Shawn Thornton

yave1964

First off, while I hate thuggery for thuggery sake, I love a good rugged hockey player, Shawn Thornton has always in my mind fit that category. A fourth liner who can play who can kill penalties and plays the game hard, not afraid to mix it up.

Brooks orpik is not a little guy, six two, a couple hundred pounds more PIMs than games in his career, a solid skilled d-man not afraid of the rough stuff himself.

It started just moments into the game when Loui Eriksson was drilled by Orpik who is recovering from concussion symptoms on a breakout, and Eriksson left the ice. A few minutes later, Thornton attempted retribution against Orpik by trying to engage him in a fight. When Orpik declined an enraged Thornton was given a two minute roughing penalty.

A few minutes later a nice fight broke out between Deryk Engelland and Milan Lucic, which should have ended it all.

STILL IN THE FIRST James Neal drove a knee to the side of the head of a prone Brad Marchand, seemed to skate towards him to do so and drew a penalty. While play was stopped and Marchand tried to figure out where and who he was (Neal has a phone conference scheduled for the cheap shot) Thornton skated down ice and hunted out Orpik who was in a pile of bodies. Thornton grabbed Orpik who fell backwards to the ice, hitting his head and then Thornton hit him three times in the face.

A stretcher was called for, Orpik left the ice on it, and went to the hospital where he was thankfully treated and released flying home with his team. Thornton was called by the league and invited to a face to face with Shanny.

All of this in the first 11 minutes of the game.

First the Hit by Orpik on Eriksson looked late and cheap and to the head on a player who was concussed earlier this year and looked lost on the bench before leaving the game.

Second Thornton invited Orpik to engage, to 'answer the bell' for his hit on Eriksson. Orpik declined and Thornton drew a penalty for his efforts, enraging the Bruins.

Third, the fight between Engelland and Lucic should have ended it, Engelland 'answering the bell' for Orpik, Lucic standing up for the honor of his fallen teammate.

Fourth James Neal. Marchand was prone, knocked down and Neal skated towards him, making zero effort to get away from him and drove a cheap hit to his head with his knee. After the game Neal said "I mean, what do you want me to say? That I was trying to hit him?" Neal said. "No, I'm going by him, I don't get out of the way, like I said. I need to be more careful and I guess get my knee out of the way, but I'm not trying to hit him in the head or injure him or anything like that." BULL. Neal, a second offender deliberately skated forward from a good ten, fifteen feet away towards a lone prone player and hit him in the head with his knee. Second offense and IMHO should be suspension worthy.

Orpik Hit Eriksson, a hard IMHO late hit that at the least deserves to be looked at closely, and when Thornton tried to fight him for it, calling him out man to man chose not to fight. IMHO Orpik was responsible for much if not downright most of the stuff that happened in the period.

Thornton did what many players do, he singled out Orpik in a scrum hoping for retribution for the earlier hit and Orpik fell backwards hitting his head. Without removing his gloves Thornton punched him at least three times in the face while Orpik lay prone. Orpik fell hard but a lot less hard than a many players do nightly. It was a fluke thing in a lot of ways.

Thornton was contrite after, spoke to the press and apologized to Orpik, took the high road. He will face a suspension, heck he deserves one, my opinion is he will face more than he deserves, I think a couple of games tops is all he should get but in this day and age I would not be surprised if it was much longer. I also feel both Orpik and Neal deserve something for their parts in the game getting out of control early.

I wish Eriksson and Orpik well. Overall, one heck of a hockey game, both teams wanted it, the Penguins led until the final two minutes. Boston scored twice late to pull it out, Chara scoring the winner set up by Marchand. Great game. Thornton deserves something, but like I said Orpik and Neal do as well.

@yave1964

Nice post.  First of all, as you probably already know, many if not most Flyer fans hate Orpik and Neal (especially Neal), therefore it comes to no surprise how this incident all started. Neal is a dirty player period.  Orpik and Thornton do have a history.  I remember watching those 2 go at in back when they where both in the AHL. (I had season tickets to the Norfolk Admirals when I lived in Va. Beach before moving back to Lancaster) Orpik was with the WBS Baby Pens and Thornton with the Admirals.  Orpik was known as a dirty player in the AHL and there was a heated rivalry between the Ads and Baby Pens.  (many fans in the rather boisterous section I used to sit use to call him OrPRICK...with the emphasis on PRICK. 

