Panthers to hire Peter Luukko

DaGreatGazoo

The Panthers will announce the hiring of former Philadelphia Flyers executive Peter Luukko on Friday, the Miami Herald has learned.
A high-ranking source within the Florida organization said Luukko -- who left his position as Flyers' team president and COO of the organization's Comcast-Spectacor operating arm in 2013 -- came highly-recommended from NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

REALLY makes me wonder what exactly happened in Philly 2 years ago.  

• 1 month later...

A good read on an Interview with Peter Luukko.

https://buzzonbroad.com/flyers/exclusive-interview-peter-luukko-opens-up-about-his-legacy-in-philly-future-in-florida/

There are certainly a lot of transplants down here, but the team hasn’t had a backing because it’s had very little success in the past decade,” said Luukko. “We need to revive that, and we need to revive the excitement around hockey in South Florida. It’s a real big challenge, which is right up my alley.”

Naturally, the opportunity that arose down in Sunrise, Florida with the Panthers didn’t appear at random. The ownership has had endless talks with Commissioner Gary Bettman about their desire to stay in the Sunshine State, a sentiment that Bettman himself subscribes to.

Luukko, whose relationship with Bettman has been both strong and well documented, was at least ready to listen to what they had to say. It was the combination of a golden opportunity to be the man behind the scenes of another success story and a long-term business relationship with the head honcho that landed the 54-year-old with the Panthers.

“Peter, are you gonna do me a favor or am I going to order you to meet him?”

Bettman’s words were as close to a Godfather quote as NHL executives can get, and Luukko of course obliged. Now, a few months later, he finds himself in a position of power at an organization that has young marketable talent and the potential to grow exponentially.

And he’s just the man for the job.

I wonder if Luukko will someday replace Bettman?

Archived