What happens if we trade for a defenseman

Thrasher1993

Hey guys,

new poster here! I was just wondering what everyone is thinking regarding the trade deadline. I would love a top 4 rhd defenseman but I don't want to give up Mantha, Larkin, Pulkinnen to get them. That basically leaves players like Jeff Petry, Marek Zidlicky, Cody Franson. Do you think that Babcock would see them as an upgrade over Ericsson and pair him with Kronwall? (I do not want to split up DeQuincey, I think that has been our best pairing by a long shot.) I only will be happy with that trade if the defenseman we acquire plays with Kronwall on the top pairing. I don't want a fifth or sixth defenseman that will get powerplay time(where we do not need help)

Hey guys,

new poster here! I was just wondering what everyone is thinking regarding the trade deadline. I would love a top 4 rhd defenseman but I don't want to give up Mantha, Larkin, Pulkinnen to get them. That basically leaves players like Jeff Petry, Marek Zidlicky, Cody Franson. Do you think that Babcock would see them as an upgrade over Ericsson and pair him with Kronwall? (I do not want to split up DeQuincey, I think that has been our best pairing by a long shot.) I only will be happy with that trade if the defenseman we acquire plays with Kronwall on the top pairing. I don't want a fifth or sixth defenseman that will get powerplay time(where we do not need help)

Hey Thrasher welcome to the forum!! We need more Wings fans, invite some friends!!

We have been discussing trading for a top four d-man in another post a bit further down on this page. Franson was brought up., the short version is I don't think Shanny will deal him to us.

Jack Johnson has been my quirky choice, kind of under the radar but a super power play guy who would team with Dekeyser very nicely. I don't think the Wings would trade one of the players listed above 9They better not!) but maybe Jurco and a second might just get it done.

Again welcome, it is a small but loyal Wings contingent in here and feel free to visit the other teams in here and put your two cents in as well. It is a heavily Flyer dominated forum (no accounting for taste, lol) but rabid Wings, Penguins Blackhawks and more fans are everywhere and just a bunch of non trolls who love hockey abound!!

Well, MOST are non-trolls, anyway.

@Thrasher1993

Let me also welcome you to the forum. I think you'll find it an interesting mix.

@yave1964

Is one of my favorite contributors. The guy knows his hockey, and not just Wings hockey. Whereas I'm a bit more Wings-focused, Yave is a student of the game itself. He's got (mostly) great ideas, and excellent minor league insights. Check back often, and he'll teach you a thing or three.

It's kinda cool now seeing the names of players he was mentioning a few years ago at players to watch for now in the Winged Wheel.

Truthfully, you're coming in at a very good time. For the last few years we have been bemoaning our relative mediocrity, along with the lack of significant free agent acquisition, but there is no question that our insurgence of young talent, along with the promise of more young talent to come, that we are entering what should be a very good era here even as Pav & Z will be finishing their careers, and Kronner too.

Hope you post more than occasionally, and feel free to engage many of the other forum members as well. Most of them are also well-versed in the nuances of he game, although there are some who are definitely misguided. Most of them are Penguins fans!

;-D

Hey guys,

Welcome Thrasher!

Check Franson off your list chances are the Leafs likely weren't going to trade to a division rival.  Petry could be a realistic acquisition.  Don't count out  a Flyers d-man on the trade block, however a lot depends upon how far the team is away from a playoff spot in a few weeks.

Welcome Thrasher!

Check Franson off your list chances are the Leafs likely weren't going to trade to a division rival.  Petry could be a realistic acquisition.  Don't count out  a Flyers d-man on the trade block, however a lot depends upon how far the team is away from a playoff spot in a few weeks.

Believe it or not I have been watching Schultz a bit just for that eventuality. He blocks shots and hits a little bit, doesn't make a ton of mistakes and has a good first pass, not my first choice, Hell he isn't anyones first choice but worst case scenario he is tough and rugged and could help someone in the postseason. I wouldn't want McDonald and Grossman is still a smart player but really slowing down. Streit would be ideal but the Flyers would be foolish to deal him.Coburn is still making a living off that one good year and the occasional tease. Schultz, while unspectacular is steady and could help anchor a teams bottom pair nicely. If you expect more you are setting yourself for trouble but he is has some value.

@SpikeDDS

Thank you for the kind words guy, hey you come up with some damn good insight on a regular basis as well, don't cut yourself short. As a matter of fact, the Wings fans in here are a small but intelligent and loyal bunch, we just need a few more. Again, thanks for the compliment.

Welcome  @Thrasher1993!  Hope you enjoy the conversation and japes here at the Forum!  The devil appears to be in the details, and you're right, a top-4 D-Man would be wonderful, but not at the expense of the future of the organization. Quite honestly, the Wings may need to play the hand they are dealt this season, and as long as everyone stays healthy and everyone stays producing, they have a legitimate shot.  But then again, with @yave1964 hiding hidden microphones in the DRW front office, I'm sure we'll have our answer soon! :-)

In fact, I'm not entirely sure that @yave1964 ISN'T actually Ken Holland himself heading out in internet disguise to see what his loyal peasants are saying about the kingdom! 

Archived