Bobby Lu, Happy in sunshine

yave1964

Bobby Luongo seems to be the most relaxed goalie in Hockey so far this year, win or lose.

The Panthers are a team of young talent mixed with old journeymen mostly, players playing out the string looking for one more paycheck at a low tax rate. But for Roberto Luongo his March trade last season bringing him back to the Panthers after eight years in the fishbowl that is playing in Canada, specifically with the underachieving Canucks was a blessing.

"The only reason I came back was that I felt things were different with the new ownership and their commitment to bringing in some new players and trying to build a winner," he said. "I think we have a good nucleus of players, and we brought in some good veterans -- guys who've won the Stanley Cup. Hopefully we can put things together and make a run for a playoff spot."

Luongo spent five seasons with the Panthers before being traded to Vancouver, but he kept his offseason residence in South Florida and said he's delighted to be back in the area he calls home.

"It's nice to be able to get in my car and drive down the street and go to a practice or a game," he said. "It's great to be able to be at home and still do something I love."

The quotes from Lu are from an interview with the NHL network. Not a day or two after the trade, BUT LAST WEEK. Yes, even after seven months he is still all aglow over being back with the Panthers.

He is off to a 1-2-1 start on the new year with a shutout, every time the camera pans to him during a stoppage or a timeout I fully expect him to burst into song and go pirouetting all the way to center ice before he blushes, realizing that he has had to much emotion burst forth in front of the 300 or so Panther fans in attendance and then sheepishly go back to his crease. He may be the only one, but someone is happy to be playing hockey again in South Florida.

Well, division opponent to my Lightning aside, I am glad Luongo IS happy where he is.

With him in net, if the Panthers get ANY semblance of a solid defense in front of him, I have no doubt the Panthers can do more than what they have so far.

The team certainly has the work ethic.

I've said it many times last year: If you don't work hard while you play the Panthers, even if you are more talented, those guys WILL beat you.

Thing is, they have many 'green' guys...and some of the mistakes they make on the ice are pretty glaring.

And they may have a vet or two who perhaps the Panthers can afford to replace sooner than later.

Still though, best thing any team can have is a good, healthy, talented (and in this case HAPPY) guy manning the net...and Florida certainly have that in Luongo.

Too bad more fans don't go to games there to see him play and watch the younger players develop.

Not sure how good Florida's TV audience is, but it isn't translating to 'butts in seats', and yea, I do believe that can be deflating to some players.

Archived