Jagr Notches Career Goal #695...Eyes 700 Milestone

From NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=700673&navid=nhl:topheads

695 goals. Just amazing.
700 will be the big milestone and he most likely will get that before this season ends and he even may have an outside shot at catching Mike Gartner and sole possession of 6th all time at 708 career goals...he certainly will do so if he plays next season in the NHL.

He just passed Mark Messier for 7th all time.

The most incredible thing about his career is that he spent large chunks of it OUTSIDE the NHL.
Imagine what his numbers would look like had he played the whole time with the league.

Some could argue however, that due to the more physical nature of the NHL compared to other leagues that he may not have been able to do much more than he has now (due to tighter defenses, time off for injury, etc), but that is all speculation.
No matter how you slice it, the man has carved himself out a complete HOCKEY career..yes, hockey..not just NHL career.

Thing is, Jagr is still in tremendous physical shape. One forgets he is a soon-to-be 42 yr old playing with the most talented guys in their hockey primes!

I think he keeps playing as long as he still has that desire to compete and can still will himself to go through the preparations and rigors on a full NHL season.

If he has that desire, hey, Phil Esposito with his 717 career goals could be in danger of being bumped down a notch!

The National Hockey League will surely be calling Mr. Jagr for the HOF the first chance he'd be eligible once he does call it a career.

Congratulations to a great player and competitor...once the 2nd to Mario Lemieux, he has long established his own aura as one of the NHL's all time best.

7th all time, passing Mess, amazing accomplishments!  Jagr has been great for a long, long time. Mr.Esposito should be looking over his shoulder. I'm hoping Jagr plays next year also, would be great to see him play one last year. I thought he might be done after getting no goals in the Bruins run last year, but he was playing a sound positional game although not chipping in with the offensive numbers. The consummate professional this guy, staying in great shape at 42 is no easy task. I doubt it's about cash at this point, just a warrior who knows nothing else trying to hang on, and looking great doing it!

• Like 1