Most unlikeable Red Wing of all time...

yave1964

This was ran in the Bruins forum, so I figured why not try it in here too.

For me:

Bob Probert. Hands down, nobody even close. He gets Gold, Silver and Bronze.

What an absolute waste of talent. The man could fight like nobody ever, the most feared tough guy in the history of the game, even made an all star team once and played on a line with the Great one. Talented, could score, a monster intimidator, just so much talent,

And he threw it all away to put cocaine up his nose.

God I remember those late eighties Wings teams, Jacques Lemaire breathing life into the Dead Things, doing everything he could to get the team to buy into his concept of team first, individual second play, and here is Probert, year in and year out getting one drug suspension after another and one arrest after another. And then he bolted for Chicago as a free agent when he got reasonably clean and sober.

I made the mistake of buying and reading his book, Tough Guy which he was finishing when he died of a heart attack while out boating. His wife Danni finished it. My God what an Ass the man was, nothing was ever his fault, blame the world, blah blah blah. A tremendously talented player who could not see past his coke filled nose and see how he wasted a career that could have and should have been so much better. An absolute ass who I feel set the team back five years as they waited, hungrily for him to kick the habit and get it together for the sake of the team, but he never could.

Probably next on my list is Bertuzzi, nothing against the way that he played for the Wings, 45 point a year fading power forward with back issues, he gave it all when he could play, but I just hated having him on the Wings because of the whole Steve Moore thing. Didn't like him, didn't want to like him.

For me, Sean Avery. Though his stint with the Wings was short, I actually MUCH prefer Bertuzzi to him.

Bertuzzi at least showed remorse and contrition for what he did. Avery never did.

Certainly Bert's incident was worse than anything Avery ever did, but for Bert, that incident was more the exception to his usual behavior. He certainly played and conducted himself differently after the incident. Avery never changed.

Bert was a better hockey player too.

I kinda felt sorry for Probert. I really never did for Avery. Probert did do it to himself though. Cocaine can be such a trap. Doesn't mean that Probert wasn't responsible tho.

And he left his mark on Red Wings history. Few fighters are in his league. Avery didn't leave any kind of positive mark.

When Avery left, it was good riddance.

For me, Sean Avery. Though his stint with the Wings was short, I actually MUCH prefer Bertuzzi to him.

Bertuzzi at least showed remorse and contrition for what he did. Avery never did.

Certainly Bert's incident was worse than anything Avery ever did, but for Bert, that incident was more the exception to his usual behavior. He certainly played and conducted himself differently after the incident. Avery never changed.

Bert was a better hockey player too.

I kinda felt sorry for Probert. I really never did for Avery. Probert did do it to himself though. Cocaine can be such a trap. Doesn't mean that Probert wasn't responsible tho.

And he left his mark on Red Wings history. Few fighters are in his league. Avery didn't leave any kind of positive mark.

When Avery left, it was good riddance.

When Avery left any team, it was good riddance

Archived