Most unlikeable Boston Bruins player of all time

JagerMeister

Back inna day, we were big Canadiens fans.  We were an hour from Montreal, the kids played in a Quebec league, and HNIC was the only TV coverage, so they were our home team..  The tough guys for Montreal and the Bruins were John Ferguson and Teddy Green.  We cheered John and booed Teddy.

One night, they got into a pretty good scrap.  Ferguson won the fight.  He got ahold of Greens jersey, pulled it over Teddy's head, and pounded the crap out of him.

On a Hockey Night in Canada broadcast shortly after this fight, Green was asked about his whupping.  He made no excuses.  The only comment he made was that next time, he'd have his sweater sewn to his pants.

How can you detest someone who shows that character and honesty?

He may have not been as impressive looking on the ice, but he still got the job done, and is a top 20-15 player of all time.
this is true. Then who couldn't if they stood in front of the net like an oak tree deflecting shots.

this is true. Then who couldn't if they stood in front of the net like an oak tree deflecting shots.

Luc Robitaille and Dino cicarelli were similiar players, garbage goal scorers but they still didnt get as much goals or points as Phil did. Phil also lead the league in assists 3 times, as well as being 2nd in assists 4 times. 

Luc Robitaille and Dino cicarelli were similiar players, garbage goal scorers but they still didnt get as much goals or points as Phil did. Phil also lead the league in assists 3 times, as well as being 2nd in assists 4 times.

Phil had a better supporting cast in Boston and the Rangers Phil had a better supporting players in Boston and the Rangers

Phil had a better supporting cast in Boston and the Rangers Phil had a better supporting players in Boston and the Rangers

yeah, ofc, better supporting cast. Phil would be nothing without Orr!!!...except when he played in the 1972 summit series and was the best player there? Or when Phil won the art ross in 1968-69 when Orr only played 647 games and wasnt even a ppg player yet. You dont just get alot of goals by standing infront of the net as much as he did, you also had to of had a good and accurate shot as well as some smart positioning.

yeah, ofc, better supporting cast. Phil would be nothing without Orr!!!...except when he played in the 1972 summit series and was the best player there? Or when Phil won the art ross in 1968-69 when Orr only played 647 games and wasnt even a ppg player yet. You dont just get alot of goals by standing infront of the net as much as he did, you also had to of had a good and accurate shot as well as some smart positioning.
by the way you are talking you have never seen him play?

by the way you are talking you have never seen him play?

Unfortunately no, im assuming you have right? But right now, im proving to you esposito wasnt a product of Orr, i did just tell u what he accomplished without orr.

Unfortunately no, im assuming you have right? But right now, im proving to you esposito wasnt a product of Orr, i did just tell u what he accomplished without orr.
yea I did. The Bruins and Rangers were loaded with talented players not just Orr. Unfortunately some names escape my memory. I only trying to say he wasn't as good as his numbers say he was!

yea I did. The Bruins and Rangers were loaded with talented players not just Orr. Unfortunately some names escape my memory. I only trying to say he wasn't as good as his numbers say he was!

Well, looking at him play, its hard to be impressed by him really, He stood right infront of the net and just positioned himself till someone passed to him. He still got the job done though, and thats all that really matters in the end.

The Bruins were not really loaded with talent. Other than Orr and Esposito I think only Bucyk and Cheevers are in the HoF. Cheevers was good but not really on the level of Parent, Dryden, or Esposito (Tony). Bucyk was good but a lunch pail type player, worked hard but not a skill player. And he was past his prime when the Bruins won the first of their two Cups with Orr and Esposito. Hodge and Cashman (Esposito's line-mates on the top line) were the same type- grinders and hard workers. In an interview talking about the 74 Finals against the Flyers, Orr said that they knew that if they didn't get scoring from the top line they wouldn't win the series. That should give you an idea of the lack of depth talent-wise on that team.

Esposito was pretty one dimensional, but at that one dimension there was no one better. No one even close really. Apart from being an immovable object he had fantastic hands a great release. If he got the puck on his stick anywhere near the goal, regardless of how many guys were hanging on his back, there was a good chance the puck was going in. He definitely benefited from playing with Orr, but at the same time Orr certainly benefited from playing with Esposito, who complimented him perfectly.

I never liked Espo that much, but it's ridiculous to deny his talent. If it was easy, everyone would have done it. But no one else did.

The Bruins were not really loaded with talent. Other than Orr and Esposito I think only Bucyk and Cheevers are in the HoF. Cheevers was good but not really on the level of Parent, Dryden, or Esposito (Tony). Bucyk was good but a lunch pail type player, worked hard but not a skill player. And he was past his prime when the Bruins won the first of their two Cups with Orr and Esposito. Hodge and Cashman (Esposito's line-mates on the top line) were the same type- grinders and hard workers. In an interview talking about the 74 Finals against the Flyers, Orr said that they knew that if they didn't get scoring from the top line they wouldn't win the series. That should give you an idea of the lack of depth talent-wise on that team.

Esposito was pretty one dimensional, but at that one dimension there was no one better. No one even close really. Apart from being an immovable object he had fantastic hands a great release. If he got the puck on his stick anywhere near the goal, regardless of how many guys were hanging on his back, there was a good chance the puck was going in. He definitely benefited from playing with Orr, but at the same time Orr certainly benefited from playing with Esposito, who complimented him perfectly.

I never liked Espo that much, but it's ridiculous to deny his talent. If it was easy, everyone would have done it. But no one else did.

I truly enjoy watching Orr play. He skated well. Did he have bad knees? I'm still amazed on how they went to and won the cup in '70 and '72!

Archived