Top Defensive Players by Defensive Errors - Leafs Leaders - 2014-2015

WordsOfWisdom

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@WordsOfWisdom

Leafs lose 5-4..fair enough, the Rangers are a good team. The "top" line (and I use that term loosely) goes a combined -10. Good job guys.

Yeah. There's really no point in me commenting on it anymore. It's another lost season for the Leafs. The team is going to get dismantled, and another "rebuild" will be under way soon. No light at the end of this tunnel. The Toronto sports spotlight is there for the taking and nobody wants it. Will the Blue Jays make an impact this summer? Will the Raptors become a force in the NBA? Toronto sports fans haven't had anything to cheer for in any of the major pro sports. Typically, one franchise will be good if the others suck. I can't name another city where every sports franchise sucks and where every franchise in the city has been irrelevant for two decades. :mellow:

What I can say though, is that after ~50 games of testing, I'm really pleased with the results that I'm getting from my Defensive Errors stat. There are a few tweaks coming for next season to increase accuracy, but overall the results don't lie: Cody Franson showed again how weak he is defensively with his give-away. Kessel left his man wide open for the winning goal. Rielly lost his coverage behind the net that resulted in a goal and then screened Reimer on another goal. He's another Franson in the making.

The latest team totals:

post-1448-0-78139200-1423860456_thumb.pn

I've also been considering some alternate visualizations for the statistic. I'm not sure if people understand "RATE". Perhaps it could be renamed to MPBE (Minutes Played Between Errors).

Another way to view it would be as EPGA (Errors Per Game Average) where you calculate DE / (TTOI / 60). That gives a number that looks more like a batting average in baseball -- except lower is better -- but is probably more familiar to fans.

Example: 

Nazem Kadri has an EPGA of .763, meaning he makes .763 DEs per game.

Stephane Robidas has an EPGA of .326, meaning .326 DEs per game.

Feb.17: TOR vs FLA

1. Bjugstad (FLA)
  2. Granberg (TOR)
  3. Komarov (TOR)
  4. Bozak (TOR)
  5. Bolland (FLA)

Final score: 3-2 FLA.

Most power play goals in one game this season. This game really confirms the importance of assigning the DE to the player in the penalty box.

A changing of the guard is underway! Komarov's rare mistake means a new defensive king is crowned: Panik is now the Leafs leader with only 1 DE in 51 GP.

In other news, Bozak (once the team leader in this category) is on the decline: he picked up his 6th DE and slipped to 7th place on the team. (Smith, Robidas, and Bernier just moved ahead of him.)

@WordsOfWisdom

Ya, there's rock bottom and then theres what the Leafs are doing. Buffalo may have the worst roster in the NHL, but in a 7 game playoff I take them for the sweep over the Leafs. That entire team should be ashamed of themselves for what they're presenting as "pro hockey" to paying fans.

@WordsOfWisdom

Ya, there's rock bottom and then theres what the Leafs are doing. Buffalo may have the worst roster in the NHL, but in a 7 game playoff I take them for the sweep over the Leafs. That entire team should be ashamed of themselves for what they're presenting as "pro hockey" to paying fans.

Exactly. At least Buffalo fans aren't paying $200 a ticket to watch a "blunt" Sabres team.

This thread is like a catalog of carnage. When the season is over, I'll have data on what the worst defensive team in the league looks like. :o

Mar.5: TOR vs TB

1. Brewer (TOR)
  2. Robidas (TOR)
  3. Paquette (TB)
  4. Gardiner (TOR)
  5. Lupul (TOR)
  6. Killorn (TB)

Final score: 4-2 TB.

Welcome to the Leafs Eric Brewer! (First defensive error as a Leaf.) Robidas had a rare crappy game.

Some random analysis... 

David Booth has the fewest errors of all Leafs "regulars", but he gets almost no ice time.  Komarov and Panik are still going strong.

Bernier has been very solid lately, and has outperformed Reimer all season long in this statistic.

I also notice a log jam forming at the bottom. Gardiner, Phaneuf, Rielly, and Polak (all defencemen) have 15 errors each. Is the statistic unusually harsh on defencemen or are the Leafs D-men their weakness? Robidas and Holzer are the only D-men not at the bottom of the list. Perhaps when analyzing results, defencemen will need to viewed separately from forwards.

Eric Brewer popped up (out of nowhere) and made his first error of the season in arguably one of the most laughable defensive breakdowns of the year.

It's amazing how many errors Franson has. The rest of the Leafs "D" may not catch him despite an additional 20 games played!

:mellow:

@WordsOfWisdom

When you play 12 forwards and basically 6 defencemen, the D are going to look worse numbers-wise when (a) nobody on the team is giving an effort and (b) you're losing.

This is true. The difference in ice time really is staggering. Although in terms of minutes played between errors, a good defenceman should be equivalent to a good forward. (Or at least that's what I was hoping for.)  :huh:

I'd also like to see more separation among the defencemen. (Good, average, and bad.) All season long there's been Robidas, and then everyone else. Franson is the only guy that really stands out for being terrible defensively.

Then there's the case of Phaneuf: I keep hearing the media say how great of a defenceman Phaneuf is. To which I say: show me. Phaneuf is getting tagged for defensive errors as often as Polak, Gardiner, and the rest of the gang. If Phaneuf is the Leafs best defenceman, he shouldn't be making that many defensive errors and shouldn't be near the bottom of the list. The stat is specifically designed to isolate individual player performance. If Phaneuf has 15 errors, it's because of 15 mistakes that he made which resulted in goals, not his linemates. Perhaps quality of opposition comes into play here? :confused[1]:

Mar.9: TOR vs NYI

1. Leddy (NYI)
  2. Hamonic (NYI)
  3. Kessel (TOR)
  4. Hamonic (NYI)
  5. Booth (TOR)
  6. Lindstrom (TOR)
  7. Lupul (TOR)

Final score: 4-3 (OT) NYI.

Mar. 11: TOR vs BUF

1. Phaneuf (TOR)
  2. Dalpe (BUF)
  3. Strachan (BUF)
  4. Lupul (TOR)
  5. T. Smith (TOR)
  6. Weber (BUF)

Final score: 4-3 (SO) Tor.

Mar. 13: TOR vs CGY

1. T. Smith (TOR)
  2. Kessel (TOR)
  3. Bollig (CGY)
  4. Gardiner (TOR)
  5. Phaneuf (TOR)
  6. Rielly (TOR)
  7. Schlemko (CGY)
  8. Rielly (TOR)
  9. Hiller (CGY)

Final score: 6-3 CGY.

post-1448-0-32393200-1426363358_thumb.pn

Mar.14: TOR vs VAN

1. Panik (TOR)
  2. Kessel (TOR)
  3. Brewer (TOR)
  4. H. Sedin (VAN)
  5. Kessel (TOR)

Final score: 4-1 VAN.

Well, the law of averages has caught up to Phil Kessel. Earlier this season people kept telling me he was crap defensively but he wasn't getting charged with many defensive errors. Lately he has been awful. This game was a glaring example.

JVR has taken over the #1 spot on the team (see the TVP thread).

Panik is charged with a rare error.

Bozak continues to be crucified by the +/- stat but isn't being charged with any defensive errors... a perfect example of just how inaccurate the +/- stat really is. The best thing for Bozak (at least in terms of +/-) would be to play on a line without Kessel.

Finally, Brewer has been a dog pile for the Leafs defensively. Three errors already in limited action. Ridiculous.  :)

Archived