Timonen interview on 94.5

hf101

Kimmo Timonen On Potential Comeback: ‘Pretty Excited About What Might Come’

He still has the passion to play one more playoffs. "I want to retire with my skates, not my shoes,"   But...   "I don't think blocking shots is the issue," Timonen told WIP. "I think it's more there's a really good chance you'll get a new blood clot in your lungs if you stop the medicine. I think that's gonna be the issue: how I can play hockey and probably take some kind of medicine for preventing the blood clots to form. It's gonna be a lot of talking the next few weeks and making sure if we can find a way which is safe for me to play. If not, we all know what's the story there. I don't really know what's the outcome of the next four weeks."

"I want to retire with my skates, not my shoes,"  

Listen to the interview:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/01/09/kimmo-timonen-on-potential-comeback-pretty-excited-about-what-might-come/

He came on the air just as I was pulling into the parking lot at work. I stayed in the car a few minutes to listen to him. I love this guy. He has become one of my all-time favorite Flyers. He's a skilled defenseman and has a certain toughness to him that I admire. He's not a fighter, but he was always in on the scrums and not afraid to sacrifice his body. He's tougher than the average skilled European player.

I also admire the fact that he wants to play, sounds like he's still working out, and at 39 isn't ready to retire. I also feel really bad for him that it's ending so abruptly. It's easier to pity a guy like that than one who is clearly unhealthy and clings to his career far longer than he should. But he's never going to play again. It's not uncommon at all to be on blood thinners for a very long time, if not the rest of your life, once you go on them. I hope that he can find peace with that and if he wants gets a job in the organ-I-zation.

He came on the air just as I was pulling into the parking lot at work. I stayed in the car a few minutes to listen to him. I love this guy. He has become one of my all-time favorite Flyers. He's a skilled defenseman and has a certain toughness to him that I admire. He's not a fighter, but he was always in on the scrums and not afraid to sacrifice his body. He's tougher than the average skilled European player.

I also admire the fact that he wants to play, sounds like he's still working out, and at 39 isn't ready to retire. I also feel really bad for him that it's ending so abruptly. It's easier to pity a guy like that than one who is clearly unhealthy and clings to his career far longer than he should. But he's never going to play again. It's not uncommon at all to be on blood thinners for a very long time, if not the rest of your life, once you go on them. I hope that he can find peace with that and if he wants gets a job in the organ-I-zation.

Nice post, completely agree.

Wrap him in Kevlar and let him play.

I wish him the best, too bad we couldn't win the Cup a few years back. He is one of a few Flyers who deserved to win it all for the way he gives it his all for the team. If he does come back, I would like for them to trade him to a contending team so he can retire a champ.

If he does want to coach, would love for them to hire him to teach the young dmans we have on the Phantoms on how to properly play d. He would really help the small guys on how to properly position themselves against big players. He can be a successful coach as he has alot of patience and that is a plus with young players.

I wish him the best, too bad we couldn't win the Cup a few years back. He is one of a few Flyers who deserved to win it all for the way he gives it his all for the team. If he does come back, I would like for them to trade him to a contending team so he can retire a champ.

If he does want to coach, would love for them to hire him to teach the young dmans we have on the Phantoms on how to properly play d. He would really help the small guys on how to properly position themselves against big players. He can be a successful coach as he has alot of patience and that is a plus with young players.

He's definitely one of those guys you get bummed for about him not winning a cup. I genuintely feel bad it didn't happen fo rhim here.

Archived