Picture of Gordie Howe in his prime......

Vanflyer

@Vanflyer  I knew Gordie was muscular, but his traps are much bigger than I ever imagined. Good Lord, I just quiver when thinking about one of those elbows making contact with opponents heads.....most without helmets to boot. I would venture to guess that Gordie was singlehandenly responsible for hundreds and hundreds of concussions before they even had a damn name for it....ha ha!!!  If I was going to make a sports to entertainment comparison, I'd say Gordie Howe was the entertainment equivalent of John Wayne.....and that's for real.....Pilgrim.

I knew Gordie was muscular, but his traps are much bigger than I ever imagined. Good Lord, I just quiver when thinking about one of those elbows making contact with opponents heads.....most without helmets to boot.

How true. How insane would you have to be to want to dance with him?? 

@Vanflyer  Yeah, Gordie was one mean S.O.B.....so was his linemate, Terrible Ted Lindsay....the production line....I believe that is one of the greatest nicknames for a line ever....so very fitting when you see how strong the auto industry is to this very day in Detroit. Without the Big 3, that place has tumbleweeds going down Gratiot. Plus, the line had this hard working grit, same as the guys who worked the lines in the 40's, 50's and 60's. The auto workers, at that time, were underpaid for their services......the Production line was in the same boat, the Detroit owner was quite the tightwad back in those days.

Thank you for this!

Obviously a bit young to remember Gordie, I was 8 when he played his last game with the Wings. I do remember when he returned to the NHL and actually played in the All Star game with the Whalers. Over the years I have read so much of his career, Mr. Hockey still resonates in a way that most of his contemporaries do not. Literally one of the three or four greatest players of all time, his beating Lou Fontinato down is one of my favorite stories involving the legend, but my favorite two involve the WHA.

One was with the Aeros, John Tonelli, then a kid out of Juniors stolen by the WHA was put on a line with Gordie. After a shift, Howe leaned over to Tonelli on the bench, Tonelli wordlessly expected words of wisdom instead How simply wiped his dripping nose on Tonelli's sweater. Tonelli said he was so in awe of Howe that he simply sat there wordlessly until the next shift.

The other was also the WHA son Mark went into the corner with a tough and was getting the worst of it. Gordie skated over and told the player to let Mark up, the response is unprintable as the guy kept beating on Mark Howe. Gordie responded by lifting the tough off the ice. By his nostrils.

He literally put two fingers in the guys nostrils and held him in mid air until all the fight was out of the guy. Mark once said sadly that if Gordie had played in todays game he would have been suspended three or four times a year. My personal opinion is that says more about what is wrong with the game today than Gordie.

Again, @Vanflyer thanks for posting this.

Scan10281.JPG  Both of these cards are from their time with the Aero's.....Did not see the famous card, basically a portrait of the family playing for the Whalers....that card was very cool....just can't locate it to post it.

Archived