Shawn Thornton

yave1964

Okay, so the hearing is today, and here is my prediction(which could be TOTALLY WHACK) and reasoning. I think that Shanny is going to post his video, and the suspension to Thorton will be around 20 games. :o  Pick up your jaw, because I don't think that he will serve that ammout. The following is my reasoning, synical as it may be. 

The NFL is in the process of damage control and large law suits due to concussions in the game.  The players are saying that issues were swept under the rug and not addressed in a timely manner that put them at risk, and later in life they are paying the price of NOT addressing thing like hits to the head and such. BIG dolllars are at stake for the league.

Same thing is now happening in the NHL.   Lawsuits are being brought by former players against the league.    The league needs to somehow "SHOW" that it acknowledges the problem and is tying to take steps to protect its players. On ice incidents are going to always happen, but he'll try to make the point that the league needs to rid itself of senseless acts that endanger players. So I think that Shanny is going to step up, and lower the boom with a big suspension to show that this is not acceptabe in the game because the NHL 'NEEDS" to protect its prime resouce, the players.

Step in NHLPA.  The Players association will step in and immediately protest the suspension based on the grounds of the collective bargaining agreement and the fact that Thorton has never been suspended in his NHL career. They'll point to other incidents in the NHL that have either not drawn suspensions, or much lighter ones, and state that it was all in the heat of the battle.  I don't think that it will get as far as going to an arbitration type hearing, but in the end, I think that the suspension will then be reduced to 5-10 games.  

Shanny and he NHL will throw up its hands and say, "Hey, we tried" and make it a point at every possible moment to show that they are concerened about concussions.  The NHLPA will say, "Hey we're here to protect ALL the players, which includes incidents like these".  Everyone will say that the did their jobs,

That's my Synical take.

very interesting spin I never thought about.  I have said 15-20 games.  So it is 4:30 pm.  What time was the hearing.  Thought we would have heard something by now.

very interesting spin I never thought about.  I have said 15-20 games.  So it is 4:30 pm.  What time was the hearing.  Thought we would have heard something by now.

I think the hearing started at high noon, probably will wait until this evening to announce