Dang you Girgensons! Sabres best Wings 3-2 in shootout

yave1964

Thoughts on the Wings 3-2 shootout loss to the Sabres tonight.

Girgensons looks really ridiculously tough against the Wings, I am not saying this to get on Blocker's good side, the kid scored a couple against us last year, he set up the Sabres first goal by Flynn with his hustle and tenacity around the net and scored the winner in the shootout. I think he might be the only forward on the entire Sabres team i would want.

The first period might have been the most boring hockey i have ever seen. Chris Osgood, filling in for Redmond on the road trip said it reminded him of a morning skate. Just ugly, nobody wanted to play.

The Wings absolutely outplayed the Sabres, outshot them, out everythinged them. They even had the winner on a shot by Zetterberg waved off in overtime (rightfully so)because Franzen was in the crease. They were up 2-1halfway thru the third, the Sabres didn't have a shot on net in the third until about that point, Stewart scored a fluky goal to even it and the Wings suddenly got mad and started playing. Too little too late.

Lashoff was bad today, poor decision several times. Shaking off the rust. Brendan Smith and Dekeyser turned it over several times in there own zone leading to goals against. Datsyuk was simply sick, 2 points giving him 10 in 6 games since he came back and carrying the puck for large portions of the game.

Back to Girgensons. I always study an opposition player when the Wings play, he was the one i keyed on, great 5 on 5 night, killed penalties, third among forwards in ice time, can someone explain how on Earth the boy had zero power play time? Not one shift. He and Ennis seem to be about the only thing going for these guys, why on Earth isn't he given a chance with the man advantage and yet Torrey Mitchell, the Ghost of Chris Stewart and Tyson Strachan all had shifts with the extra man? For a team struggling to score goals to give guys like Hodgson, Moulson and Gionta as well as Stafford extensive PP time and this kid wo constantly carried the puck deep and played hard while so many others seem to be content to play for a paycheck, is beyond me. Give him Poewer play time an see what you have.

Lastly, hats off to Michael Neuvirth. He stopped 36 of 38 shots and played a solid all aroundgame in net. When the Wings were pressing for the one that would have made it 3-1 he came up huge over a five minute stretch and held them at bay allowing his team to tie and eventually win the game.

My Three Stars of the night:

3. Datsyuk

2. Girgensons

1. Neuvirth

But the Canes knocked off the Kings!! Holy cow they are neck and neck at the first turn......

Its kind of funny we are talking about it this early in the year, yet I think @jammer2 was the one to say that McDavid is a generational player (ie. Crosby-esque).

For a team struggling to score goals to give guys like Hodgson, Moulson and Gionta as well as Stafford extensive PP time and this kid wo constantly carried the puck deep and played hard while so many others seem to be content to play for a paycheck, is beyond me

I respect Ted Nolan.  But, he makes some baffling decisions about power-play forwards.  Last year, one of those was Leino.  He scored zero goals all year, but was on the PP.  Now,  he chooses the underachievers you mentioned.

I dunno.  Maybe it's because he's one of mine, but game in and game out, Z is Buffalo's best forward.

I know Nolan likes him.  And, I know that Nolan only wants the best for him. 

Hard to figger.

Archived