Should NHL Restrict Movement to KHL?

jammer2

With the ruble struggling, the NHL has the upper hand, they should make some kind of rule to address the problem of players leaving mid contract. Seems to me, if they are gonna make a move to fix this thing, right about now would be the time. Don't know what they can do per say...but time to start exploring options....no?

With the ruble struggling, the NHL has the upper hand, they should make some kind of rule to address the problem of players leaving mid contract. Seems to me, if they are gonna make a move to fix this thing, right about now would be the time. Don't know what they can do per say...but time to start exploring options....no?

Well, they have addressed the RFA leaving phenomenon - teams retain their rights regardless of age when they return.

IMO, the only thing that would really stop the Kovalchuks from moving is an agreement between the NHL and KHL to cross-honor contracts. Which is somewhat in place now, with obvious (and HUGE) loopholes.

@radoran  The NHL could impose a rule where if you choose to leave in mid contract, you can't come back under any circumstances. With the Ruble sinking and the KHL itself not overly stable, I don't know a player in their right mind who would leave if faced with the chance of never playing in the NHL again. Maybe even create a +35 rule so guys like Jagr could move back and forth with no penalty, but the younger guys would be committing career suicide.

@radoran  The NHL could impose a rule where if you choose to leave in mid contract, you can't come back under any circumstances. With the Ruble sinking and the KHL itself not overly stable, I don't know a player in their right mind who would leave if faced with the chance of never playing in the NHL again. Maybe even create a +35 rule so guys like Jagr could move back and forth with no penalty, but the younger guys would be committing career suicide.

Pretty sure that would have to go into the CBA and I'm not sure that the NHLPA would agree to it - if for no other reason than it would limit their negotiating position.

Also, the Saudi oil spigots aren't going to be on overload forever so the ruble will eventually see an uptick.

The KHL really needs to get their heads out of their Russian posteriors and position themselves as a real international league instead of a playground for oil oligarchs if they want to be taken seriously.

@radoran  Agreed, the Ruble will eventually turn it around...you would think. I'm just wondering if the NHL could capitalize on Russia's misfortunes of late.

Ya know, the NHLPA might just be willing to open up the CBA for this issue...after all, they would be ensuring stability for their membership....no?

Also agree on the KHL being oil tycoon reliant. Until they grow into a true International league, they are merely play things for the Oil owning super-rich.

Archived