There are man games lost and then there are man games lost

yave1964

Several teams have more man games lost than the Wings, but no team in the game has had the run of injuries to significant contributors that the Wings have had.

Zetterberg 21 games and counting. Lost for the year.

Datsyuk     27 games and counting. Likely lost for the year.

These two are our best players.

Franzen 28 games

Helm      37 games

Weiss     40 games

Andersson, our initial fourth line center is currently out, and will miss a couple of more weeks.

So our forwards our top four centers are all out as well as our top two wingers.

In goal Jimmy Howard missed 20 games. On defense we have remained relatively healthy (knock on wood) but Dekeyser, Ericksson and Kindl have all missed significant time, but fortunately our seven man rotation when we lost one another has been able to step in.

This is not an attempt to denigrate anyone, the Penguins lead the league in man games missed and have lost significant contributors especially on the blue line and have managed to fight through it and challenge for the top record in the East. They should be commended.

She Sharks in the West are second in man games missed but other than Couture among forwards and a few on the blue line from both Burns and Boyle most of their man games missed have been among lesser players.

I do not know a single team that could lose all four of their centers and their top two wingers and still win. The fact that we are still somewhat in the mix for a lower end seed says more about the parity among the lower end of the East than it does about the Wings. The Wings are in contention along with half a dozen teams for the two lowest seeds, also known as the two teams that the Bruins and Penguins get to practice against in the first round.

Just saying, with the man games lost to significant contributors the Wings have done a marvelous job staying in contention.

From the Pittsburgh Standpoint, we share your pain.

Letang 22 games -  Likely out for Season

Martin 31 games - Likely out for rest of regular season

Those are our two top player on the blue line

Neal 22 games - Out indifinetely with coucussion

Dupuis 23 games - Out for the season

Bennet 39 games - Hopefully back soon

Add in the variety of others, and we're approaching 400 man games lost.

Although  Crosby and Malkin have stayed relatively healty(Malking has missed 10 games) their linemates have been a mix and mash fillins.  How they have stayed near the top of the east all year as well as led the league in both PP and PK % I have no idea.

Cudos for both of our teams continuing on in the face of all of that.

Edited by nossagog

@nossagog

Pittsburgh deserves kudos, Letang is a massive loss, Martin is to a lesser extent. Agreed, factor in Dupuis, and now Neal, it is remarkable that the Pens are where they are.  Bennett to me is a great unknown, I thought he would make the top six easily and I even drafted him in fantasy, lol.

Yave, what do you think about whether the GM's will agree to the olympics again.  Both our teams have lost players that were injured at the games.   I don't mean to be a selfish fan, but it hurts to see star players out of NHL lineups

@nossagog

I cannot stand the NHLers shutting down for the Olympic break and the worst case scenario really hit home with a half dozen teams this year. Factor in the Olympics are in Korea next season and I seriously expect juniors to play in the next Olympics. I frankly think they will be more interesting that way anyway.