Anyone else liking Nestrasil?

SpikeDDS

OK, he's not piling on numbers, but I've been watching Nestrasil make some pretty darn nice plays which, unfortunately for him, haven't resulted in many goals. I think he adds more speed than would either of the veteran players he has leapfrogged to get In the lineup, and he isn't making any of those silly or costly errors we've seen other young (or not-so-young) players make defensively. (No names mentioned)

I'm hoping the stats start to come for him. He's playing his role very well and making our team better.

Anyone else seeing this?

@SpikeDDS  I must admit, have not seen a ton of him, but what I did see I liked. He plays away from the puck very nicely, beyond his years there. Supports along the boards well also. He not only leapfrogged some vets, but also other prospects like Pulkanen for example. Gotta be doing something right. Had decent stats in Grand Rapids, I'm sure the pts will come....it's hockey karma, work hard, the pts will come.

@SpikeDDS

to me, Mantha would have been a perfect fit in the lineup, sadly his injury ended the discussion of him coming out of juniors this year.

Down on the farm, i might have give the next shot to Pulkinnen, he of the huge slap shot, offense a specialty, damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead. I watch a fair share of Griffin games online, admittedly i am concerned that his game will not transfer to the NHL. Guys who wind up for a big slap shot are succeptible to the poke check which seems to be the i move among blueliners nowadays.

Not a fan of Callahan or Ferarro i doubt they have a career. Nosek is in his first year in North America and a bit old to be a real prospect, but he comes highly recommended.

Andreas Athanasiou looks ridiculously skilled in Grand Rapids, remember the name. He is in his first year in the AHL, he might get a cup of coffee this year, look for him and Mantha BOTH to make the team next year and to be two of the top prospects for rookie of the year.

But Nestrasil. He is big, he is fast, he is fearless. Like you said, pointsarent coming but he busts his butt. I would rather give a heart and soul kid like him a shot any day of the week than sign a 30 something vet on his last legs to a league minimum deal, or put Dan Cleary (remember him?) out there. Personally i would have given Weiss a shot first but obviously he might be the Wings worst signing since Uwe Krupp.

so yeah, good for giving the kid a chance. That means, Tatar, Nyquist, Glendening, Nestrasil, Sheahan and Jurco all have established themselves as every night performers in the last 12 months. 6 of our 12 forwards on any given night have been around for a year or less. Completely rebuilt on the fly and still in contention. Amazing.

@yave1964

Familiar with Athanasiou, and depending on who and how many are hurt up front, it wouldn't shock me if we see him some in Detroit this season if he continues to show the same level of performance in GR as he has in earlier levels.

I like the trend for the PP in the last couple of games, but if it should take another dive, Pulkinnen's shot sure would seem to come in handy there. Obviously we don't want to rush him, but if the PP goes back to being freaking anorexic and stays that way, I might consider pulling the trigger on giving him an opportunity.

Nyquist seems to have that ability to position himself well for puck reception and shot. He's smart, and it's paying off. Having someone who has that innate ability to be at the right place at the right time is vary valuable. Hope he keeps it up.

I thought his assist on Tatar's goal was VERY nice, as was Tat's finish. For whatever reason, we don't see that much of those kinds of goals from behind the net like that. I dunno if it's just our increased speed which allows us to do it, but I like it. We can't always count on guys one-timing shots from the points. I'd like to see us develop more plays from behind the goal line and make that more of a regular part of our game. Seems like in the past, behind the net has been more of a means to switch sides of the ice than to threaten ala Thornton. I could be making more of this than is deserved, perhaps, but I liked it, and I liked that Datsyuk didn't do it. It's the kind of pass and or goal I expect from him, and to have others doing it in addition to him and without him makes us a better team by far.

@SpikeDDS

The Wings have seven guys among their every day forwards who are 25 years old or younger, the six mentioned plus Joakim Andersson. Throw in Pulkinnen, Athanasiou and Mantha all of whom will be there in the immediate future, and the Wings ONCE AGAIN have retooled their forwards on the fly.

I make no bones that i am critical of Holland for not bringing in the pieces needed to improve the club, but i have to hand it to him. If several years of first and second round knockouts and sneaking in to the playoffs is all part of a master plan where we have this many forwards ready to step into key roles, i begrudgingly hand it to him for showing the enormous patience that he has used. I think every year you need to do everything possible to make a deep run and still feel he left the team high and dry, a piece or two short for the past several seasons. But his basically giving Jarnkrok to the Preds and then not resigning Legwand shows how a move such as i have screamed for can go so terribly wrong.

So yes, Holland and his patience has paid off with a young fun and exciting bunch of kids to go with vets such as Z, Pavel, Mule and Helm. I gotta tip my hat to Holland and say that while i may not like the past several years now we are retooled, rebuilt and ready for a bright future.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived