The Leafs and their dead cap space

jammer2

Toronto is currently paying out 9.7 million for players not currently on the Leafs. Even worse, 5.4 million bucks are still on the cap for this year. 6 years after Darcy Tucker left Toronto, they are still paying out a cap hit for him, amazing when you think about it.

Interesting article here, and a lesson on how NOT to manage the cap....lol.

http://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-non-leafs-still-salary-cap-hits/

A list of players who the Leafs are paying for but not on the team. This article was written Sept 30, 2013....so I'm not sure why they list John-Michael Liles as a non Leaf...some of these players are being paid, but not on the actual cap hit.

• Ben Scrivens will be paid $63,776 in 2013-2014.
  • Matt Frattin will be paid $449,324 in 2013-2014.
  • Colby Armstrong will be paid $1-million in 2013-2014.
  • Darcy Tucker will be paid $1-million in 2013-2014.
  • Mike Komisarek will be paid nearly $1.2-million per season in 2013-2014 and 2014-2015.
  • Mikhail Grabovski will be paid nearly $1.8-million per season from 2013-2014 to 2020-2021.
  • John-Michael Liles will be paid $4.25-million per season in 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 and $2.75-million in 2015-2016.
  • - See more at: http://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-non-leafs-still-salary-cap-hits/#sthash.3yznmhsc.dpuf

Well, MLSE can do whatever they want with their own (our) money. The cap hit thing is what really matters, and that sucks. On top of that we also have another 3 games without Clarkson thanks to what passes for bravado in his head.

The cap situation is a bit messy particularly with Liles not playing. I like Liles and I think that, while overpaid, he can still be an effective NHLer so it sucks to see him in his current situation - although if I was Nonis/Carlyle, I wouldn't play him over Rielly at the moment either.

That said, I can't argue too much with the results thus far. It does, however, likely prevent the team from picking up a decent rental at the deadline should they be in a playoff position come deadline time.

Thankfully, a good chunk of that clears up this coming offseason so they should be okay, although by no means sitting pretty.