SABRES TRADE VANEK TO ISLANDERS FOR MOULSON, PICKS

ruxpin

@brelic

For whatever reason, I was under the impression that the Islanders were well-stocked with picks.   I guess having one per round might qualify (especially compared to the Flyers), but I actually thought that through trades, etc., that they must have additional picks.   According to that site, that's not the case.   So I REALLY don't think I get the Vanek trade at all, especially if they aren't able to extend him.

I don't really get it either.

The thinking must be that Vanek will have a double-pronged effect on the Islanders. One, he will produce at a higher rate than his career average because he's playing with Tavares, and two, Tavares will greatly benefit from having a gifted sniper on his line.

Mouslon performed well with Tavares, but will he do the same as Vanek when playing with his former scrubs? I doubt it. I think Moulson is a good player, but I'm not convinced he can be the leader among lesser players the way Vanek was.

Still, it's a lot to give up for a guy who will probably leave at the end of the season. And even if he doesn't, he's going to want $7-8M per year even at 30 years old.

I think Moulson is a good player, but I'm not convinced he can be the leader among lesser players the way Vanek was.

Completely agree with this.

I just think Buffalo flips Moulson for something at the deadline.   So I get this trade from Buffalo's standpoint.    I also think Vanek will be very good with Tavares.  I'm just left wondering "to what point?"  I just don't think Vanek is enough to get the Isles past the teams they need to get past in the playoffs, and then they lose Vanek to free agency (likely to Minny).   So, Moulson, 1st rounder, 2nd rounder for maybe one more playoff round?

Maybe they figure it's worth the extra money they'll get from the gate of an extra playoff round.   I don't know.  I just think if they don't sign/extend Vanek that this is a step back for the Isles after this season.

On the other hand, maybe the Islanders see an incredibly weak Metro division and think if things fall right they might be able to skate through.  So, for them, maybe this IS the year. 

Guess we'll see.