Dousing the Flames, thoughts on the Wings 4-3 win last night

yave1964

The Wings defeated the Flames 4-3 last night in Calgary, here are a few thoughts on the game.

Sean Monahan is proving that he deserves to play top six minutes in the NHL. He seems more confident than any rookie I have seen in a long time, self possessed hard to knock off his game. I saw Kronwall hit him a few times, Monahan just went about his business. I have heard the Sakic comparisons and I watched him on the ice, he looks to be for real.

Bertuzzi played a great game last night, came away with 2 assists.

Cleary played a great game as well, but came away with nothing because of two great saves by Joey Macdonald

Speaking of Joey Mac, Calgary is placing him on waivers today to recall Berra from Abbotsford. I love Joey, nobody has gotten more mileage with less talent than him, what he lacks in skill he makes up for in heart.  Hoping this is not the end of the road for him. If he had stuck to being a backup on a decent team instead of being thrust into a role as a half time starter on a bad team he might last longer. Think Brian Boucher.

Chad Billins of Ferris State has been called up by the Flames. A stud for the Calder Cup winning Grand Rapids Griffins last year Billins got caught in a numbers game and was released by the Wings and signed with Calgary as an UFA in the offseason. He will be making his debut in the NHL soon, replacing Captain Giordano in the lineup. I wish him well, an undrafted player, has worked his butt of to earn this shot.

Danny Dekeyser is playing big boy minutes with Ericsson out and looking great. A lot of what I said about Monahan as far as maturity level being beyond his years holds true here as well.

Franzen has the flu, missed the Vancouver game and played sparingly against the Flames. I didn't notice.

Something that I did not understand with the Flames, on both the goal by Tatar on a fluke bounce on a shot by Andersson and the goal by Abdelkader, the Flames defense collapsed to the net too early and did not contest the shot. Wings players all night were given an absurd amount of room to maneuver in the offensive zone. The Flames defenders seemed content to concede the play all the way to about ten feet from the net and let the Wings forwards move at will. I don't know if Calgary was hoping for better back checking from their forwards (which with few exceptions was non existent) or what but the Wings had WAY too much uncontested ice inside Calgary's zone.

Finally, Darren Helm is due back in the lineup tonight. To make room for his salary Ericsson has been placed on LTIR and the Monster has been IR'd as well. Hoping Helm is able to shake off the rust and play close to the level he used to, killing penalties, winning important draws, breakaways using his speed. Lots of hard work, hoping for the best.

Edited by yave1964

I was quite surprised the game was that close when flipping the channels last nite, Flames must have put up a fight. Monahan is so mature for his age it's almost scary, you can even tell it from his interviews...he's what, 18/19? So composed & carries himself well, even when speaking to the media. The rush of playing in the big league doesn't seem to have gotten to his head & it shows also on the ice. Who wouldn't love to have had that pick now? 

I had no idea they were placing Joey Mac on waivers, I thought he was doing very well for them, considering. I haven't watched every game. Damn, I really like that kid too! One of my fave players on the Flames. Didn't know Gus was on IR either, what a shame, hopefully not too serious or for too long. Love to watch him too.

I was quite surprised the game was that close when flipping the channels last nite, Flames must have put up a fight. Monahan is so mature for his age it's almost scary, you can even tell it from his interviews...he's what, 18/19? So composed & carries himself well, even when speaking to the media. The rush of playing in the big league doesn't seem to have gotten to his head & it shows also on the ice. Who wouldn't love to have had that pick now? 

I had no idea they were placing Joey Mac on waivers, I thought he was doing very well for them, considering. I haven't watched every game. Damn, I really like that kid too! One of my fave players on the Flames. Didn't know Gus was on IR either, what a shame, hopefully not too serious or for too long. Love to watch him too.

Gus is out with a 'neck injury' which in NHL talk means that he has agreed to go on IR to save the Wings cap space to activate Helm. Pure and simple. And the neck injury will miraculously heal itself the minute another player is injured or Howard needs a couple of days off......

Gus is out with a 'neck injury' which in NHL talk means that he has agreed to go on IR to save the Wings cap space to activate Helm. Pure and simple. And the neck injury will miraculously heal itself the minute another player is injured or Howard needs a couple of days off......

Ahh, gotcha!  ;)