Praise for Petr

WingNut722

The Detroit Red Wings now have three healthy goaltenders as Jimmy Howard has emerged from a groin injury and Jonas Gustavsson is back from a separated shoulder.  Their next game is this Wednesday at Consol against the Penguins, an extremely tough building to play in, especially during a slogging road trip.  Mike Babcock has already selected his starting goaltender.

Petr Mrazek.

This is a huge (but well-deserved) compliment for the kid.  He's been playing incredibly well, not just for a third-string call-up, but for any pro goalie.  The Wings are 8-1 since he took office, with .914 Save% and 2.42 GAA, both of which are 20th in the league among all active goaltenders.  I think this is a huge opportunity next season for the Ken Holland to pocket the 1.85 Million from Gustavsson after this season and bump up Mr. Mrazek to permanent backup behind Howard.  

@WingNut722

It looked like the worst of all possible times to lose Howard didn't it? Mrazek stepped up as the boys started their longest road trip of the year, basically spending most of January on the road and on 2 home games in February as well, Mrazek saved our rear. Honestly, I said before the year if we could trade Howard I believe the best combo for the Wings might be Mrazek starting and Gus as a solid veteran backup. Howard has been tremendous but Mrazek has done nothing to change my mind. And we are so deep the kid is ticketed for Grand Rapids with nothing to prove, unless we release Gus.

Personally I would send the kid down but if Gustafsson is playing poorly or Howard gets injured again I would not be afraid to start the postseason with him on the roster. Send him down to keep him sharp. 3 NHGL caliber goalies, what a very nice problem to have!!

@yave1964

Very much agreed.  Keep Gus for the remainder of the season, then offer a hardy handshake and help put his bags on the bus.  Here's something else to ponder though...should Howard really be sent to Grand Rapids for a conditioning stint?  This gruelling road trip to make hell on a guy who hasn't seen the ice in 3 weeks.

I dunno. It's probably unlikely that he'd be wanted, but Monster as a trade deadline add-on? I'd be VERY comfortable with Howard-Mrazek or even Mrazek-Howard going into the SCPs. Sweeten the deal for Myers? ;-)

Prolly wishful thinking though.

I dunno. It's probably unlikely that he'd be wanted, but Monster as a trade deadline add-on? I'd be VERY comfortable with Howard-Mrazek or even Mrazek-Howard going into the SCPs. Sweeten the deal for Myers? ;-)

There are teams in need of a netminder out there who are in the race, maybe the Monster reuniting with Nill in Dallas, who desperately need a goalie for down the stretch to push Lehtonen. I doubt we could get much, a second or a third maybe. My only thing is I would rather have Mrazek in Grand Rapids playing every game and staying sharp rather than rusting on the bench down the stretch. If Howie goes out, I think that we call up Mrazek and start him in the postseason. But I would rather have him fresh.

good luck against the Pens on Wednesday night! Go Pens!

Archived