Totally agree Thornton should get some time off, however, Neal and Orpik are by no means saints and if Shanny had any cajones, he would sit them for a period of time also.

PS  don't be surprise if you get a different spin from our resident Pens fans here......

@pilldoc

Thanks!!

I actually have always respected Orpik as a tough as nails stay at home d-man who knows his roie, I wish the Wings had him or one of his ilk instead of Quincey, lol.

The fact is Orpik destroyed Ericksson, it was sick seeing him on the bench, I am sure Thornton was enraged and then when he encountered Orpik he refused to show up and answer the bell and Thornton drew a roughing penalty while Orpik skated quickly away. What Thornton did was wrong and indefensible but if Orpik had acted like a man or if the refs had gotten the game under control it would have never came to this.

Yave I usually respect your views here, but not this time bud.  I've addressed it in the Oprik is the issue thread though.  and @pilldoc Orpik is the epitomy of a clean hitter.  Always on his skates, always bends the knees, never uses his body like a missile, just clean solid body checks.  This was no different.  Next time Giroux or Datsyuk throw a clean check, I'm sending Engelland after them.  Then call them pansies when they don't fight.   LOL   ;)

Edited by Polaris922

I think it is ironic that someone who ordinarily defends Kronwall (who also tends to not answer the bell when challenged on one of his hits) is going all out on Orpik.  It was actually very similar to a Kronwall hit.  And the refusal to fight afterward was also very Kronwallian.

I like Kronwall and rarely object to his hits and understand he's there to hit and not necessarily to fight, but I just find it ironic unless yave is actually trying to force people into that exact position.

(By the way, @Polaris922, now that I've put it in that context, I still think it's a head shot, but no way is it suspendable and good that there was no penalty)

@Polaris922@ruxpin

Agreed to a point, a very Kronwallian hit. Orpik lined up Eriksson and just flat out drilled him. A coulda woulda shoulda hit, frankly the hit was not what I had a problem with.

The problem I had is this thing brought out the bad blood that has been brewing for several years between these guys, who seem to really, really hate each other. It was not going away until Orpik answered the bell, and stood up for himself. I absolutely disagree with what Thornton did, no way no how can you justify that. However if Orpik had answered the challenge earlier it would have never gotten to that point.

It is kind of like Bertuzzi and Moore, Moore wanted no part of fighting Bert and ended up punched in the head rather than fight a guy out of his class (Bert wanted to even the score for a dirty hit Moore had laid on Naslund a few weeks previous) and it got out of hand. Don't do the crime (Real or perceived) if you cannot do the time

Same with McSorley and Brashear, Brashear was going around all night hitting everything, knocked the Bruins goalie out for the year, ect.... and didn't want any part of fighting McSorley and it got out of hand.

If it is coming just grin and bear it, turn and fight like a man and it will be over. Rux, Polaris you guys are two of my favorites in here, you both know that I just feel Orpik should have absolutely fought Thornton when the two of them were all alone man on man earlier in the period instead of running away. It would have ended it and the game would have gone on. By not doing so it created a situation of retribution where the inevitable ended with someone leaving on a stretcher, and Thornton, while committing a vile act was far from the only villain in this one. IMHO Orpik, not necessarily for the hit but for his refusing to answer for it made matters much, much worse. Thornton a tough SOB has never had a discipline hearing in his career and usually plays the game the right way. He was way out of line but so was Orpik.

And the refs, oh my God if they had called interference on Orpik or made it clear they were going to call the game tight and the players needed to walk a line or else it could have been handled a lot better. Instead they had the best seat oin the house for mayhem that they could have possibly prevented with a little forcefulness.

@Polaris922@ruxpin

Agreed to a point, a very Kronwallian hit. Orpik lined up Eriksson and just flat out drilled him. A coulda woulda shoulda hit, frankly the hit was not what I had a problem with.

The problem I had is this thing brought out the bad blood that has been brewing for several years between these guys, who seem to really, really hate each other. It was not going away until Orpik answered the bell, and stood up for himself. I absolutely disagree with what Thornton did, no way no how can you justify that. However if Orpik had answered the challenge earlier it would have never gotten to that point.

It is kind of like Bertuzzi and Moore, Moore wanted no part of fighting Bert and ended up punched in the head rather than fight a guy out of his class (Bert wanted to even the score for a dirty hit Moore had laid on Naslund a few weeks previous) and it got out of hand. Don't do the crime (Real or perceived) if you cannot do the time

Same with McSorley and Brashear, Brashear was going around all night hitting everything, knocked the Bruins goalie out for the year, ect.... and didn't want any part of fighting McSorley and it got out of hand.

