Patrick Eaves Waived

WingNut722

The exodus continues.  Patrick Eaves was placed on waivers this afternoon to make room for the returning Jonathan Ericsson, who will undoubtedly start against the Washington Capitals tomorrow night.

In my opinion, Eaves has been dead weight, consuming 925,000 in cap space, but just not producing.  He's appeared in three games thus far, but has no points and is a minus-2.  Also on the bus to Grand Rapids is Jordin Tootoo.  This brings the Wings back down the 13 forwards, where they should be.

Ken Holland has been constantly trying to get these two guys traded, but has gotten no bites.  The hard decision had to be made.  At the very least, in the AHL, these guys get the opportunity to play every night.  

@WingNut722

I like Eaves and feel he in the right situation he could have helped the club, but the truth is we have Miller who is the same player but ten percent better.

My hope is with Tootoo and Eaves moving on frees us up to call up Gus who absolutely deserves to be here in atop nine if not  atop six role.

Good moves by Holland, parting ways with Eaves and Tootoo. A bit picky, but these moves should have been made last summer. I don't fault Holland for being loyal, but this cap space could have been used to secure the services of a useful quality player like Grabovski or someone similar. I always felt the Wings and Grabo would have been a perfect fit, he plays their system to a T....oh well.

Good moves by Holland, parting ways with Eaves and Tootoo. A bit picky, but these moves should have been made last summer. I don't fault Holland for being loyal, but this cap space could have been used to secure the services of a useful quality player like Grabovski or someone similar. I always felt the Wings and Grabo would have been a perfect fit, he plays their system to a T....oh well.

Grabo and Ribiero both were available and we chose local boy Weiss instead. I still am a big believer in Weiss, he missed most of last season and has not found his form but right now Grabo looks like one of the best bargains of the past summer....

@jammer2

Both Eaves and Tootoo presented decent trade bait and I know Holland was trying to shop them out, he just didn't get any takers.  Neither of them was worth using their second buyout, so he held them as long as he could.  Putting various guys on IR really helped in that it gave Holland a few extra weeks to pawn off the excess.  Now his hand has been forced, and he needed to just waive them.  I don't see a lot of fault in how he handled the situation.

I don't know much about Grabovski, but I for one didn't like the idea of getting Ribeiro.  He's way too expensive for the benefit he brings.  I'd have to agree with @yave1964 on this, in that Weiss was the preferred choice.  

@yave1964

Gus is a center, so the only way he'll get in is if the center opens up.  Helm is doing well in his return.  So we have solid lines with Datsyuk, Weiss, Helm, and Andersson.  Obviously Babcock sees better strength in Andersson that he does in Nyquist.  The enigmatic thing is that, instead of calling up Nyquist, Luke Glendenning has been suiting up.  There has to be a back story to this that we're not seeing....