Vintage Hockey Equipment

TretiakCCCP20

Just thought I'd create a thread about this. Everybody probably remembers the good old days where they use to wear Cooper and Jofa helmets and use Northland, Christian, Sher-Wood, and Koho sticks. My question to you guys is what did you wear when you played hockey? What do you miss about the equipment of the past and what do you like about the current equipment players use?

The link is obviously broken.

Me I still have my old Cooper Pads I used back in the 90's. I still have my Van Velden Mask. And I still have my two goalie sticks, can't remember what make they are but the pads and sticks are stored away in the garage, the mask is front and center of my man cave.

Oh and the signed Don Cherry Russian stick is bagged up and hidden in the garage as well!

And my sons first stick (Doug Gilmour model) is also stored away in the garage........

OMG Sher-Wood! I'd long forgotten my first hockey stick, un-painted, natural wood with just the name in black & red stripes...as a little kid, I used to practise with a rubber ball outside the house...haha.

Today's equipment? If I were to play, it would be in goal, & I'd like to use the new CCM Extreme Flex Pro pads designed for Carey Price's style as I'd play more of a 'reactive' style in net. 

http://ingoalmag.com/news/from-carey-price-to-ingoal-ccm-extreme-flex-pro-review/

I played with old WinnWell shin pads, foam Jofa shoulder pads, Cooper pants, gloves and SK600 helmet and Bauer Supreme 90 skates for the longest time. I used my old junior gloves to give more movement.

btw- this is my first post.

@hf101- thanks for the welcome!!!

Us original expansion fans need to stick together!!!!

Actually my original alliance is with the North Stars.  Thus I watched a lot of Blues games back in the day.   Moved to Philly and took a liking for the Flyers.  I still though have vested interest in the Wild.  

As far as what I miss about the old stuff, I miss the simplicity of the old shoulder pads. The pair I just bought are light weight. But I do like Coolmax and the silver thread in the newer stuff. I don't miss the heavy, water-logged and frankly difficult to break in gloves in the least. And I am very, very happy that the hard shoulder and elbow pads were banned- those things were freaking weapons!!! What was on the companies' minds putting carbon fibre on shoulder and elbow pads a few years back?

I also miss the old-skool CCM helmets and Jofa VM helmets (though I wouldn't want to take a slapper on the head in one!). I wish I had my old Northland helmet. But the new ones are much cooler and lighter.

@bunnyman I own an old red Cooper helmet that I wear with my gear when I skate out. Very comfortable, I'd like to get a Jofa VM helmet though. And yeah the gloves I have now are from the 70's and they are broken in pretty well thankfully. And thanks, I thought the avatar looked cool as well. Yours is pretty cool too, I love rabbits.

@bunnyman I own an old red Cooper helmet that I wear with my gear when I skate out. Very comfortable, I'd like to get a Jofa VM helmet though. And yeah the gloves I have now are from the 70's and they are broken in pretty well thankfully. And thanks, I thought the avatar looked cool as well. Yours is pretty cool too, I love rabbits.

That's my Trix- 10 years old and still feisty!!!

VM's in anything less than great (not mint) condition are hard to find these days. The plastics are quite flimsy. It is rumoured Gretzky would use no fewer than ten lids per year. The cork in the top is an unusual touch on these lids. Mine was ragged after two years of stick and puck time and not one bit of contact! If you can find an NOS lid, that's your best bet. But you will pay for one.

Various Vintage gear.  Top right is a 2 piece (youth, 1950's circa I think) goalie chest protector and shoulder/arm protector.  The hockey pants have a series of wood dowels (8-10) as the thigh pads and cotton batting for other padding.  Elbow pads are leather with cotton batting as the padding.

post-112-0-15561800-1380999566_thumb.jpg