If it is coming just grin and bear it, turn and fight like a man and it will be over. Rux, Polaris you guys are two of my favorites in here, you both know that I just feel Orpik should have absolutely fought Thornton when the two of them were all alone man on man earlier in the period instead of running away. It would have ended it and the game would have gone on. By not doing so it created a situation of retribution where the inevitable ended with someone leaving on a stretcher, and Thornton, while committing a vile act was far from the only villain in this one. IMHO Orpik, not necessarily for the hit but for his refusing to answer for it made matters much, much worse. Thornton a tough SOB has never had a discipline hearing in his career and usually plays the game the right way. He was way out of line but so was Orpik.

And the refs, oh my God if they had called interference on Orpik or made it clear they were going to call the game tight and the players needed to walk a line or else it could have been handled a lot better. Instead they had the best seat oin the house for mayhem that they could have possibly prevented with a little forcefulness.

First off... There is no bad blood between Thornton and Orpik. In fact they worked out together during the lockout.

Second... There was no interference so the refs calling anything would've been a travesty. Thornton should've had his big boy pants on and realized if the refs did miss something, the league would review it anyway.

Third... Orpik is no more responsible to answer for a clean hit than Datsyuk or Zetterberg. If he had a history if brawling then maybe I could see your point and say why not? But as it stands it would be like expecting Kessel to fight Scott, Datsyuk to fight Orr, and similar misapplication a of "the code".

Fourth... The true application of "the code" is if Orpik refuses the challenge (as he should), go after someone in your weight class that won't. Go drop em with Engelland and send your message that way. If you're so incensed and such a bad ass, what's stopping you?

Neither Orpik or the officiating crew did anything wrong here. They called Chara to try to cool tempers. They called Neal for his stupidity. The only responsibility for Thornton's assault lay with Thornton himself.

• Like 1

First off... There is no bad blood between Thornton and Orpik. In fact they worked out together during the lockout.

Second... There was no interference so the refs calling anything would've been a travesty. Thornton should've had his big boy pants on and realized if the refs did miss something, the league would review it anyway.

Third... Orpik is no more responsible to answer for a clean hit than Datsyuk or Zetterberg. If he had a history if brawling then maybe I could see your point and say why not? But as it stands it would be like expecting Kessel to fight Scott, Datsyuk to fight Orr, and similar misapplication a of "the code".

Fourth... The true application of "the code" is if Orpik refuses the challenge (as he should), go after someone in your weight class that won't. Go drop em with Engelland and send your message that way. If you're so incensed and such a bad ass, what's stopping you?

Neither Orpik or the officiating crew did anything wrong here. They called Chara to try to cool tempers. They called Neal for his stupidity. The only responsibility for Thornton's assault lay with Thornton himself.

Brooks has not been in a fight since 2009 and was not going to w bertuzzi er, um thorton no matter what. The only way Glass or England is fighting thorton now will be in next years first tilt Im guessing as Thortons 5 mins will not be needed in the playoffs. Neal's hit was wrong but it happend to a deserving guy(neal should get a game at least).

Brooks has not been in a fight since 2009 and was not going to w bertuzzi er, um thorton no matter what. The only way Glass or England is fighting thorton now will be in next years first tilt Im guessing as Thortons 5 mins will not be needed in the playoffs. Neal's hit was wrong but it happend to a deserving guy(neal should get a game at least).

Neal suspended for 5... Thornton pending. I'm thinking 20+ for assault.

Second... There was no interference so the refs calling anything would've been a travesty

It doesn't necessarily make them right and you wrong, but just wanted to point out that every single host and guest on NHL Home Ice today on every single show disagree and all insisted it was a good clean hit but was clearly interference and that had that been called correctly the rest probably doesn't happen.

Almost every one of them (I think there was an exception or two) thought the idea that Orpik had to fight Thornton was nonsensical

Neal suspended for 5... Thornton pending. I'm thinking 20+ for assault.

Last quote for the next five minutes or so, I promise.

I have two completely diametrically opposed thoughts on Thornton.   As an aside, real quickly, I'll be stunned if Thornton gets less than ten games.

But here are the two sides of my thinking:

1) While the optics and certainly the outcome were different if only in severity, I don't see a lot of difference between the Bertuzzi thing and this.  I'm not AT ALL defending Bertuzzi, but when you break that incident down, Bertuzzi skated up behind a guy and sucker punched him.    The damage we all remember was largely caused by the fall to the ice and 40 or 50 players (hyperbole) landing on top of him while he was already in trouble from the fall.   In the Thornton case, you have a guy coming up from behind and slew footing (added ingredient) and then sucker punching the guy a couple times on the ice.  So, on one side of my head I think they really are justified in using the Bertuzzi incident as the precedent and should likewise punish Thornton.  I haven't looked and could be wrong, but  I think that was Bertuzzi's first incident and he, too, was genuinely contrite afterward.    Again, on one hand, 20-25 games.

2)But the other side of me views the Neal thing as vastly worse.   This honestly is not an anti-Pens thing.  In fact, of the "victims" involved, I actually like Orpik (despite the fact that jeopardizes keeping my Flyers' fan card) and don't like Marchand at all.  If, jokingly, I would say anyone should be kicked in the head Marchand would be in the top 10.    I realize, even on this side of the brain, that this is the result of personal weighting of the offenses, but I don't think Thornton at all expected the outcome of his situation.  Not defending him in the slightest, but I imagine he was going to exact some revenge and threw the guy down and punched a few times.  I have to think Orpik was out early and Thornton didn't realize it right away (I don't know and it doesn't excuse it).  But you see people pulled from behind in piles and thrown down all the time.  The somewhat new ingredient, I think, was the couple hay makers. 

But in contrast, you have a guy with honestly plenty of time to change his direction or attempt to do something to avoid contact consciously make the decision to lead with his knee (with a knee pad designed to protect against a frozen rubber object shot at 80-100 mph) into the head of a guy (albeit a douche).  I think we're having an immensely different discussion and a much different penalty if Marchand doesn't get up or doesn't finish the game.  If he's injured there--as was clearly Neal's intent--it's at least a double digit suspension.

So because I think Neal's is a worse ACTION while not a worse outcome, I have a hard time (on this side of the brain) arguing for Thornton's punishment to be more than his.

I think the best that I can offer is that I think Thornton deserves Bertuzzi time.  I just think Neal deserves oh so much more than what he got.  

I was going to say that I hate that the league continues to punish based on outcome rather than action.   Because of that, I think Thornton will get less than Bertuzzi (Orpik is hurt but expected to play again, unlike Moore) and Neal only gets five games.    But then I realize it works that way in real life too, doesn't it?   If I stab you with a knife and  you survive, it's either assault with a deadly or attempted murder.   But if you die, then it's homicide and the penalty just significantly escalated. 

So, it is what it is.

my post from another thread which is more appropriate here:

Finally I get to put my 2 cents in.  I finally got around to watching all the video of the incidents that happened in the Pens / Bruins game. IMO Thornton will probably get at least 10-15 games, possibly up to 20.  My reasoning is as follows:

• When Thornton went after Orpik, it was after the Neal hit to Marchand. If Thornton was really concerned about his teammate, then he should have gone after Neal, who just kneed Marchand a couple of seconds ago.  That is not the time or place to go after Orpik.  What Thornton did IMO was completely premeditated.  The incident at hand called for him to go after Neal, not Orpik.
  • Thornton coming up to Orpik intially appears no different than what happens many times throughout the league when you have a gathering of players.....HOWEVER.....
  • After watching and re-watching the video replay, IMO, it appears that when Thornton grabs Orpik to pull him, it appears to me that Thornton took his right leg and tried to trip Orpik down to the ice.  That alone in my book is a cheap shot.
  • Then once Orpik is down on the ice, again, IMO it appears that Thornton purposely slams Orpiks head to the ice, along with more shots to Orpiks face.

I'm all for standing up for players and your teammates, however, what Thornton did was just plain goonery/thuggery/vicious..any other adverb you can find.  There is a time and place for everything and that was not the time or place.  Erikkson probably told Thornton to get Orpik, but at that time, Orpik was not immediate threat.  IMO, Thornton's actions were premeditated since he was hell bent on going after Orpik alone.  In summary, Thornton's actions were premeditated, it appears he tried to take the legs out from under Orpik and it appears that he purposely slams Orpiks head to the ice.  Therefore I believe the combination of these actions should be 10-15 games, 

Now for Neal.  He is no angel either and his actions are just as dangerous.  I personally would have given him 8-10 games.  After watching the video replay, IMO, Neal could have tried to have the opportunity to avoid Marchant but chose not to do so.  As Shanny stated on his video explanation, Neal turns his skate into Marchant which could be interpreted as a deliberate act.  Many players today when they see a player on the ice try to avoid that player as much s possible.  Even if Neal consciously did not intend to knee Marchant, it could be deemed careless in not trying to avoid him.

