Kuemper Recalled From Iowa

HockeyLady

You know, Darcy Kuemper was sent to Iowa on a "conditioning stint' after he spent a bit of time on IR.

He has a one way NHL contract, so Minnesota can't keep him down there without putting him through waivers first.....but now that he is recalled, I wonder if the Wild really ARE going to follow through with their hints that they were gonna carry THREE goalies!

Devan Dubnyk has played so well that you certainly don't want to just yank him out of there, Nik Backstrom has been ineffective, but still has about two years left on his contract, and Kuemper, the guy who was SUPPOSED to be the number one for the Wild this year, has been anything but.

Minnesota will NOT be trading Dubnyk, doubt they give up right away on Kuemper and trade him (or would they??), and Nik Backstrom, as ineffective and injury prone as he has been, probably has no trade value, unless the Wild would be willing to give him away.

So that leaves Minnesota with....sigh...three goaltenders.

Oh, and I was at the Colorado-Minnesota game on Saturday (Dubnyk was in net, he got the shut out), and I noticed on the out-of-town scoreboard an AHL score.....Toronto Marlies 5, Iowa Wild 1.....Guess who was the goaltender when the Iowa Wild were blasted in that game?

Yep.

Darcy Kuemper..... :unsure[1]:

I certainly hope Kuemper's focus was mostly on just trying to get fit for NHL duty again....and not that the numbers he put up in the AHL (pretty dismal, including that pasting on Saturday) are what Wild fans can expect to see from him now that he is back.

Team is going pretty well right now, and I want Kuemper to succeed.....but right now, Coach Mike Yeo would be a fool to replace Devan Dubnyk.

You know, Darcy Kuemper was sent to Iowa on a "conditioning stint' after he spent a bit of time on IR.

Maybe a trade coming my Flyers are thin in goal now....so what is he making/how long is he signed for....damn i miss capgeek!

Maybe a trade coming my Flyers are thin in goal now....so what is he making/how long is he signed for....damn i miss capgeek!

Darcy Kuemper is making $1M this year, and will make @1.5M next season, then he will still only be an RFA. His cap hit is currently $1.25M.

So his salary numbers are reasonable.

I miss capgeek too @OccamsRazor , but I have settled on nhlnumbers.com as my salary reference site.

Thing is, I have to wonder if Minnesota would really trade Kuemper. They still view him (at least they haven't said otherwise) as 'the guy' for them moving beyond this season.

If they trade Kuemper, they would be putting themselves in a position of being thin at goal themselves after the season is over (Devan Dubnyk is a UFA, and Nik Backstrom is NO LONGER a starter).

Ideally, I would think they would like to trade Backstrom and work with Dubnyk / Kuemper this season, but Backstrom's age, chronic injuries, low performance this season, AND salary will make that very difficult to do.

Darcy Kuemper, as a trade piece, DOES have the most value of the the three goalies....though his play this year may have diminished that a bit.

The other scenario I can see is, the Wild do trade Kuemper (not sure what they could get for him) and give Dubnyk a new contract to be their number one (not sure how sane that is, even if he has played well so far), keep Backstrom on as the backup, then move from there.

For now, the Wild have said they will carry three goalies...but that just seems....awkward...and not very effective to keeping all three goalies sharp.

I have no flippin clue what the Wild are going to do at the trade deadline with regards to goaltending (if anything)....keeping three goalies also uses up a valuable roster spot that could be used by an extra defenseman or another forward who could help them.

Darcy Kuemper, as a trade piece, DOES have the most value of the the three goalies....though his play this year may have diminished that a bit

Well the Dubster only cost you guys a 3rd so Kuemper shouldn't cost more than that.

Archived