Capital punishment thoughts on last nights 4-3 OT loss

yave1964

Another game another OT loss, this time to the Capitals 4-3 in Overtime.

Seven straight home losses.

Four straight games that have ended in overtime losses.

The Great 8, I have never heard his game described so well as it was by Mickey Redmond last night, he floats along fanning on shots, making poor decisions missing the net, shoting early, shooting late, and then WHAM when he rope a dopes you to sleep here comes the dagger. That is what happened with his goal in the third and then he was like a shark in the water.

Jimmy Howard made some big saves, so did Holtby but neither one were huge.

2 for 4 on the power play, I will take it!

A mule sighting. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come. Who am I kidding, go back to sleep Johan.

Tatar and Helm have an affinity, both are speed players who rush the net, Franzen at first choice seemed a strange player for the thirm man on the line but it makes some sense. Tatar and Helm rush the net pulling in the D and that allows Franzen room to operate as everyone else is collapsed in on goal by the time he crosses the blue line, and he has always known what to do when he has room.

The D was not bad. Dekeyser looked good and then at times bad nice goal but got turned around a few times  by the Caps skilled guys, losing to guys like Backstrom and Ovie is no shame.

Ericsson is back. Ahh, it is just so good to see him back here with Kronwall on the top pair. Of course Dekeyser was the big minute man with almost 27 minutes. Two nice helpers for Kindl, played very well.

Our top line, Datsyuk, Bertuzzi and Z were all three a -2. Between them they had 5 shots. Drew Miller had 6 shots by himself boys, shoot the damn puck!.

That's about it. Living on Island time tonight.

• Like 1

@yave1964  Didn't see any of the game, but I'm assuming Holtby had a good game, wow, seven straight home losses for the Wings?!?!  Unheard of...when is the last time that happened, I'm thinking the 80's before Stevie Y got there?

I'm trying to be patient with Bertuzzi in fantasy hockey, but this next game is his last chance to produce before he gets dropped. I'm thinking Babcock is close to breaking the trio up also. They started out strong, but have been ineffective the past 3 games.

Howard actually outplayed Holtby, stopping several rushes though neither goalie was spectacular. The Wings top line was ineffective and Ovie fanned on two open nets.

Holtby did make an amazing save when the game looked to be turning for the Wings, Tatar had the puck behind the net and came around for a wraparound shot, Holtby was out of position on the other side of the net, Tatar had a wide open half a net. SOMEHOW Holtby got his foot over and with no more than a TOE NAIL stopped the shot. They showed Tatar on the bench, Mickey was laughing because Tatar was shaking his head for nearly a full minute on the bench because of the ridiculous toe save.

Really though, both goalies gave up stoppable goals, Howard by being out of position and Holtby by simply guessing wrong. I haven't watched much of Holtby this year, only the third time this season and from what I have watched he is a gambler, not afraid to risk his skill against the other guys skill. A bit of Paddy Roy in his game.