Neal's hit was bad.  Questionable as far as if he had intent or not.  Thornton's action's were worse.  I believe he had the premeditated intent in going after Orpik and making him pay for the earlier hit.   To Thornton's credit at least he admitted after the game that his action were out of line.

Anyway those are my thoughts.......

Edited by pilldoc

When Thornton went after Orpik, it was after the Neal hit to Marchand. If Thornton was really concerned about his teammate, then he should have gone after Neal, who just kneed Marchand a couple of seconds ago. That is not the time or place to go after Orpik. What Thornton did IMO was completely premeditated. The incident at hand called for him to go after Neal, not Orpik.

I get this on one hand, but Thornton had Orpik in the target scope from the time he hit Ericksson.  Marchand wasn't injured.  Ericksson was in Neverland for the second time this season (Looking at him on the bench, I don't think Ericksson knew who Thornton was at that point let alone told him whom to go after) so Thornton was ticked.  Not defending him--at all--just why I think he went for Orpik and not Neal.  Plus, Neal was already getting a penalty.  Orpik didn't.

The only think I can kind of equate it to was the Flyers wanting to kill Hossa back in 2004 (or whenever that was).  It probably wouldn't have mattered what else happened had the Flyers been able to get their hands on Mary Marion.

I get this on one hand, but Thornton had Orpik in the target scope from the time he hit Ericksson.  Marchand wasn't injured.  Ericksson was in Neverland for the second time this season (Looking at him on the bench, I don't think Ericksson knew who Thornton was at that point let alone told him whom to go after) so Thornton was ticked.  Not defending him--at all--just why I think he went for Orpik and not Neal.  Plus, Neal was already getting a penalty.  Orpik didn't.

The only think I can kind of equate it to was the Flyers wanting to kill Hossa back in 2004 (or whenever that was).  It probably wouldn't have mattered what else happened had the Flyers been able to get their hands on Mary Marion.

yeah you said it bit better than me.....but you get the point.  Thornton had one and only one target and his name had Orpik all over the name plate.  Hence that is why I said it was premeditated....

Agree...Ericksson was in la la land.

@ruxpin

@pilldoc

I get the thinking but here's the rebuttal...

Thornton may not have wanted to concuss Orpik, but premeditated the attack and DID concuss Orpik.

If intent matters then it should also apply to Neal, in that he didn't raise his leg and punt Marchand, just did a skate through. That tells me he may have just wanted to torture Marchand, not actually injure him.

The differences are premeditation on Thornton vs. target if opportunity on Neal. And injury on Orpik vs. no injury on Marchand.

Whether you intend to knock a guy out or not doesn't matter if you do it. If you punch a guy in a bar and he hits his head on the floor and dies, you're still guilty of his death and serving ten years or more in most cases, even if that wasn't your intention.

Thornton deserves 20+. Neal deserves his 5 and I hope somebody wakes him up. He's too good for this kind of garbage.

@ruxpin

@pilldoc

I get the thinking but here's the rebuttal...

Thornton may not have wanted to concuss Orpik, but premeditated the attack and DID concuss Orpik.

If intent matters then it should also apply to Neal, in that he didn't raise his leg and punt Marchand, just did a skate through. That tells me he may have just wanted to torture Marchand, not actually injure him.

The differences are premeditation on Thornton vs. target if opportunity on Neal. And injury on Orpik vs. no injury on Marchand.

Whether you intend to knock a guy out or not doesn't matter if you do it. If you punch a guy in a bar and he hits his head on the floor and dies, you're still guilty of his death and serving ten years or more in most cases, even if that wasn't your intention.

Thornton deserves 20+. Neal deserves his 5 and I hope somebody wakes him up. He's too good for this kind of garbage.

agree...you finished off what I was thinking......

so if I understand you right then Neal should have gotten more only if Marchant was injured.  Since he was not, he got a lesser sentence. 

After more thinking ...then Thornton in my opinion should get 15-20. I can't see him getting more than 20.  Maybe 25 at the most?

agree...you finished off what I was thinking......

so if I understand you right then Neal should have gotten more only if Marchant was injured. Since he was not, he got a lesser sentence.

