Why are we locking up this "core," again?

caluso

I know these guys are young and hope to improve, but what have they done to merit contract extensions. Let these guys EARN a raise / extension before they are given one. 

This team has played with so much inconsistency and apathy that there is clearly a problem in the locker room - and the "core" is a large part of it.

I know that Gomer has created cap chaos for himself but rewarding "potential" has doomed this team time and time again.

Edited by caluso

I know these guys are young and hope to improve, but what have they done to merit contract extensions. Let these guys EARN a raise / extension before they are given one. 

This team has played with so much inconsistency and apathy that there is clearly a problem in the locker room - and the "core" is a large part of it.

I know that Gomer has created cap chaos for himself but rewarding "potential" has doomed this team time and time again.

It's cause Danny Boy is still taking dumb penalties and Bryz still isn't stopping the easy ones....OH WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!

do you think it's a "problem" in the lockerroom, or just...nothing in the lockerroom?  watching last night, i kept thinking that there was just no...character to this team.  i mean, yes, there were defensive breakdowns, and the offense couldn't establish anything, but it really struck me that there was just no personality to what was going on.  it was like the flyers were that faceless "other" team in a hockey movie, the anonymous opposition that the credited cast members played against.  watching it, i couldn't decide if that is a matter of the coaching staff not instilling some identity on the squad, or if it is just a personnel thing, the roster itself is watered down and overall plain vanilla.  

a team's personality doesn't win or lose games by itself, but there is some backbone missing.  dunno what solves that.  i'm increasingly of the opinion that giroux really needs to be supporting cast for a while longer, he has just vanished as the face of the team.  the flip is that lecavalier looks like an increasingly good add, he is one of the only guys out there that looks alive.  i'm starting to think he and giroux need to flip spots on the roster, let giroux work in the shadows with the second line, give lecavalier the extra icetime.  revisit down the road, but claude looks lost right now.  if there were a diplomatic way to pull the C from him, that ought to happen as well.  he'll be fine in the long run, but last season and over all of two games this one, he seems in over his head.

• Like 1

do you think it's a "problem" in the lockerroom, or just...nothing in the lockerroom?  watching last night, i kept thinking that there was just no...character to this team.  i mean, yes, there were defensive breakdowns, and the offense couldn't establish anything, but it really struck me that there was just no personality to what was going on.  it was like the flyers were that faceless "other" team in a hockey movie, the anonymous opposition that the credited cast members played against.  watching it, i couldn't decide if that is a matter of the coaching staff not instilling some identity on the squad, or if it is just a personnel thing, the roster itself is watered down and overall plain vanilla.  

a team's personality doesn't win or lose games by itself, but there is some backbone missing.  dunno what solves that.  i'm increasingly of the opinion that giroux really needs to be supporting cast for a while longer, he has just vanished as the face of the team.  the flip is that lecavalier looks like an increasingly good add, he is one of the only guys out there that looks alive.  i'm starting to think he and giroux need to flip spots on the roster, let giroux work in the shadows with the second line, give lecavalier the extra icetime.  revisit down the road, but claude looks lost right now.  if there were a diplomatic way to pull the C from him, that ought to happen as well.  he'll be fine in the long run, but last season and over all of two games this one, he seems in over his head.

The back bone of this team left when Mike Richards was traded. Pronger you could say was a leader, but Richards went on the ice and threw that huge hit when it was needed, and scored the clutch goal when he had the puck.

The team has a lot of nice 2 way forwards (schenn, cooter, simmonds) but the only people that score in the clutch are giroux. I wouldn't even say voracek is clutch.

Richards and Briere always scored that big goal.

I just don't see the finishing skills in cooter, schenn & simmonds. I would trade Cooter for something while I could. No speed, no scoring skills.

• Like 1

a team's personality doesn't win or lose games by itself, but there is some backbone missing. dunno what solves that.

Time. Time solves that. Or else it reveals that the mix of players is too heavy with leader-types or follower-types and only an exceptional captain (Pronger/Messier-type) could bring it together. But I guess above all - it time is going to solve anything you have to have some stability in the roster. We keep adding big personality types every year and so we're back to Square One every season. Of course make trades, improve depth, replace aging players, etc. But bringing in strong personalities every summer has to stop. At some point Homer has to let the roster develop its character and it can't happen until the leaders and followers sort themselves out.

Last night - I blame Laviolette - it seemed they were completely overwhelmed by the situation, "Saturday night at the Bell Center." Taking a goal away because Furlat was in the wrong position didn't help ... spending the whole 1st (practically) on the PK didn't help... but that kind of officiating should've been expected, Lavy should've had them ready for it.