Colts win opener, Ekblad named captain.

flyercanuck

Barrie Colts started off the new OHL season with a bang in a 7-4 beating over the Saginaw Spirit last night at the Molson Center.

Getting key players back from NHL camps like Mitchell Theoret, Jake Dotchin, Zach Hall and  Mr. Highlight Reel Andreas Athanasiou paid immediate dividends as they combined for 8 points. I can see why London wanted no part of Athansiou :huh: , he may well lead the Colts in scoring this year. 16 year old mullet headed first round pick Matthew Kreis continued to impress with a goal and an assist. This kid has some nice hands.

To no real surprise Aaron Ekblad was named captain of the team.

6 game misconducts were handed out in the last 5 seconds of the game. :)

@flyercanuck  The OHL is not the same with this sad 10 fights till suspension rule. I understand the reason for doing it, and I don't think it was player safety, it was a way to compete with the NCAA and curtail some of the parents reservations. On one hand, I love emphasizing skill, that part is great, but when your 2 heavyweights have 7 or 8 fights under their belt, the chance for some of your young stars to get a cheap shot dramatically increases.  I know the Spits brought up goons for some division games, the theory being who cares if they get tagged with a fight, they are going right back down to Jr.B the very next night. Is this what the OHL really wants?

You already know my feelings about Branch. The guy has an obvious bias against my Colts and won't even show his face at the BMC, even during the finals last year. The guy is a gutless punk.

Last year he says he won't announce the winner of the 2014 Memorial Cup bid until after the Barrie/London finals...then tells London they won it just before the 7th game. Barrie has bid on it 5 times, NEVER hosted. On their playoff run last year he gave Barrie captain a 10 game suspension for a hit to the head...which replays show wasn't a hit to the head. Next round he lets Bulls Jordan Subban and another player (forget his name) take multiple cheap shots with impunity, yet suspends Camara for a similiar hit. Having his son be an assistant gm on Belleville had no effect on his calls right? He then turns a blind eye to London when they cheapshot Scheifele who was clearly the best player in the playoffs last year and he's out the 7th game. Then says it wasn't the cheapshot, but bad ice that knocked Scheifele out. LOL!