thing the other month, and now this... Now, I don't feel so bad. It's great to now watch teams spew all of their rationale for trading off very very good young/incomplete players for not being great young players. It included such greatness as:

Scott Bradley: We made the right decisions with Raycroft and Kessel.

So? What the hell does that have to do with Tyler Seguin? For starters, the Raycroft trade didn't even require hindsight. It just needed a terrible GM (JFJ) to rip off. The Kessel trade? Seriously?

a) Kessel has done nothing but rip it up since he was traded to Toronto.

b) This can't be stressed enough. You can't use "We won the Kessel trade because we got Seguin out of the deal" if you're looking to run Seguin out of town and talk about how disappointing he is.

Other than that, it's the usual litany of "he doesn't play Bruins hockey", "he's doesn't play our style of game", etc.

Too bad for Seguin that the opposition didn't have the puck more often, so he could throw hits a second or two after the other guy passed it off. He'd probably be a Bruin still.

JR