Weird stat

SpikeDDS

So far this season, the Red Wings are 7-3-1 when they trail after the first period.

Opponents CANNOT count us out.

Do you realize how much that contrasts with the previous few seasons?

We better not rely on maintaining that kind of record though. As the end of the season approaches and the defenses tighten, it will be more difficult to come back when the opponent takes the lead early.

Still, a cool stat, and further evidence that last game wasn't a fluke. (though let's not try it again any time soon, OK boys? ;-)

Nice stat, i didn't notice that one.

I agree, in years past, falling down 2-0 at the end of the first was usually a sign to turn the channel but these guys can tighten up defensively, back check like crazy shutting down other teams and gaining control of the game. We can turn the tide back our way in a hurry.

What is their record when trailing in the first period on the first Tuesday after a full moon when recording an odd number of shots and taking more than 2 penalties?

1-0-0

The only game that fits that description so far this season was the game on 1/6 against the Oilers. We won 4-2 after being down 1-0 after 1. We had 3 penalties called against us, and had 41 shots. You can look it up yourself.

What do I win? ;-)

P.S. Hey @WingNut722, that's the last research you get from me for free, got it? LOL!

1-0-0

The only game that fits that description so far this season was the game on 1/6 against the Oilers. We won 4-2 after being down 1-0 after 1. We had 3 penalties called against us, and had 41 shots. You can look it up yourself.

What do I win? ;-)

P.S. Hey @WingNut722, that's the last research you get from me for free, got it? LOL!

I'm speechless...just speechless!   :huh:

1-0-0

What do I win? ;-)

Penguin season tickets :)jk

• 3 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread, Helene St. James reported in today's Freep that the Red Wings now have an 8-11-2 record when TRAILING going into the 3rd period for a .381 winning percentage. This leads the league, and only further supports the stat I gave at the to

Of this thread, which, BTW, has IMPROVED since I wrote that.

This is significant IMHO, because in the post-Lidstrom era, and even toward the end of the Lidstrom era, the Wings would talk about playing like veterans giving them a chance to win games, but they really weren't very good at it. No more than average, anyway. And we have not been a team that tends to start consistently well, so we end up playing catch-up hockey. And catch-up hockey is USUALLY losing hockey, unless you are playing for the 2014-2105 Red Wings, because they have a winning record when trailing after 1, and are better than winning 1 in 3 even when they are trailing after 2. This is quite a remarkable shift.

That Dallas game was a case in point. Ugly game, but a perfect example of how dangerous the Red Wings have been this season in the 3rd. Same with last night's game, and that was a better-played game. You can't count this team out!

OK, after this afternoon's 3rd period comeback victory over the league leading Nashville Predators, their record when trailing going into the 3rd is now 9-11-2! Incredible, considering it was only the Preds' 5th regulation loss at home this season.

Red Wing hockey. It's not for the feint of heart! ;-)

OK, after this afternoon's 3rd period comeback victory over the league leading Nashville Predators, their record when trailing going into the 3rd is now 9-11-2! Incredible, considering it was only the Preds' 5th regulation loss at home this season.

Red Wing hockey. It's not for the feint of heart! ;-)

Spike!! Holy cow, 12-6-1 on the road over the past two months! Un freaking believable and Marchenko with a goal too!!

Archived