Sens sign Anderson 3 yrs at 4.2 per....

jammer2

Does anyone else think this is an odd signing? After an outstanding 2012, the 33 year old goalie regressed last year and was mediocre most of the 13-14 campaign. Was the regression due to age? If so, it's a big risk signing this guy for 3 more years. What kind of goal is this guy going to be playing at 36?   

Next question...what kind of message does this send Robin Lehner?  He's supposed to be the heir apparent for the Sens #1 job, but it appears they have effectively blocked him for 3 years, not many teams pay back-ups 4.2 mill. Perhaps the 4.2 becomes fairly reasonable when the cap goes up a few times and teams will try and trade for Anderson, if Lehner were to fulfill his promise. If I were Lehner, I'd be looking to ply my trade in another city, this contract seems like a slap in the face. There should have been an open competition for the Sens job, but this contract kind of prevents this, if it's close, Anderson wins....I don't think that is fair. I just read that Lehner just signed a 3 year extension....what goes on here. The one thing I do know, Anderson's deal does not kick in until the 15-16 season, he plays this year under his old deal. This is pretty odd, the whole thing.

Of course, this is all coming from the same management group that traded the stud goalie Bishop for Conacher and a 4th round pick....and then cut Conacher for nothing.....brilliant. Murray should be unemployed for that stunt alone.

If I were the GM, there's no way I would have given Anderson that kind of money. When he's good, he's very good, but when he's bad, he's horrid. There was too much horrid for my comfort last year. I'm not sure Anderson is going to keep the starting job through the season. I have a feeling we're going to regret this one...

@ScottM  There are a few scenarios where it can work out of the Sens. If they both play great next season.....which is possible, a contender dealing with goalie issues (ie injury or breakdowns like Fleury etc) might pay a pretty penny to secure the services of Anderson at the trade deadline....plus, he would not be a rental, he's signed for 3 years after this one. Anderson's play against Pittsburgh 2 years ago, basically singlehandely keeping the Sens in a tight series against a more powerful team....gives him instant credibility for stellar Stanley Cup play, which can up his value considerably. I doubt any of this happens, but it is one of the scenarios where the Sens can turn this whole thing into the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

@ScottM  There are a few scenarios where it can work out of the Sens. If they both play great next season.....which is possible, a contender dealing with goalie issues (ie injury or breakdowns like Fleury etc) might pay a pretty penny to secure the services of Anderson at the trade deadline....plus, he would not be a rental, he's signed for 3 years after this one. Anderson's play against Pittsburgh 2 years ago, basically singlehandely keeping the Sens in a tight series against a more powerful team....gives him instant credibility for stellar Stanley Cup play, which can up his value considerably. I doubt any of this happens, but it is one of the scenarios where the Sens can turn this whole thing into the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

If he's the guy we had 2 years ago, I'll be a happy camper. He should have won the Vezina this year. The thing that worries me about finding the pot of gold is that I've never managed to reach the end of a rainbow. Lol

If he's the guy we had 2 years ago, I'll be a happy camper. He should have won the Vezina this year. The thing that worries me about finding the pot of gold is that I've never managed to reach the end of a rainbow. Lol

He does not have to be the player he was two years ago, as long as he is not the goalie he was last year, somewhere in between would have gotten them in the playoffs last season.

This signing says in essence that Robin Lehner is a goner, or thoughts must be in the organization that Robin Lehner is not the solution.

Really, 4 million a year is not bad at this point in Anderson's career, I think he is immensely talented, a bad blue line didn't help, a bit of a loss of confidence, a team that never gained traction, when a team wins the goalie gets more credit than he deserves, when they lose he gets more blame. Still, Anderson had a bad year (ask my fantasy team) but I think the contract is set up to make it very easy by year three if they have found something better to get out, most of the salary is front loaded making him more enticing later in the deal to another team looking for a goalie for one year.

He does not have to be the player he was two years ago, as long as he is not the goalie he was last year, somewhere in between would have gotten them in the playoffs last season.

This signing says in essence that Robin Lehner is a goner, or thoughts must be in the organization that Robin Lehner is not the solution.

Really, 4 million a year is not bad at this point in Anderson's career, I think he is immensely talented, a bad blue line didn't help, a bit of a loss of confidence, a team that never gained traction, when a team wins the goalie gets more credit than he deserves, when they lose he gets more blame. Still, Anderson had a bad year (ask my fantasy team) but I think the contract is set up to make it very easy by year three if they have found something better to get out, most of the salary is front loaded making him more enticing later in the deal to another team looking for a goalie for one year.

Maybe it's an overreaction on my part, but I'd rather see the larger investment going into Lehner. Is Anderson talented? Sure. He couldn't have posted the sparkling numbers he put up 2 years ago if he weren't. My biggest issue is the fact that in my gut, I feel like Lehner will end up taking the starting job at some point this season. As jammer2 said, the kind of money Anderson will be making in this deal is a lot for a backup. The reduction in pay as the contract progresses helps, since he becomes more movable if things don't work out, but it still concerns me.

And I didn't really address in my earlier posts what this says to Lehner. If he decides that he wants out after this, I couldn't really blame him. I think the Sens might have messed up the chance to hold on to an excellent young talent in the long run. But that's just my 2 cents.

@ScottM

I am not trolling believe me, we need more posters in here from other teams, but from the outside looking in, I am not impressed with Lehner, and feel the team would have been better served to have dealt him to the Lightning and kept Bishop, I think they have overrated him as a prospect. I see him as a run of the mill backup and nothing more, nothing in his stat line jumps off the page to me and makes me want him as an integral part of any team I am rooting for. I am not saying he is not an NHLer just not a quality starter. Soto me, signing Anderson long term is the best option and I get it.

@ScottM

I am not trolling believe me, we need more posters in here from other teams, but from the outside looking in, I am not impressed with Lehner, and feel the team would have been better served to have dealt him to the Lightning and kept Bishop, I think they have overrated him as a prospect. I see him as a run of the mill backup and nothing more, nothing in his stat line jumps off the page to me and makes me want him as an integral part of any team I am rooting for. I am not saying he is not an NHLer just not a quality starter. Soto me, signing Anderson long term is the best option and I get it.

Maybe you're right. Time will tell. I definitely agree that they never should have dealt Bishop, though. I was very unhappy when they did, and he's already showing what he's capable of in TB. I hope Anderson returns to form. Oh boy, do I ever hope he does. He just scares me in that he's too up and down. But here's another thing that worries me: if Anderson or Lehner go down with an injury (which Anderson did for a while 2 years ago) I don't know what we'll do for a quality backup. I'm not so sure that Driedger is ready for the big time.

Archived