2013-14 Playoff Format

hf101

@jammer2

@brelic

Brelic makes a good point.  It's clear the NHL is trying to minimize the time zone issue - it's why you have East/West and why they realigned last year.

As fun as it would be to eliminate the East/West deal come playoff time it would lead to some scheduling (for television purposes) issues and some serious travel time.

Using my prior post...

Tampa - Los Angeles

Anaheim - New York

San Jose - Toronto

Colorado - Philly

That's 3 of 8 series being played across all 3 time zones and a 4th across 2.

@jammer2

@brelic

Brelic makes a good point.  It's clear the NHL is trying to minimize the time zone issue - it's why you have East/West and why they realigned last year.

As fun as it would be to eliminate the East/West deal come playoff time it would lead to some scheduling (for television purposes) issues and some serious travel time.

Using my prior post...

Tampa - Los Angeles

Anaheim - New York

San Jose - Toronto

Colorado - Philly

That's 3 of 8 series being played across all 3 time zones and a 4th across 2.

Yeah, there's no way they go to a format that could have teams criss-crossing the continent in Round One.

Is not basically the entire Eastern Conference in the Eastern Time Zone? I just don't see the issue with it.

As for travel - they've got Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Buffalo, Tampa and Florida in the same division...

Yeah, there's no way they go to a format that could have teams criss-crossing the continent in Round One.

Is not basically the entire Eastern Conference in the Eastern Time Zone? I just don't see the issue with it.

As for travel - they've got Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Buffalo, Tampa and Florida in the same division...

The Ottawa-Florida flight is 3 hours. Which is reasonable. 

But the bigger factor is, as you point out, that they are in the same time zone. 

Yes but at least a 7:00 p.m. start in Florida is also a 7:00 p.m. start in Ottawa.

I could be wrong but I don't think the issue is the actual time travelling - these guys fly charters.  Not coach. ;)

It's the time difference.

Yes but at least a 7:00 p.m. start in Florida is also a 7:00 p.m. start in Ottawa.

I could be wrong but I don't think the issue is the actual time travelling - these guys fly charters.  Not coach. ;)

It's the time difference.

Right, which is why they simply won't have a cross-country playoff format from the jump.

But, let's face it, the idea that guys are going to be on six hour flights (New York-Los Angeles) or eight (Vancouver-Miami) 2-3 times in the first round is a non-starter from the jump.

Keeping it "in the division" is fine for the West - and that's likely why they have it here.

That said, every division in the West has teams that are in different time zones...

I like seeding 1-8, period.

So lets say we have Pittsburgh 1, Boston 2.

Then we have     Toronto  7     Columbus 8.

So in the first round you have automatic divisional match ups between teams 2-3 regardless of record but you would have Pittsburgh/Toronto and Boston/Columbus when with a simple flip flop you have them playing within their division.

Either go to a simple 1-4 from each division and play each other in the first two rounds or go division winners followed by 3-8 in order. The current system has #3 Tampa forced to play #4 Montreal which is a distinct disadvantage over teams 5-6 playing each other. There is no rhyme or reason to it, it is flawed and needs readdressed.

But that it one lovely thing about the schizophrenic sport we all love, if you do not like something, stick around a little bit, they will change it.

Holy shite we agree!  It is odd to have a guaranteed 2-3 matchup within the division but not a 1-4.  That all hinges on the Wild Card.  Of course, I'd rather have the Wild Card since it improves the chances of a team with fewer points getting in over a team with a higher point total.  Plus us Eastern Conference schmucks have more teams to deal with.