After more thinking ...then Thornton in my opinion should get 15-20. I can't see him getting more than 20. Maybe 25 at the most?

It's just that if you are going to give the benefit of the doubt on intentions, and say neither man meant to injure their targets, just harass them, then yes injury matters.

You can't be serious?!?  Did you see Marchand's head snap when he got hit?  Neal got suspended because of his action.  Thornton will be suspended because of the outcome.  If Orpik doesn't get knocked out, Thornton doesn't get suspended.

You can't be serious?!? Did you see Marchand's head snap when he got hit? Neal got suspended because of his action. Thornton will be suspended because of the outcome. If Orpik doesn't get knocked out, Thornton doesn't get suspended.

Apparently you're confusing me with someone defending Neal. He deserves what he got. And slew foot is a match penalty. He'd get suspended for that and the punches regardless of the injury.

Okay, so the hearing is today, and here is my prediction(which could be TOTALLY WHACK) and reasoning. I think that Shanny is going to post his video, and the suspension to Thorton will be around 20 games. :o  Pick up your jaw, because I don't think that he will serve that ammout. The following is my reasoning, synical as it may be. 

The NFL is in the process of damage control and large law suits due to concussions in the game.  The players are saying that issues were swept under the rug and not addressed in a timely manner that put them at risk, and later in life they are paying the price of NOT addressing thing like hits to the head and such. BIG dolllars are at stake for the league.

Same thing is now happening in the NHL.   Lawsuits are being brought by former players against the league.    The league needs to somehow "SHOW" that it acknowledges the problem and is tying to take steps to protect its players. On ice incidents are going to always happen, but he'll try to make the point that the league needs to rid itself of senseless acts that endanger players. So I think that Shanny is going to step up, and lower the boom with a big suspension to show that this is not acceptabe in the game because the NHL 'NEEDS" to protect its prime resouce, the players.

Step in NHLPA.  The Players association will step in and immediately protest the suspension based on the grounds of the collective bargaining agreement and the fact that Thorton has never been suspended in his NHL career. They'll point to other incidents in the NHL that have either not drawn suspensions, or much lighter ones, and state that it was all in the heat of the battle.  I don't think that it will get as far as going to an arbitration type hearing, but in the end, I think that the suspension will then be reduced to 5-10 games.  

Shanny and he NHL will throw up its hands and say, "Hey, we tried" and make it a point at every possible moment to show that they are concerened about concussions.  The NHLPA will say, "Hey we're here to protect ALL the players, which includes incidents like these".  Everyone will say that the did their jobs,

That's my Synical take.

Okay, so the hearing is today, and here is my prediction(which could be TOTALLY WHACK) and reasoning. I think that Shanny is going to post his video, and the suspension to Thorton will be around 20 games. :o Pick up your jaw, because I don't think that he will serve that ammout. The following is my reasoning, synical as it may be.

The NFL is in the process of damage control and large law suits due to concussions in the game. The players are saying that issues were swept under the rug and not addressed in a timely manner that put them at risk, and later in life they are paying the price of NOT addressing thing like hits to the head and such. BIG dolllars are at stake for the league.

Same thing is now happening in the NHL. Lawsuits are being brought by former players against the league. The league needs to somehow "SHOW" that it acknowledges the problem and is tying to take steps to protect its players. On ice incidents are going to always happen, but he'll try to make the point that the league needs to rid itself of senseless acts that endanger players. So I think that Shanny is going to step up, and lower the boom with a big suspension to show that this is not acceptabe in the game because the NHL 'NEEDS" to protect its prime resouce, the players.

Step in NHLPA. The Players association will step in and immediately protest the suspension based on the grounds of the collective bargaining agreement and the fact that Thorton has never been suspended in his NHL career. They'll point to other incidents in the NHL that have either not drawn suspensions, or much lighter ones, and state that it was all in the heat of the battle. I don't think that it will get as far as going to an arbitration type hearing, but in the end, I think that the suspension will then be reduced to 5-10 games.

Shanny and he NHL will throw up its hands and say, "Hey, we tried" and make it a point at every possible moment to show that they are concerened about concussions. The NHLPA will say, "Hey we're here to protect ALL the players, which includes incidents like these". Everyone will say that the did their jobs,

That's my Synical take.

Well thought out... Guess we'll see starting today. I've been saying 20 from the start. Hadn't thought about the NHLPA getting involved though.