Trading block rumor mill

Guest Polaris922

So a few days ago Dreger tweeted that the Ducks were talking to several teams about acquiring a defenseman.  The Pens were one of those teams, and their interest was reportedly Niskanen.  It's been quiet since the initial comment... so the question I have for you is this... 

If you're in Shero's shoes...  and the Ducks came to you for a defenseman.... 

Who would you consider trading? . 

What would you want in return for him?  

Many thought that Nisky would be the odd man out with Scuds coming back. It may depend on the level of Dman that the ducks want.   Nisky fits the role of solid second pairing defenseman.    What about Orpik? His comtract is coming due, and I don't see the Pens giving him much if any of a raise.   I think he peaked two years ago, and the Pens may want to get what they can while he still has value.

Many thought that Nisky would be the odd man out with Scuds coming back. It may depend on the level of Dman that the ducks want. Nisky fits the role of solid second pairing defenseman. What about Orpik? His comtract is coming due, and I don't see the Pens giving him much if any of a raise. I think he peaked two years ago, and the Pens may want to get what they can while he still has value.

Orpik sure looked like his old self tonight. I seriously think he played hurt last season. He took a shot in a leg last year and left the ice. The rest of the season he was mediocre at best.

Orpik sure looked like his old self tonight. I seriously think he played hurt last season. He took a shot in a leg last year and left the ice. The rest of the season he was mediocre at best.

I thought as well last year, but he has just lost that consistency defensively and physical play.    His physicality is just not consistent.   Where is the Brooks Orpik that had that manly shift in the cup finals where he put down three different Wings on the same shift.  Defensively, the team is 4-1 and Brooks is the only regular defenseman with a minus next to his name.   

Sadly, I would not miss him if he were traded.   This would give Bort, Despres, and Matta a place to play.  I still think Matta will go back down before he loses his junior elligability, that may be the time that Despres comes back up from the Baby Pens.  I'm not sure what Lt. Dan's thinking is with Despres, I hope that sending him down after what I thought was a good year last year could stunt his confidence.

@nossagog

I think Orpik is valuable as a leader veteran type. Every now and again you still see flashes of that shift but not enough to make him off limits to the trade.

Agree. I think if we can see it, the Pens and other teams can see it, too...likely lowers his trade value.  I think Orpik's style will lead to an earlier and more rapid decline in his game...probably why no extension from the Pens. I still buy into the veteran leadership role and have no problem if they bring him back at the right price and right number of years but he's close to the point where it's time to cut back on his minutes...maybe even the occasional healthy scratch...to keep him as healthy and effective as possible.