Which NHL team to support

nhlfan125

Hello,

I am a new user who has just been watching the NHL for the past few years and is now thinking of which NHL team to support. Below is a list of the potential teams from which I want to support a team. Please could you advise me which would be the best pick and why.

Boston Bruins

Chicago Blackhawks

Colorado Avalanche

Detroit Red Wings

Los Angeles Kings

New York Rangers

New Jersey Devils

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Lastly a have a few questions about some of the teams which I have listed;

Chicago Blackhawks: Would they ever have to change their name or logo? As an original six team I would wish they stayed how they are but with the recent controversy surrounding Indian names for sports teams would they be effected? I mean it's not like their logo is offensive like the Cleveland Indians or their name like the Washington Redskins.

Detroit Red Wings: Are they stable in Detroit? I mean their fan base is huge especially with the success they have had but would Detroit's economic conditions ever force them to leave? I am only asking this as the NHL tends to be considered last in popularity of the four major american sports.

Colorado Avalanche, Los Angeles  Kings and New Jersey Devils: I have grouped these three together as I wish to know do they have enough of a fan base to not be relocated. I mean I'm guessing the Kings do but what about the Devils are they safe despite the NY Rangers and NY Islanders play in the same media market as them. Are Colorado also safe as I have seen they had an exceptional fan base with the sellout streak they had but since the last five years or so their attendance has dipped? So are they a secure franchise or not?

Pittsburgh Penguins: Lastly do they have enough of a fan base to stay in Pittsburgh. I ask this as they are the only NHL team and the only team in the four major american sports to go bankrupt twice. I have read up on why they went bankrupt the second time. Although a lot of people say they are bandwagon fans and after Crosby and Malkin they will go back to poor attendance and eventually Kansas City? Please could some Penguins fans also give me their view on this matter as well please.

Sorry about the relocation talk it is I just don't want to pick a franchise who obviously I support with a passion and they end up moving. A big thank you if you reply to this topic. 

@nhlfan125

Welcome!

My 'unbiased' opinion is the Philadelphia Flyers.  They have a rich history which would be fun for you to learn about and give you a great sense of the team.  They are a team that everyone (other than Flyers fans) love to hate and they are great fun to watch.  They have some very talented players on the team and quite a few new up-and-comers that could very well set them up for a very bright future.  They are a team which is usually in contention, being in the playoffs more often than not. 

Plus we have a great group of fans on this board that are very knowledgeable, passionate and just fun to chat with or read.  I get a lot of my humor from the board.  :)

Welcome again and whomever you pick, it's great to have you.

Boston Bruins

Chicago Blackhawks

Colorado Avalanche

Detroit Red Wings

Los Angeles Kings

New York Rangers

New Jersey Devils

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

My top three would be (not necessarily in any order): 

1) Detroit- Their knack for scouting and drafting is bar none. Their ownership is elite (unlike NY Islanders).  The coach is (imo) the best in the league. Add into that they have some really good players and you can't go wrong. 

2) Colorado Avalanche- While a basement bunny for a couple of years, they are a rising team with incredibly skilled players. A good coach (an ass as an individual, but a good coach none-the-less) and an excellent GM. 

3) Philly Flyers- Similar to detroit, they have committed ownership, history and a passionate fan base. Their teams are always competitive. 

4) Honrable mention- Columbus. The they are a new team (relatively) to the league and after years of mis-management, have finally turned the corner. Their President / GM is highly knowledgeable, there coach fits the youth of the team well and they play a style that is enjoyable to watch. 

Edited by Vanflyer

4) Honrable mention- Columbus. The they are a new team (relatively) to the league and after years of mis-management, have finally turned the corner. Their President / GM is highly knowledgeable, there coach fits the youth of the team well and they play a style that is enjoyable to watch.

Totally agree. A team on the rise with some of the best D-men in the league. Plus they play an up tempo game with speed, grit and effort.